View Full Version : ? type wood bowl

Kevin Main
02-10-2008, 4:57 PM
LOML wanted a bowl with a foot brought me this log wood unknown
and said please sanded to 240 finished with MW wipe on satin poly

Jude Kingery
02-10-2008, 5:18 PM
Kevin,

I really like the contrast between pith/heartwood, very nice shape as well. Give us perhaps a bit more information as to wood ID? Geographic location, a find in the woods? Common tree there? Bark?

My question would be, what did it smell like? Use any descriptors you might have, smelled like: 'coffee, dry, smelled badly, no smell, bitter, sweet.' Often a smell can give some added assistance on a wood identification. Will be interested on opinions. To me - just on looks only - could be Walnut. Nice bowl! Jude

Dale Gregory
02-10-2008, 8:03 PM
Hard to tell without seeing the tree, bark, or leaves but I would say my guess is Walnut with both sap and heartwood. Nice job on the shape.

Dale

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2008, 8:05 PM
Great job and the LOML says the foot looks good. She likes feet on her vases and bowls. Whatever makes them happy.

Jim Underwood
02-10-2008, 10:07 PM
It would help with the wood id if you had a little more light and clarity in your photo. Try taking the picture with the light on the front of the bowl.

Without seeing a better photo, I'd guess Walnut also.

Reed Gray
02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
I have seen a lot of maple that looks like that. Lots of greenish, greyish, brownish and rust type coloring in them. Amazing what a little deterioration can do. Sap wood doesn't look grainy enough to be walnut.
robo hippy

Jim Becker
02-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Looks like walnut to me. White sap and dark brown heart. (when fresh)