PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat

Bryan Rocker
02-10-2008, 5:56 PM
I have been looking at planers for quite some time. I was seriously looking at the Delta 13" and the Rigid 13" planers. Friday an antique woodworker put up a 20" Jet 220v planer on the local Craigslist. I stopped by Saturday morning and bought after it easily chewed through a 2X8 chunk of oak without any problem what so ever. It ONLY weights in at 700 pounds. After calling around I was able to find a hydraulicly powered trailer that made moving the beast a snap. It took me longer to jockey the trailer around than it did to load and tie it down. I brought it home, put a 220V plug on it and ops checked it. I did look at the 4 blades. There is a small nick at about the 16" spot where it looks like they had it a nail at some point in the past. It has a few minor bugs like no blade setting block and its missing a few handles and what not but other than that it works like a champ. :D

Now how would one go about finding this blade setting block? I am thinking about having the blades sharpened to remove the nicks.....

Here are my two helpers, KD (black lab), Pepper ( Catahoula/PITA)

Robert E Johnson III
02-10-2008, 6:09 PM
Looks like a beast. Great find Bryan and congrats.

Dave Ray
02-10-2008, 6:25 PM
Bryan, looks like a great find/buy. Google Old Tools, you will find sites that can lead you to the block. Your helpers look fine, did they really help you push that beast around? :rolleyes:

Peter Quinn
02-10-2008, 6:28 PM
Just ship it to my shop Bryan and I'll set the knives for you, I promise. Nice find.

David Tiell
02-10-2008, 8:03 PM
Nice move picking that up, Bryan! You have NO clue how close I came to sending my brother to pick it up before I finally posted it in the FS section! Put it to good use!

Dave

Bruce Page
02-10-2008, 8:32 PM
Nice score Bryan. Get yourself a set of planer pals for setting the blades. The OEM jigs are usually junk anyway.

Mike Cutler
02-10-2008, 8:49 PM
Nice pickup Bryan. You're going to like that a lot more than a lunchbox over the years.
As for that block; Are you needing to set the height of the cutterhead, or change the blades?

David G Baker
02-10-2008, 8:55 PM
Take a look at Bryan's expression in the second photo. That is the gloatingest expression I have ever seen . Great score!

Bryan Rocker
02-10-2008, 9:19 PM
No the dogs stayed out of the way when we moved it off the trailer. Actually it just rolled of the trailer. The trailer bed literally lowers down to the floor level with only a fews inches of drop as you roll it off. My wife and I had no problems getting it off.

As to the knives. I am looking at removing them to have them sharpened/replaced. It is not killer important yet but there is a small nick in all 4 blades in the same spot where it looks like they found a nail.......I managed to find a spot in the garage to park it while this super cold front moves through.....

Now I can start looking doing all sorts of things. The 8"x20" cutting area is impressive. Having said that, it moves a lot of saw dust so dust collection is next on my acquisition list, followed very closely to building a shop :)

PS I had already seen it on the CL before I posted on the other forums....

Eric Haycraft
02-10-2008, 9:22 PM
I"ll second the planer pals recommendation. I can't imagine setting my planer accurately without them. You may need three though for a 20 inch knife and they aren't cheap.

Jeff Miller
02-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Not to hijack this thread but dose anybody know how well these work?

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/family/web4973big.jpg

Jeff