PDA

View Full Version : chipout on cherry with ominijig

jerry kuceyeski
02-10-2008, 8:21 PM
i recently used my omnijig to dovetail the carcase of a chest of drawers that im working on. the wood is cherry. i have had this problem before but because of the direction of the grain on this particular piece, several of the tails exhibited small but annoying chipout spots on the sides of the tails. most are probably only 1/32 to 1/16th inch deep and about 1/8th inch long on the sides of the cut tails. they are all on the "entry" side of the dovetail bit, not on the backside.
my question is ......does anyone have any suggestions for concealing these small but obvious chips. i could use wood filler to fill voids, but they usually show like a sore thumb when finish is applied. (im sure that the purists will say to cut them by hand).
thanks for any suggestions......

Jason Scott
02-10-2008, 9:03 PM
Would the sacraficial board method work?

jerry kuceyeski
02-11-2008, 8:53 AM
i think a sacrificial board or just plain masking tape would have helped. but its too late for that. my question is what can i do NOW

jerry kuceyeski
02-11-2008, 8:54 AM
i think a sacrificial board or just plain masking tape would have helped. but its too late for that. my question is what can i do NOW to cover the chipout on the finished piece.....

Jason Scott
02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm not the most experienced guy in the world, but I have dealt with chip out a lot...I think if it is visible you just have to fill the area with epoxy or CA glue and then sand it once dry...That way it will appear flat, and definately to the touch...If you add sawdust it is going to make it very dark and noticeable, if it were me, I would just fill them with epoxy and then sand it all flush...hope this helps, and I'm sure others will have some suggestions, this is just what works for me...