PDA

View Full Version : Hall Table

James Sweeney
02-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey all, thought I would post some of my hall table. I am all ears for thoughts on improvements, ect. I value opinions on this forum greatly.

James Sweeney
02-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Sorry, forgot to add the photo's.

Paul Girouard
02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Comments:

Cut the grass and put that screen back in the window! :D

Other than that the table looks great.

Quilted / spald Maple and Cherry?

Chris Rosenberger
02-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Very nice job James. It looks great.

Where do you live? If your grass is that green today, I want to move there. It is 12 degrees here today.

Ralph Barhorst
02-10-2008, 12:25 PM
James,

You can't just plunk down 5 pictures and ask for comments.:p

Is that veneered or solid?

What type of wood is it?

What about the finish?

What are the dimensions?

Really, I like it a lot. Nice design and workmanship.

gary Zimmel
02-10-2008, 12:30 PM
James

Nice looking table!

If it was me I may of added drawers but thats just me.

Like I said nice looking table. tell us a little more about it.

Richard M. Wolfe
02-10-2008, 12:36 PM
James, nice execution and wood choice for contrast in the table. I have a couple things for personal preference. First, I like a completely flat top. Makes it much easier to clean and dust and you don't have to worry about something tipping over if it's set down at the wrong spot. Secondly I think I would have put a bit of taper to the legs....they look a bit blocky to me as is. That's what I can tell from looking at the pics - in person I might like it as is.

James Sweeney
02-10-2008, 2:58 PM
Thanks you all for the comments. First off, this was made last summer, I live about an hour west of Chicago and it's -1 today. The design is from a Woodsmith magazine, the plans called for tapered legs and I was a bit scared to make tapered legs since I was already doing a lot of firsts in this project, first time making mortise and tenon joinery, first time cutting coves on the table saw, first time using figured wood, first table. I definitely do think it would look nicer with some taper to the legs, they are a bit boring. The wood is all hard wood from Kirkland Saw Mill. Cherry for the frame and legs, and curly maple for the top panel and side panels. I left room in the frame for expansion and had to apply finish to the top panel before framing it in case there is shrinking so that there are no lines showing. So far, so good on that front. The finish I used is General Finishes Arm r Seal glossy. The finish was real easy to apply, wiped on with an old Tshirt. It came out really good, with no runs. I like that stuff. My only regret with the finish is the yellowing of the maple. Since then I have used other products for maple when I have a chance, like shellac, and lacquer. Mostly because of advice I have read from this forum. My other main regret is with the top, I should have found a solid piece for the top instead of glueing two together. I like the look of one solid piece better, especially with curly maple. The line is too obvious, to me. also, I did not have my jointer then so the glue lines are even worse. But, live and learn. As for drawers, I would have liked them, but didn't want to try that yet. Richard, I also like the look of the flat tops, and I think the next table I build will have a flat top, but for this one I don't mind since it really only holds picture frames and isn't meant to have drinks and such sit on it. I hope this is enough info ;)

Ben Rafael
02-10-2008, 3:03 PM
Looks good.
I wouldn't do it any differently.
Tapered legs would make it look much different, not necessarily better, would just give it a different look.

Martin Shupe
02-10-2008, 4:18 PM
1. Taper the legs.
2. Bookmatch the top.
3. Make the stretcher grain wrap around at least 3 sides, four preferably.

Nice wood, nice table.

Jim Becker
02-10-2008, 5:27 PM
Very nice looking table!

Ken Shoemaker
02-10-2008, 5:58 PM
Well Done!! One day, when I grow up, I'll work with wood like that and not screw it up... Nice work!