PDA

View Full Version : Y.a.t.p.h.

Steve Busey
02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Yet another tooth pick holder - seems to be a lot of these being done lately...

This is the first useful project off the lathe. Still taking baby steps into the Vortex. Grabbed the Wood mag article I heard about here and did my own version, substituting an oak-walnut glue up for the body, to match the salt and pepper shakers my dad made us a few years ago (circa 2004) and the matching napkin holder I did (circa 2007). Lid and cup are cherry, finial a piece of walnut. Finished with some Renaissance Wax I had on the shelf - not sure I like it as a finish though. Comments and critiques welcome - I know you guys here speak the truth when it's asked for!

81374 81375 81376

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Steve great job on the tootpick holder. I like the different woods and it does match the S/P mills. I use Antique Oil on mine or lacquer. I am just not a wax fan. Looks like it has a soft finish though.

Tom Sherman
02-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Great job matching it up Steve. I'm with Bernie on the finish I like the Antique Oil also.

Bill Embrey
02-11-2008, 1:05 PM
Steve, nice match to the existing goodies... you guys doing these as your "first projects" and looking this good are making me wonder what's in store down the road :).

I like the renaissance wax... but I put it on heavy and friction buff it... let it sit for a few hours then Beall buff....

Steve Busey
02-11-2008, 3:02 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll have to grab some antique oil on my next store run. How do you apply it: rub it on while spinning?

>> Beall Buff

Great, more money I need to spend... ;)

Ben Gastfriend
02-11-2008, 3:36 PM
Really nice. The glueup looks good, and now you have a nice matching kitchen set!

I don't like the wax. For something that's that handled and used, I'd go with some Minwax wipe on poly and then buff it in about a week. Nice durable glossy finish.