PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Carter carves new role in his garage WSJ

Quinn Kleerekoper
02-10-2008, 3:28 PM
Frontpage of Sat WSJ. Here is the link.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120252109283355793.html?mod=hpp_us_pageone
There is a video with Carter talking about his shop.

Paul Kinneberg
02-10-2008, 3:35 PM
thanks for the heads up that was very interesting.

Keith Starosta
02-10-2008, 3:37 PM
Very cool. Thanks for posting the link!!

- Keith

Gary Keedwell
02-10-2008, 3:39 PM
It makes my heart feel good that Mr. Carter has found his niche in life.

Gary

Glenn Clabo
02-10-2008, 3:43 PM
Thanks Quinn...nice article about an interesting man.

Rick Levine
02-10-2008, 3:55 PM
Don't let the LOL know that I spent more on my tools and workshop than a former president.:eek:

Bob Rufener
02-10-2008, 4:26 PM
History should show the human side of him as he is indeed a kind, thoughtful and generous human being.

frank shic
02-10-2008, 4:49 PM

Bruce Page
02-10-2008, 5:12 PM
Very intresting, thanks for the link.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-10-2008, 5:40 PM
Very interesting video. Thanks for posting it.

One time I went to Force Machinery in Union, NJ. There was a picture of folks watching a router demonstration. Upon careful inspection of the photo, I spotted Jimmy Carter sitting on the bleacher watching the instructer.

Some of his work has been previous pointed out on this forum. It is interesting to see how modest his home is and how modest his woodshop is. I could only hope that when I'm his age, I'll be as active as he.

-Jeff :)

John Shuk
02-10-2008, 7:55 PM
It's nice to see that no matter the politics we are all human.

Kevin Groenke
02-10-2008, 10:00 PM
There was a tech tip in a major WW publication (FWW probably) years ago that cracked me up.

This tip involved sharpening jointer knives IN PLACE with an orbital sander.

The contribitutor:
Jimmy Carter - Plains, Georgia (exactly how it read)

Despite questionable equipment maintenance advice, I have considerable respect for Pres. Carter.

Regards
-kg

Rob Will
02-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for posting this. Carter is the only President I have seen in person. I had no idea that he lived in that modest home with such a modest shop.

My planer alone probably weighs more than everything in President Carter's shop put together..... but I think he's got me on neander tools :o;). I wish I had a small precentage of his skill as a woodworker and a human being.

Rob

Greg Peterson
02-10-2008, 11:03 PM
A humble man. Proof that wealth can not be measured in currency.

John Stevens
02-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Deleted, moot.

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 11:14 PM
He drops by Highland WW occasionally to buy sand-paper. I happened to be there once and he dropped by a seminar by Sam Maloof not too loing ago when I was there. The guys at Highland said he always ask if there is a 10% discount going on with a a big grin on his face.

They always tell him no and he just laughs as Miss Rosalyn is heard over his shoulder saying... "Jimmy.. quit asking for a discount". But that doesn't stop him asking next trip. And it doesn't stop Miss Rosalyn from telling him not too ask! :)

I haven't looked at the link yet and many may not know.. he has a PHD in Nuclear Physics I do believe and definitely swings a mean hammer on Habitat for Humanity projects wearing his jeans and sweat-shirt. Pretty good carpenter from what I have heard from Habitat members...

Sarge

Charlie Plesums
02-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I saw some on-line criticism of the strength of the bench, which from the press pictures appeared to be glued miter. The Wall Street Journal article called it Mortise and Tenon, but another article, and the pictures, show that the back is attached with a hand-cut dovetail joint. Sounds like he thought through the woodworking issues!

John Stevens
02-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I haven't looked at the link yet and many may not know.. he has a PHD in Nuclear Physics I do believe

No, although he did some post-grad studies in the field of nuclear power generation. He was selected to participate in the nuclear submarine program but resigned as a Navy Lieutenant before serving on a nuclear sub.

Regards,

John

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 11:49 PM
No, although he did some post-grad studies in the field of nuclear power generation. He was selected to participate in the nuclear submarine program but resigned as a Navy Lieutenant before serving on a nuclear sub.

Regards,

John

Thanks for the correction as I had heard what I stated regarding the PH D, but obviously here-say and not fact...

Regards...

Sarge..

John Stevens
02-10-2008, 11:53 PM
...and neither are mine, my friend.

