PDA

View Full Version : Tailstock Issue

Clint Schlosser
02-10-2008, 9:54 PM
I have a Jet 1220 mini-lathe and I have had great success in turning some pens and other spindle work with it. My new endeavor is to make mugs out of wood. I want to use a drill chuck on the tail stock to drill a hole in the center to make my life easier for hollowing out the center. My issue is that my live center that came with the unit does not come off it seems.

The people at my local woodcraft say it should just come off by using the metal pole usually used for removing the pen mandrel. So far all i could get to come off is just the little tiny point in the center of the center. What am I doing wrong?

Jason Hallowell
02-10-2008, 10:29 PM
It should come out if you back the quill out all the way. Sometimes it will need a firm bump at the end.

Bill Bolen
02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm surprised wc didn't tell you you have a self ejecting tailstock center. Just crank it all the way back till it stops. then give it another half (or less) crank and it will come off in your hand. Just seat the center back into your live center. It is supposed to come out for replacement or repair. If a drill bit is small enough you can also remove the point to drill through for lamps and such..Bill..