PDA

View Full Version : My Humble Shop(W/Pics)

Lance Norris
02-10-2008, 1:54 PM
I really enjoy looking at pictures of other Creekers shops, and wondered why I havent shown my shop. Its in the basement of my 130 year old house, and very small, but I have everything I need. I mostly make boxes, but also make some furniture and cabinetry. I have a walkout with stone steps, so getting machines and large projects in and out isnt a problem. My favorite tool is my bandsaw. Im always jealous when I see nice large shops, but am happy when Im in mine.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-10-2008, 1:58 PM
Lance, Great shop. It looks like you have all the tools to make anything you want. Thanks for sharing.

Jay Brewer
02-10-2008, 2:01 PM
Nice, well equiped shop Lance.

Paul Girouard
02-10-2008, 2:05 PM
Nice shop:cool: Small :eek: but nice. I like the stone foundation and brick floor against the modern tooling, a nice mix of old industrial and new chiwanizes look :D

Makes me appreciate mine "that much more" , good on ya for working in your shop and posting those photos , really!

Robert foster
02-10-2008, 2:09 PM
Lance; Looks like you have all you need. Well we all "need" a little more but I guess we should be thankful for what we have.
What part of Ohio do you live? We used to live in Mt Vernon.

Bob

Bruce Page
02-10-2008, 2:09 PM
Very nice shop Lance. I'd be happy in there too!

Peter Quinn
02-10-2008, 2:11 PM
Nice Shop Lance. Fellow cave dweller here (basement shop here too). I love seeing the spaces people carve out for themselves to pursue their work. Looks like a good setup. Has a gothic feel with the stone foundation. I would love to have a walk out basement (easy to get machines into my basement...coming out is a bit harder).

I spent 2 months parging my shop walls with a pool type coating, brightens it up a bit. Mine was very ugly old concrete, if I had nice stones like yours I would have left it alone.

Robert E Johnson III
02-10-2008, 2:29 PM
You have a nice collection of tools there, and a good shop also.

Ray Scheller
02-10-2008, 2:35 PM
Very nice shop. Looks like you have all the essentials and on wheels too!!!

Bob Feeser
02-10-2008, 2:42 PM
I knew this post had to be a good one. Geez, 8 views and already 7 replies.
Your shop looks great. Cozy. Nice Tools. Looks like a shop of someone you would like to get to know. I have a basement shop. The cinderblock (circa 1955 home) has been getting power washed, clean up, acid wash, then Drylok white. Really brightens it up in the areas that I have already done. Others are on the to do list. The jointer surface is an easy fix, even if you start out with 80 grit, or 120, on a ROS, and then follow up with finer grits, or just use Naval Jelly, and fine or medium steel wool, then wax, or WD40. It looks like an older cast iron good one, and they tend to have the nicest look with a little rubbing. There is nothing nicer than old world heft, with a well rubbed in look. It has character. Of course living in a home of your vintage age, you already know that, "Things of quality get better with age". The brick floor is incredible.

gary Zimmel
02-10-2008, 3:14 PM
Lance

Nice looking shop. It looks like you have all the tools to do any project you want.

Sean Troy
02-10-2008, 3:17 PM
Looks like your good to go on any kind of project.

Rick Moyer
02-10-2008, 3:22 PM
Lance, how do you like that Grizzly DC? I've thought that may be the one I should look at. Any input or advice?

Lance Norris
02-10-2008, 4:00 PM
Lance, how do you like that Grizzly DC? I've thought that may be the one I should look at. Any input or advice?

Rick...I just got it up and running last week. So far, its been great. I only have 4" spiral hooked up, so I know that limits it, but the first time I turned it on, it sucked out all the dust in the 4" hoses that my little Delta DC(AP400) had left behind. And that was quite a bit of dust. It covered the bottom of the bag. As with all of the more expensive Grizzly machines, its a quality tool. Fit and finish is very nice, nothing cheap.

Charles Wilson
02-10-2008, 4:11 PM
Looks pretty good to me.

As for the 3 or 4th picture with the duct work, is that asbestos wrap on the duct. If so, make sure you just leave it alone.

Chuck

PS - How do you like your Grizzly stuff?

Chuck

Lance Norris
02-10-2008, 4:23 PM
Looks pretty good to me.

As for the 3 or 4th picture with the duct work, is that asbestos wrap on the duct. If so, make sure you just leave it alone.

Chuck

PS - How do you like your Grizzly stuff?

Chuck
I had to go look. Its a cold air return. The pipe is painted, but the "tape" on the pipe is some sort of woven fiber, I wont disturb it.
As far as my Gizzly tools... Love them. I have never had any problems with shipping, or the tools. I thing most Grizzly owners would comment the same. Maybe not the shipping though, I've read here about shipping problems, but not too many operational problems.

Barry Lloyd
02-10-2008, 4:52 PM
Very nice shop. Looks well organized with a place for everything. I especially like the Uni outfeed, work bench combo.

Those pictures remind me of a house that belonged to a great uncle of mine. He had a small shop in a space that looked a lot like that with the stone walls. After he passed I was looking for a place to live and ended up renting it for several years from his daughter. I always liked working down there. It was a little like stepping back in time to an age when people did build things to last generations. We've certainly lost that concept in our Walmart, pressboard, disposable furniture society...

Barry

Adam Slutsky
02-10-2008, 6:50 PM
Very nice shop! I'm wondering how large a space you have - seeing that you fit a lot of machines down there and seem to have it all well organized. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Dave Verstraete
02-10-2008, 6:58 PM
From a fellow basement dweller, Great looking shop.

