PDA

View Full Version : Disston 77 backsaw

Pat Zabrocki
02-10-2008, 9:22 PM
Does anyone have a picture of a Disston 77 backsaw etch. I picked up a backsaw on that bay for $5. Its a Disston one son with split nuts and eagle medallion. It has absolutely no set and it doesn't look like it was ever sharpened so that has me thinking it could be a 77. It has a little pitting and the etch is so faint that I don't even know what I'm looking at.

The old digital camera bit the dust so I'll have to get another before I can post better pics but here are the ones from online.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Pat

jonathan snyder
02-11-2008, 2:08 AM
Pat,

There are a few catalog sketches on the Disstonian Institute (http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/backsawpage.html). Says 77's were sharpened at 8ppi except for 1 1/4" at the toe filed at 12ppi.

Nice score, show us some pictures when you get a new camera and get it cleaned up.

Jonathan

Alan Turner
02-11-2008, 4:53 AM
Pat,
We have one, a 12". I won't be able to photograph the etch as it is too light. However, the No. 77 has a taper groud blade. By recollection, it is .025 at the teeth, and .016 or so at the top. You might check yours with a micrometer. The handle on ours looks similar to yours. Part of the etch says: For Mechaniks - Not Botchers".

I was told that it was the only backsaw that was taper ground, but I can't confirm that this is true.

It is a great saw! You made a wonderful purchase, esp. at $5.