PDA

View Full Version : Glue setting time

Amy Leigh Baker
02-10-2008, 1:27 PM
How long should I let glue set before removing clamps? I don't have that many clamps and would like to glue up multiple parts in one day.

Thanks,

Amy

Art Mann
02-10-2008, 2:17 PM
Glue curing time is a function of temperature. I like to let TB III cure for 2 hours or so before removing the clamps when the temperature is around 55. It may not be necessary, but I just want to be safe. At that time, further clamping may not be necessary, but the bond has not yet reached maximum strength. I allow 24 hours of cure time before stressing the joint. I think this is about what the instructions on the bottle say.

Peter Quinn
02-10-2008, 2:26 PM
Depends on the situation and the glue, somewhat on environmental factors (temp of the wood, glue and room). In 70 degree weather 50% humidity, PVA glue (ex titebond) for edge gluing panels and tops, maybe 1 hour, most face laminations 6 hours (to let the glue cure equally in the center of the lamination), bent laminations 2.5-4 hours. Most jointery (M/T, dowel. cope and schtick) I veer towards conservative, 3 hours. Problem is most glues don't reach full strength for 12-24 hours, so if you unclamp a large complex glue up in 30 min, when can you safely move it anyway?

Lots of other glues have different open times specific to their formulation (ex: epoxy, A B polyurathene, plastic resin glue, hide glue, etc) some glues wildly affected by environmental factors (ex 5 minute epoxy at 85 degrees becomes about 45 second epoxy) Takes trial and error based on manufactures reccommendations is often required.

Joe Chritz
02-10-2008, 2:45 PM
20 minutes minimum.

Somewhere I had a wood rag that did a test on different glues and one of the tests was time clamped. They would glue, clamp and remove after 5,10,15, etc minutes and use a press with a gauge to break it apart. Nearly all the strength had developed in the basic yellow glues in about 15 minutes.

I use 20 as a minimum with most often pulling at 30 minutes unless I am doing a lot of panels and need to rotate clamps faster. Still no machining for several hours.

Titebond III and poly glues take a bit longer but I don't remember what they were.

Joe

Richard M. Wolfe
02-10-2008, 3:15 PM
It depends on the piece, the glue and the conditions. I try to let clamps stay on a couple hours. Probably not necessary in most cases. Try to plan ahead and make glue-ups be one of the last things you do in the day so you can leave your clamps on overnight.

Steve Clardy
02-10-2008, 4:15 PM
I use titebond original.

Depending on room temperature, I usually pull clamps within 30 minutes.

Frank Orzehoski
02-10-2008, 6:51 PM
How long should I let glue set before removing clamps? I don't have that many clamps and would like to glue up multiple parts in one day.

Thanks,

Amy

Hi Amy,

The clamp time will depend on what brand and type of glue you use. Read the back of the bottle for the manufactureres suggestions. I use Titebond 3 and if the joint is unstressed 30 minutes to an hour, 24 hours if the joint is stressed. I have used Elmers stainable glue and that takes at least 40 minutes. Gorilla Glue and Rhino glue take 20 or 40 minutes depending on whether you wet the surfaces to be glued. For Titebond 3 it says the temperature should be at above 47 degrees so keep that in mind if your shop is subject to cold weather. Joes post is accurate if you are using Titebond 2 or original Titebond. I took a woodworking class and we used those 2 glues and the times Joe mentioned were what the instructor went by.