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 7:08 PM
Extremely nice job of organizing your space Lance. Looks comfy to me and you set up an excellent traffic pattern to utilize the space you have. Regardless of how much space you have or don't have... that is the key to succeeding with whatever size.

Regards...

Sarge..

Jason Scott
02-10-2008, 7:23 PM
I've got a basement shop too, was wondering how your cast iron holds up to rust, how often do you have to use sandpaper and wd40? The jointer looks like it has some rust on it, that is why I ask, unless it is just the way the photo looks, I'm about sick of trying to keep rust off my jointer and ts.

Lance Norris
02-10-2008, 7:30 PM
I've got a basement shop too, was wondering how your cast iron holds up to rust, how often do you have to use sandpaper and wd40? The jointer looks like it has some rust on it, that is why I ask, unless it is just the way the photo looks, I'm about sick of trying to keep rust off my jointer and ts.

Jason... I use Johnsons Paste Wax about once a month and have never had a problem. I run a dehumidifyer in the summer. I bought the jointer used. Its not rusty, just dark, kinda the way cast iron gets after a while.

Mike Cutler
02-10-2008, 7:36 PM
A very nice shop Lance. Well put together and homey. It's looks like a nice place to hang out.

Don't worry about the size. Remember, dynamite comes in small packages too.;)
The size of the shop doesn't limit the imagination of the woodworker.

Lance Norris
02-10-2008, 7:58 PM
Very nice shop! I'm wondering how large a space you have - seeing that you fit a lot of machines down there and seem to have it all well organized. Thanks for posting the pictures.

My shop is 15'x16' with a 5'x11' corner that I cant use because my furnace and water heater are there. I have 80" in front of my table saw blade, and 6' from my bandsaw blade to the wall. I once had to resaw an 8' piece of walnut on the bandsaw, for my father, I just sawed to the wall, stopped the saw, flipped the board and finished the cut. I wish I had more room, but have been able to do some nice things in the space I have.

John Maus
02-10-2008, 8:54 PM
Thanks for rthe pics Lance. I'm a one-garage-bay shop guy and I sure like to see others that have had success regardless of shop size. You can't have too much shop space but you can still do great work in less.

John

Bob Feeser
02-10-2008, 8:56 PM
Lance,
I know what you mean about the cast iron getting dark, but that is only a superficial layer on the top. I am including 2 pictures of a 1948 Walker Turner bandsaw, a before and after shot. I used a Random Orbit Sander with 80 grit, kept it at a slow setting, and flat on the table; I didn't want to dig any holes. 80 grit on metal is very kind. The metal will not let it pentrate, so it scours the surface very well. Then follow up with lighter grades like a 120, then 150, and even 220 for a final polish. I would use a little Naval Jelly around the edges, that stuff is miraculous for taking rust off of equipment. Apply as directed on containter, and finish with a little steel wool. Then neutralize if that is what it says. I have only used it twice, so I forget the final stage if neutralization is necessary, but I am watching the Grammy's and don't want to venture down into the shop.
I'm a proponent of using WD40 to seal the cast iron after sanding. One coat is all it needs, and wipe it off with paper towels, leaving just whatever residue is left. I see that you use paste wax and you are more than not alone on that. I think 99 percent of people use it also. 3 coats required, because I put on a single coat, and got a rust impression where my hand rested on the table saw. I also like the way WD40 makes the cast iron shine.
Also I find that a fan in a window, if possible is great for reducing humidity levels in the summer, and way cheaper on the electricity. Without windows, in an air environment that doesn't leak like mine, a dehumidifier of course works great. My problem is that my basement breathes, with 3/4" ferring strips on all outside walls on the floors above the basement, supporting the plaster board, and requires that the walls breathe, so cool air in well ventilated attic, breathes into the basement constantly. A dehumidifier in my situation is like drying the great outdoors. In your shop a dehumidifier seems a lot more desirable. Here are those before and after shots.

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/30466/2640645780100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/5382/2959895410100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

Jason... I use Johnsons Paste Wax about once a month and have never had a problem. I run a dehumidifyer in the summer. I bought the jointer used. Its not rusty, just dark, kinda the way cast iron gets after a while.

Michael Lutz
02-10-2008, 9:32 PM
Lance,

I like your shop. It is well laid out and appears functional. Mine appears a little more cluttered.

Mike

Lance Norris
02-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Bob... thats a great looking saw, especially after your resto.

Peter Stahl
02-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Lance, really nice shop there. How do you like your Grizzly bandsaw?

Rob Will
02-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Nice shop Lance. Looks like a good place to be.
What does that sticker on your electric panel say?

Rob

Lance Norris
02-11-2008, 1:21 AM
Lance, really nice shop there. How do you like your Grizzly bandsaw?

I really like it. Its my favorite tool. Its very predictable, cuts straight when I want it to. Plenty of power. Great resaw.

Lance Norris
02-11-2008, 1:23 AM
Nice shop Lance. Looks like a good place to be.
What does that sticker on your electric panel say?

Rob

It says "This room to be locked at all times"
Its just one of those things that finds its way onto a wall.:)

Peter M. Spirito
02-11-2008, 8:05 PM
A clean shop ;) :) my kinda guy. I also spotted that long row of Bessey clamps in the background. :cool:

Lance Norris
02-11-2008, 8:10 PM
A clean shop ;) :) my kinda guy. I also spotted that long row of Bessey clamps in the background. :cool:

Sorry... they are all Jets.

Peter M. Spirito
02-11-2008, 8:25 PM
A clean shop ;) :) my kinda guy