PDA

View Full Version : Curly Cherry Table Top Question

John Stan
02-10-2008, 4:39 PM
Howdy Everyone,

I am making a Curly Cherry Coffee table. The dimensions of the top will be 48x24 (plus or minus). I managed to find some book matched Curly Cherry 15 inches wide. I was considering making the top out of just two peices edge jointed. So the finished boards will be 12 inches wide. Any problems or recommendations with this approach? I know some folks like to use boards 4 inches or less on table tops to prevent cupping. It just kills me to cut these nice boards into strips.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Jim Becker
02-10-2008, 5:23 PM
If you build your piece with wood movement accomodated, you shoud hav no problem with the wide boards. It's an "urban legend" that one must build with narrow boards or even alternate growth rings. For table tops, build for what looks best and build correctly...no problems then.

Glenn Clabo
02-10-2008, 5:35 PM
Some advice from someone who as done it before...many times with varying results.

1. Make sure your wood is equalized to the environment it will live in...as much as possible. Don't know where you live...but change in seasons = change in size.
2. Take small passes on planing/smoothing ON BOTH SIDES EQUALLY. Don't be fooled by the moisture content on the outside.
3. Finish all sides as soon as you get it cut to size...and get it in place.
4. Use sliding support for the width to allow for movement. A batten underneath secured to the center only with slots for the attachment used toward the edges. Let the outside edges float as much as possible.

It can and has been done so if you study the why it will move and let it...you'll have what you want. Please don't cut up a nice piece of wood. That would be a shame.

Lee Hingle
02-10-2008, 11:28 PM
John.
Glen is right (well, so is Jim) - get the top finished on all sides ASAP after milling. If you have to let the top sit for a while (overnight or a few days) then I would recommend getting it up off your bench with some stickers (which will allow air movement all around the piece) and weight it down. Sometimes you can come back after a day or two to find your nice wide panel has cupped because it was laying flat on your bench. Good luck, and to second the previous posters comments - don't rip those nice wide boards!
Lee