PDA

View Full Version : Thanks elm crotch bowl help

Bill Bolen
02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
About 18 months ago I posted a question asking for help with an Elm crotch piece that I was going to turn into a bowl. My concern was the huge crack in the blank where the bark inclusion was. Following you advice I didn’t throw it away but rough turned and bagged it.
About 2 months ago I again asked for advice as the split at the crotch had grown during the drying process. I was going to pitch it in the burn barrel but accepting your kind advice I kept it. I dug out all the loose bark and filled it with a mix of epoxy and coffee. After drying I finished the rough turn.
Still being a bit nervous about this thing I humbly asked for advice again! I NEEDED to throw this out, but you folks would have none of that!
To make a long story a little shorter I follow your advice and took a deep breath and finished turning the bowl yesterday. It came out just great. The epoxy patch turned just as you folks said it would and adds a lot to the bowl.
Thanks again for ALL the repeated help! Enjoy the pics as I enjoy the bowl!
Finished with mineral oil waiting to be buffed. 6 ¾” X 4”. I turned the bottom using my newly made Longworth chuck. I liked it better than the cole jaws too.
Bill

Glenn Hodges
02-10-2008, 1:00 PM
I am sure glad all that worked out for you because you now have a beaut.

Skip Spaulding
02-10-2008, 1:01 PM
Great save! I love the color and changing grain.

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2008, 1:50 PM
Beautiful piece - well worth the effort!

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2008, 1:55 PM
Beautiful bowl Bill. Well worth the effort in my books. Great looking wood and finish.

robert hainstock
02-10-2008, 4:59 PM
I just told someone else that sometimes you have to look past the bad parts toward the good that it can become. Thats the first time I can remember seeing something made out of E.lm with any character. Your waiting and repair erealy paid off, very nice!:):):)
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
02-10-2008, 6:14 PM
Good job, nice save. It's amazing what some people here can come up with: epoxy and coffee grounds! But it works. Might have to use that idea for a weedpot I'm working on.

William Bachtel
02-10-2008, 6:42 PM
Red Elm is a great wood, I am turning some of it this week. Your bowl looks great, and now you will push on when you have little problems. My motto is Keep going until the project is a finished turning. I try to work thru the cracks, catches, bark, changing sizes and shapes, knots etc. It usually turns out well in the end.

Bill Bolen
02-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks all for the kind comments! This bowl would be fireplace ashes without the great help given here!...Bill...