PDA

View Full Version : Where does your club meet?

Matt Meiser
02-10-2008, 9:47 PM
I just saw an announcement that the guy who has graciously hosted our local club's meetings for the last 4 years isn't going to be able to do so any longer. We've always met at his spacious, well-equiped shop and have been able to have live, hands-on demonstrations, which has been great.

I was wondering what other clubs do for meeting locations?

Charles Wiggins
02-10-2008, 9:59 PM
Our local meets in a couple of different members' shops and sometimes we have use of a meeting room of a local arts center.

Robert foster
02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
The Des Moines Woodworking Club mets at the Woodsmith Store. I think it is the second Tuesday of the month. I am 100 miles from there so I don't get there, yet.
Bob

Jamie Buxton
02-10-2008, 10:26 PM
We sometimes meet in shops, but most often meet in rented public meeting rooms. The downside to the public meeting rooms is that we can't have live demos. However, they have the space to hold our membership.

Bruce Wrenn
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
We used to meet at local high school, but school board decide to charge rent- RETROACTIVELY. We were out of there. Local Klingspor's Woodworking shop is now our meeting place. Workshops are held in member's shops. We do an annual banquet to kick off our Toys For Tots efforts. Last year we rented the senior center for about $400. This year, we will make a donation to the Salvation Army and use their dining hall. They are one of the biggest distributors of Toys for Tots. Make sense to help them, as we share a common goal.

Jason Beam
02-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Our general meeting is held once a month at the local Senior Center in a very large room. We usually have about 100-120 in attendance and a speaker most months.

Every weekend, there's something going on at someone's shop where about 20 usually show up and participate in a demonstration. We also periodically hold classes where about 5-7 members get some real hands-on experience with a given technique :)

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I am not a member of a local club.. but our local county club is pretty large and meets at Stone Mountain Power Tool on Saturday mornings. The store added a smaller bleacher and a work-bench for the meeting as the members usually purchase something latter since they are there. Sort of a scratch my back.. I'll scratch yours deal.

I'm sure you guys will come up with a solution that will be suitable.

Sarge..

Charlie Plesums
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
One Austin Texas club meets at the Woodcraft classroom, one evening a month. They offer a 10% discount on most items purchased the day of the metting. Their classroom has room for about 30 folding chairs, which we seem to always fill.

The other Austin club reportedly meets at one of the Hardwood lumber yards, one evening a month.

Gary Breckenridge
02-10-2008, 11:57 PM
:cool:Our club, Northeast Ohio Woodworkers Guild, meets the second Wednesday at 6:00 in the basement of the Rockler Store on Brookpark Road in Parma, Ohio. They have always treated us very well.:cool: