PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Reading?

Jack Harper
02-10-2008, 12:39 PM
What recommended reading would you all suggest for the laser engraving enthusiast? Magazines to subscribe to or books that cover history or techniques and so on. Thanks in advance for you input.

Luke Phillips
02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Jack - The Engravers Journal (www.engraversjournal.com (http://www.engraversjournal.com)) is good, LaserU from Laser Bits (www.laserbits.com (http://www.laserbits.com)) may also be of interest to you.

Jack Harper
02-10-2008, 7:05 PM
Thanks Luke.

Mike Null
02-11-2008, 6:49 AM
In my view you will not find better reading than SMC. There are occasional magazine articles which are informative but right here you can find hour upon hour of pretty good reading.

As important as the "how to" is the "how not to", and that you'll find here in abundance.

Jack Harper
02-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I couldn't agree more Mike! I have found SMC to be invaluable and equally enjoyable. My interests though were more advertising based. In other words, I was looking for that key laser industry trade rag that featured ads for new products/materials for lazing. I am hopeful that the new Google advertising model on SMC will provide some of this subject specific advertising. I have found their models to work well deciphering my gmail subjects and showing key/relative advertising. Mind you, I say this being a proud Tivo owner eager to omit advertising from my life.

Sandra Force
02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Jack, I have to agree with Mike on SMC but also check into some of the other engraver forums. I would not discount joining paid forums out of hand. You are going to spend about the same money as a magazine and can get live help. The forums are not cheap to operate and we need to take responiblility to keep them going. Check out the different forums as a guest and see which ones you are most comfortable with.;)

Robert Ray
02-11-2008, 1:48 PM
I'm new here too, and although I have had my laser 5 years, I have never found anywhere to get questions answered before finding this place. Mostly I learned what I now know through hard knocks, but now that I am here, I can get questions answered. I found the searches here very helpful, and what I do not find there, people seem happy to answer here.

-Robert