PDA

View Full Version : Solid Maple table

Steve Jenkins
02-10-2008, 6:38 PM
With all the talk lately of gluing up solid stock for table tops and such I thought I'd post a pic of a maple table I made about 1-1/2 years ago.
The legs go all the way through the top so the end grain is flush with the top surface of the table. Looks pretty cool. The client did not want any apron which is why there isn't one. The table is 55" square and the top is 1-3/4 thick.

Lee Koepke
02-10-2008, 6:48 PM
thats pretty nice.
simple design.
clean.

how is it holding up ? I look at stuff like that and wonder if there are any issues with the legs racking or moving....

Dave Verstraete
02-10-2008, 7:01 PM
Steve
Great looking table

How did you join those legs? I have something similar to build.

Mark Patoka
02-10-2008, 7:12 PM
I like the simple design also. I'm also curious about how the legs are joined and the sturdiness. It seems that the legs could easily get knocked loose.

Mike Cutler
02-10-2008, 7:30 PM
Very clean Steve. I like the simplicity of it's appearance, but I also know you had to put a lot of thought into it, or it wouldn't still be standing today.
Well done.

Craig D Peltier
02-10-2008, 8:47 PM
Ive built two similiar tables with legs coming through the top. I used an apron and spaced the legs 3/16 away from the top on both insides of leg due to wood movement adn attached apron to top with figure eights. I hope it holds up well over time. Somethings just dont seem to move and it works out.

Steve Jenkins
02-10-2008, 9:28 PM
I delivered some more furniture to the same folks two weeks ago and the table is just as flat and stable as the day I delivered it. Since there are no aprons the top can expand and contract as it wishes with no restraint and the legs just go with it.
I suppose that if you layed it on its side and sat on a leg it would probably break at the joint but other than that it is really solid.

keith ouellette
02-10-2008, 10:34 PM
That is a wood lovers table.