Regards,

John

Rob Will
02-10-2008, 11:56 PM
This is a positive thread.
There have been no political references and most importantly, no discussion of current politics.
Everything mentioned here is part of President Carter's bio.

If this were any other famous woodworker such as a Sam Maloof or George Nakashima, discussion of that person's life and accomplishments would not be questioned.

Carter's woodworking is helping to raise money for world health and peace efforts. In fact, according to the Wall Street Journal, his woodworking donations have raised over 10 million dollars. Not too shabby.

I think we can set politics aside for a moment to help support this effort.

Rob

Gary Keedwell
02-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Carter's woodworking is helping to raise money for world health and peace efforts. In fact, according to the Wall Street Journal, his woodworking donations have raised over 10 million dollars. Not too shabby.

I think we can set politics aside for a moment to help support this effort.

Rob
[/QUOTE]

In all fairness...when a man gets to a certain age....he worries about his legacy...:o
Gary

George Bregar
02-11-2008, 12:04 AM
I haven't looked at the link yet and many may not know.. he has a PHD in Nuclear Physics Many may not know because he doesn't have a PHD.

John Thompson
02-11-2008, 1:01 AM
Many may not know because he doesn't have a PHD.

The PH D I mentioned was clarified several post ago by John S. and already been corrected, George.

Sarge..

Bob Feeser
02-11-2008, 1:05 AM
I think it would be cool if he would become a member here at SMC. He could compare notes for his projects, and participate in the round table discussions. He could post drawings, and we could get together with him to help him create a work of art. Who knows, maybe he will get a half of a million for it, instead of a 1/4. I understand that people are paying high prices, because he is donating the money to charity? At least I think that is what he is doing.

Randall Davis
02-11-2008, 4:50 AM
It makes my heart feel good that Mr. Carter has found his niche in life.

Gary

Well said, you got the point across without any negitive comments.

John Stevens
02-11-2008, 7:52 AM
There have been no political references and most importantly, no discussion of current politics.

Rob, how do you square that with this quotation from your earlier post in this thread:

Carter is the only President I have seen in person. and...
Regards,

John

Cody Colston
02-11-2008, 9:49 AM
Removed rest of post to avoid giving wrong impression.

Rob Will
02-11-2008, 9:53 AM
I see items on SMC all the time that people build and I do not find attractive - but I don't feel the need to call them on the carpet. I generally just ignore that thread. It just does not bother me that much.

Again, this is a positive thread about a woodworker who was President 30 years ago. I think that I saw Carter in 1976.

Rob

Danny Thompson
02-11-2008, 10:17 AM
I find I can safely and accurately crosscut 8' boards on a TS using a crosscut sled and adequate clamping.

I seriously doubt anyone will be sitting on that bench. It will be a display piece.

Like his politics or not, noone can argue he is a nice guy, and, according to my mother, that's the most important thing, and sort of what this forum is all about.

Thomas Knighton
02-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I've always respected any man who, instead of cashing in on a lecture circuit, decided to build homes for people and cure diseases. The fact that he helps finance this by building interesting pieces of furniture and auctioning them off for charity is just more of a thing to respect.

I'm darn proud to be from Southwest Georgia as well! ;)

Tom

Tim Marks
02-11-2008, 11:46 AM
He was selected to participate in the nuclear submarine program but resigned as a Navy Lieutenant before serving on a nuclear sub.
He did, however, qualify as one of the first Engineering Officers of the Watch (in charge of operating the nuclear power plant), and served as a training instructor at a Nuclear Training Protype Unit.

FWIW, that qualification is almost the equivilent of a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering (but not quite; I have a M.S. in N.E., and have also gone through the Navy Nuclear Training program).

And he did serve as an XO of a conventional diesel sub.

mark page
02-11-2008, 11:57 AM
(pre-edited by Mark Page to remove any political remarks not allowed by TOS) just a joke:D

Hey, the guys working with wood. What happens if he wants to become an SMC member. Are we going to treat him different just because who he was, or, are we going to humbly try to answer his questions or humbly respond to maybe his ideas?????

Just a different perspective, and things that make you go HMMMMMM?

Mike Cutler
02-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Interesting individual. Nice shop too, no pretension. The bench has a sort of Nakashima look to it.

His voice is still amazingly clear, and he looks good.

