PDA

View Full Version : tear proof Latex Gloves

Tim Wagner
02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Anybody know of a brand that are heavy enough for me to use under the hood of a car. All the ones I get for work now are just to thin and easily torn.:mad:

James Jaragosky
02-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Anybody know of a brand that are heavy enough for me to use under the hood of a car. All the ones I get for work now are just to thin and easily torn.:mad:
painters use a hand cream / sealer that i use before doing anything dirty or greasy, when i get done everything washes off easily with soap and water.

Greg Cuetara
02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
I had bought some latex gloves from the borg and they just tore apart after a few minutes. When I was in the hospital with my LOML after she gave birth I 'borrowed' some of the medical latex gloves. They are a million times better. My suggestion is to go to a medical supply store and buy some gloves from there. I might be worth picking up a package to see if they work for you.
Good Luck,
Greg

John Mihich
02-11-2008, 4:35 AM
I use the 2 ply latile gloves from HF. They are a bit stronger then normal latex; they will still tear. I started using them when one of my cars was at the dealer's shop; all the mechanics were wearing them. That was about 4 years ago. I keep the box close by when I do tear one. The gloves are so much better then anything I had tried before.

John Hixon
02-11-2008, 7:33 AM
No such thing as tear proof.

I used to run a Matco tool truck. I sold Microflex.
For latex, try Diamongrip
for nitrile, try Supreno

The nitrile are the blue gloves, are tougher and resistant to more chemicals, like brake cleaner and such. Latex gloves just melt.

Nitrile don't stretch as much, so fit is more important.

Matt Meiser
02-11-2008, 7:36 AM
Instead of latex gloves, how about a pair of mechanics gloves? Most auto parts stores sell some by Mechanix Wear that are pretty good.

David G Baker
02-11-2008, 10:25 AM
I have been using Nitrile gloves for the past year. I was getting them at Sam's Club but my local store no longer carries them so I bought a box of latex gloves that they replaced them with. The latex are inferior to the Nitrile gloves. The Nitrile gloves will tear but it takes some sharp object or excessive abrasion before they do. The latex gloves sometimes tear in the process of putting them on.
When I was in the film processing job, I used a protective cream that protected my hands from the harsh chemicals. I think it was called liquid glove or something similar. The product was good around the chemicals but I had to be careful that I didn't leave fingerprints on the film I handled.
I haven't tried the mechanics gloves that Matt mentioned but I will check them out the next time I am in a NAPA store.

Richard M. Wolfe
02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
The last time I was in HF I went to pick up a box of nitrile gloves. There were more than one type on the table and as I was going through them a guy came over and picked up about ten boxes. He said he was a mechanic and used them and to get the nitrile gloves made in Thailand, not latex gloves.

I have yet to break into the box of the type he recommended so can't comment on their quality.

mark page
02-11-2008, 11:19 AM
I second the Nitrile gloves. They are blue in color.

Brian Elfert
02-11-2008, 4:02 PM
The blue nitrle gloves are on sale at HF right now for $6.99 for qty 100. I probably should stop and get some more. I'm not aware of HF having more than one type of nitrle glove.

I use these for working on my bus conversion and I very rarely tear one.

Justin McCurdy
02-11-2008, 4:25 PM
yet another vote for HF nitrile gloves. I don't even think about grabbing latex gloves anymore.

Prashun Patel
02-11-2008, 4:28 PM
Blue nitrile all the way. Latex blows.

James Rambo
02-11-2008, 5:39 PM
I work in the mantenance dept. at a hospital and we use any glove we find in the area of the work being performed. The latex almost always tear. If time is not a factor I try to find the nitrile they do not tear. I also have a few pair at home (I think they follow me home sometimes) and I use them under the hood of the car I am working on now.

Brian Morey
02-11-2008, 8:30 PM
No such thing as tear proof.

I used to run a Matco tool truck. I sold Microflex.
For latex, try Diamongrip
for nitrile, try Supreno

The nitrile are the blue gloves, are tougher and resistant to more chemicals, like brake cleaner and such. Latex gloves just melt.

Nitrile don't stretch as much, so fit is more important.

I second the microflex Supreno line.... as a firefighter/emt I use em a LOT and they are about the best I have found, but as has been mentioned any latex/nitrile glove has its limits.

Joe Chritz
02-12-2008, 4:07 PM
When I need gloves I just wait until the next injury accident and snag some out of the back of the ambulance.

Warning! Don't try this unless you happen to be invited, the medics look friendly but can bite if agitated. :D

The nitrile gloves are good for most light work but I use a vinyl exam glove for paint/stain and gutting deer. Not stretchy at all but tough and resistant to just about any thinner.

Joe

Tim Wagner
02-13-2008, 1:21 AM
Wow All the responses have been absolutely awesome. I will check out snappy tomorrow. Who is HF?

02-11-2008 7:36 AM Matt Meiser Instead of latex gloves, how about a pair of mechanics gloves? Most auto parts stores sell some by Mechanix Wear that are pretty good.

I use those mostly for the big stuff like setting the very cold rack, tires, exhaust, brakes, ect... But don't want them to get all nasty from the oil and grease.

Even if I use the protective film, I would still need to wash my hands before getting into a car. Some days I will do 15 Oil changes. The washing is what kills my hands, even with lotion they still dry out from repeated washings.

I never liked the blue ones because they didn't fit snuggly, but If the are more durable I will try to get used to them. anything is better than the bare hands I use now.

Thanks.