PDA

View Full Version : How to make 2''circles?

richard poitras
02-10-2008, 7:02 PM
How or what is the easiest way to make 2’’ circles out of wood 3/8’’ thick? I need to make just a few for the veneer clock project that was in this month’s issue of Wood Magazine… thanks

NICK BARBOZA
02-10-2008, 8:23 PM
a hole saw... except you would have a hole in the middle..

Danny Thompson
02-10-2008, 8:48 PM
The problem with a hole saw is that the hole is 2", but the remaining circle is 2"- the kerf. Several options:

- A bandsaw circle cutting jig is probably best.
- You could rough cut the circles using a jig saw or coping saw and finish it off with a circle jig on an oscillating spindle or edge sander.

George Bregar
02-10-2008, 8:53 PM
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11196&cookietest=1

Bob Vallaster
02-10-2008, 9:28 PM
I'm not familiar with the article, but will presume the finished item should have no hole in its center.
1) Drill press and a 2 1/8" hole saw (with centering bit removed) should give about a 2" plug.
2) Lathe and with stock held in compression. Small pieces can be held by friction only, but do wear a faceshield and take light cuts.
3) Lathe. Spindle-turn a 2" dia x ~12" long piece and baloney-slice your pieces at the bandsaw or tablesaw.

Bob V.

Paul Girouard
02-10-2008, 9:35 PM
Hole saw , pick the closest one , that leaves a 2" circle. For a "no hole" one, cut one out with the mandrel installed , use the waste "piece" as a guide clamped to the real piece you want to save. Remove the mandrel bit , clamp guide to "real" piece , using the guide template you've made.

George's circle cutter has the same small hole issue. Maybe if it for a clock you need that hole anyway. If not now you know how.

Could turn one on the lathe but you'd still have drive center / dead center issues.

Thomas Canfield
02-10-2008, 9:41 PM
You could rough cut slightly larger than the 2" using a band, jig, or coping saw, and then use double stick tape to a 2" disc with hole. The disc with hole could then be used with a guide pin to turn against a disc or belt sander or a router bit to get to the finish to the 2" diameter. I prefer using the disc sander, but it works well making wheels that have an axle hole. Install a pin in a board and then clanp a stop to set the pin the correct distance from the sander.

Justin King
02-10-2008, 9:55 PM
Any reason that a forrestner(sp) bit would not work? I have them all the way up to 3 1/2".

J

Eric Haycraft
02-10-2008, 10:01 PM
I would break out a 2.5" forstner bit and make a template with that. Use that template with a plunge router, guide, and 1/4 inch bit to make the circles. You may have to shim it as you go around and should end up with a nice circle with little left to clean up on the sander.

I also have a circle jig for the router that will probably do a 2" plug, but if you are doing a lot of them the template may be simpler.

jacques nolin
02-10-2008, 10:11 PM
if you have many to make you could turn a cylinder on the lathe and cut out slices on your saw hope this helps

Nathan Odle
02-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Not that you'll find one in most peoples' woodworking shop, but if you're only dealing with 3/8" stock you might be able to get the job done with a spiral saw and circle cutting jig. The RotoZip in particular offers this capability. Same goes for the bigger Dremels. You'll probably have to do more than the usual sanding but they will at least be round. Hopefully you don't have to make too many of them :)

Joe Chritz
02-10-2008, 10:50 PM
CNC
Laser

You did ask for best but since if you had those you would have the circles done I would opt for a fine blade bandsaw or scroll saw.

Joe

Tim Reagan
02-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Router and a tramel. Great one in Router Magic.

Ken Mutch
02-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Hi
I would rough cut them to size (even square if you like!), stick them with DS tape to a sacraficial face plate and then turn 'em.
Enjoy, Ken

Mike Heidrick
02-11-2008, 1:07 AM
I like Jasper jigs. They are the speaker cabinet builder tools of choice :)

http://www.amazon.com/Jasper-400J-Router-Circle-Cutting/dp/B00009K77D/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1202709917&sr=8-4

Model 400 is the small circle maker.

Router circle cutting jig ideal for the speaker maker
120 different size cutouts in 1/16-inch increments
Made from 3/8-inch thick cast acrylic
Designed for smaller speaker cut-outs, tweeters and midranges
7-to-18-3/16-inch cutout range; 1-to-7-1/2-inch holes

Doug Shepard
02-11-2008, 5:21 AM

George's circle cutter has the same small hole issue. Maybe if it for a clock you need that hole anyway. If not now you know how.

Mine is a General (which may be the same one that Rockler sells?) has the center drill bit depth independent of the cutter depth so the center hole doesnt need to go all the way through.

Brian Kerley
02-11-2008, 9:35 AM
Fly cutter mounted in the drill press. Turn the cutter so it makes a nice plug instead of a nice hole.

rob forham
02-11-2008, 3:18 PM
You could buy 2" round stock and cut what you need.

JayStPeter
02-11-2008, 3:32 PM
The jasper jig works well. If you can't have a hole in the center, then make a larger hole as a template and use a template guide on a router taped to the workpiece. Go around in stages cutting through the piece a little at a time. On the last pass stop about every 1/3 the way around the circle and unplunge the router to leave a little web to hold the inner 2" circle in place. Go back later and cut it out with a utility knife and sand the web piece off. Otherwise, it might move into the spinning bit when it releases and get damaged.

richard poitras
02-11-2008, 6:37 PM
Thanks guys a lot of different ways to get the results I am looking for. Now I just need to decide what will work the best for me ….

Doug Shepard
02-11-2008, 6:48 PM
If you've got a disc sander available you can also put a shallow pivot hole in and turn them on a pin against the disc after roughing them out with a jig or bandsaw.