PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple turnings and Red Hawthorn plate

Bill Embrey
02-10-2008, 4:03 PM
Bernie beat me to the Ambrosia Maple toothpick holder (I had purchased a piece of Ambrosia Maple the day he posted his! :) )... But I did one anyway. The lidded box is what was left of the Ambrosia Maple. The little plate (6") is Red Hawthorn Burl... really hard to get a big piece of this without cracks... but it sure is nice to turn. Critiques wanted (what do y'all think of the box form... I don't think I like it :confused:... looks like one of those things you mix drinks in)

robert hainstock
02-10-2008, 4:47 PM
Over all fit and finish looks fine. Thet are all seriously nice pieces. For what it is worth, some times ya gatta see past the cracks to what the piece might become without them. :):)
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
02-10-2008, 6:10 PM
I really like the ambrosia maple. The toothpick holder is great, and I think that if the box didn't bulge out in the center, it might be more visually appealing. But they all look like winners.

Bill Bolen
02-10-2008, 6:48 PM
I like all of them especially the Hawthorn. The box looks very good too but might benefit from a smaller knob on top or a finial form..Still, looks mighty good...well done...Bill...

Greg Just
02-10-2008, 7:28 PM
Bill:

Nice job - I like them all, just the way they are. What type of finish did you use?

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2008, 8:01 PM
Bill great job on all. I like the box but if it were me I would have turned it to more of a point like a hersey kiss and smaller. Same basic shape you have on the toothpick holder. That would be the only thing I would change Bill. Well done.

Jon Lanier
02-10-2008, 8:37 PM
Just beautiful!

Mike A. Smith
02-10-2008, 10:37 PM
I like the box. Shaken, not stirred!

Tom Sherman
02-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Nice job on all Bill the box is fine variety is the spice of life you know.

Bill Embrey
02-11-2008, 1:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses... that's what I was looking for.

I think I agree with Ben that the bead on the lid is too big and I had thought about bringing the finial on up with a contrasting piece, but was afraid it would look even more "top heavy".

Mike - Love the James Bond response :).

Greg - Finish is sanded to 800, burnished with shavings and Beall buffed.... that's my finish for everything 'cause I'm lazy and want instant gratification :) don't have the patience for the multiple applicaiton finishes yet

Thanks again... it's nice, and appreciated, to get some good, honest feedback...