As far as the submarine thing. Jimmy Carter does in fact have his own set of "Dolphins". They are awarded based on the distinction of qualfying on board a submarine.
The submarine community is divided into three groups.
"Fast boats", or Fast Attack Submarines.
"Boomers" or Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarines.
"Diesel boats". Non nuclear propelled submarines. Primarily fast attacks,and special op's types boats. I'm not sure that there are any left in active commision.

Once your Dolphins are "earned", you are a "submariner" . Within the community it doesn't really matter which type of sub you earned them on. They are equally respected, and equally difficult to obtain. The letter designation "SS" follows your rate/rank, and you wear a "Dolphin Pin", designating you as submarine qualified on your chest as part of your uniform. The deisel boat sailors had a slightly different pin.

Mike.
Former "Bubblehead" ( Submariner) ,9 Patrols, and qualified on a Boomer

Lee Koepke
02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I wonder if he would consider mentoring a young woodworker (like me) and teach me what he knows, and if I am ever good enough, I can build stuff for his cause as well....

Glenn Clabo
02-11-2008, 12:54 PM
My favorite...

Thomas Knighton
02-11-2008, 1:09 PM
Mike,

I think the diesels are long gone. Everything I ran across while I was in was nuke. So, not only were submariners "bubbleheads", they also glowed in the dark :D

Tom
Former HM3

Greg Peterson
02-11-2008, 1:15 PM
I've read some fascinating books on diesel submarines. My hat's off to all you submariners. That has to be some tough, but interesting duty.

Rob Will
02-11-2008, 2:38 PM
My neighbor who has a woodmizer :D was in the silent service (diesel boat ) during the cold war. I don't know the exact terminology but he worked in communications. I think he was on duty and decoded the message when Washington sent out word that Francis Gary Powers' U2 had been shot down over Russia. For a while, they thought we were going to war.

A very interesting person to be around. My hat is off to those who served in the Silent Service. Past, present and future.

Rob

Kewan Floyd
02-11-2008, 3:27 PM
Thanks for posting this. As a woodworking hobbyist I feel the same way regarding his comments about walking into the wood shop is like going on vacation (where you can get away from thoughts about work, etc).

By the way, according to the Carter Center website the winning bid for the bench was $300,000.

Tim Marks
02-11-2008, 7:37 PM
I think the diesels are long gone.
The Navy did keep the USS Dolphin active in San Diego until 20 September 2006. This boat was a deep diving diesel boat for research and also to act as OPFOR (opposing force) for exercises. Following a fire and near sinking in rough seas in 2002, they spent alot of money to overhaul her. I guess they finally decided not to throw good money after bad, since no matter how much money you spend, a 28 year old submarine is fairly long in the tooth.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/agss-555.htm

Thomas Knighton
02-11-2008, 8:15 PM
Ah. I was in Norfolk, so I don't think I ever saw the U.S.S. Dolphin. I stand corrected.

As for Jimmy Carter's workshop tour, I wasn't able to get the video to play at work, but I checked it out a few moments ago. I'm not sure how I feel about having some of the same tools as a former President :D

Tom

Bob Feeser
02-12-2008, 2:37 PM
Mark,
You bring up an interesting point. I used to work in a skating rink when I was in high school. There were 2 partners. One was the day to day guy who ran the place, and wore flannel shirts, and the other was a real estate broker, who put up the money, and would work Monday nights, to give the working partner a rest. Most people were afraid of him. He was a commissioner in the township, and had a stern look about him. That didn't matter to me, I was just as glad to see him. He often broke out in a laugh at my antics. I treated him like one of the guys. I did not dis-respect him though. Later on in life he really helped me. The thing I wanted to mention is that he always would ask to have me on the Monday night schedule.
My approach to Jimmy Carter would be to treat him, pretty much the same way you treat eveyone else. Well maybe not that bad. Just kidding. :eek:
I think he would feel very uncomfortable with everyone calling him President in one moment, and then the next saying, "No you idiot, do it this way" :D There I go again. I am telling you, the guy who you are willing to kid around with is the one that trusts you. To me the opposite of love is fear. Oh I think President Carter would be well versed in the fine art of dealing with adversity. Then we could get on with the fun.

(pre-edited by Mark Page to remove any political remarks not allowed by TOS) just a joke:D

Hey, the guys working with wood. What happens if he wants to become an SMC member. Are we going to treat him different just because who he was, or, are we going to humbly try to answer his questions or humbly respond to maybe his ideas?????

Just a different perspective, and things that make you go HMMMMMM?