PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the ultimate in toilet

Dennis Peacock
03-08-2004, 12:40 PM
flush valves.....Ya know those gray and black plastic ones you get a the local BB stores to replace the OTHER gray and black plastic one you replaced before with the OTHER gray and black plastic flush valve that you replaced the original brass flush valve assembly with? :) WHEW!!!! Now THAT was a mouth-full.!!!!

The Master Bath is on the end of the house opposite where the main water line comes in. About every 6 months or so, I have to replace the flush valve in the toilet as the other ones either stop filling the tank, they won't STOP filling the tank or they just don't do anything any longer. I am VERY TIRED of replacing these things about every 6 months. Is there something out there that has GOT to be better than the $6 plastic flush valves for a standard toilet? If I remember correctly, the toilets in my house are Swan or Crane or whatever it is. I have always used American Standard toilets in the houses I built. What gives on blowing out these flush valves so often? Advice? Pointers?

And NO.....an Outhouse is NOT and acceptable answer.!! ;)

Lee Schierer
03-08-2004, 12:59 PM
If you are using the palstic valves with the long arm and float design, then try one of the palstic ones with the small float wrapped around the Fill tube. My experience is that these type valves are much more reliable. Here is one that comes with a five year warranty. Fill Valve (http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a244712.html) So if it failed at least the new one wouldn't cost you anything.

Glenn Clabo
03-08-2004, 1:29 PM
Dennis,
Is it possible you have too much water pressure? New homes are required to have regulators in many parts of the country. Hoses blowing out, pipe/faucets leaking or not being able to close faucets are a few other things that happen. The increased (40-50 psi max) water pressure wears things out faster. The toilet fill valve is the most used and the pressure tears them up fast.

Dennis Peacock
03-08-2004, 2:46 PM
If you are using the palstic valves with the long arm and float design, then try one of the palstic ones with the small float wrapped around the Fill tube. My experience is that these type valves are much more reliable. Here is one that comes with a five year warranty. Fill Valve (http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a244712.html) So if it failed at least the new one wouldn't cost you anything.

Lee,

I have been using the plastics cones with the small float wrapped around the fill tube....put out by FluidMaster. I have never seen the one you posted here.

Dennis Peacock
03-08-2004, 2:48 PM
Dennis,
Is it possible you have too much water pressure? New homes are required to have regulators in many parts of the country. Hoses blowing out, pipe/faucets leaking or not being able to close faucets are a few other things that happen. The increased (40-50 psi max) water pressure wears things out faster. The toilet fill valve is the most used and the pressure tears them up fast.

Glenn,

Glad you mentioned that.....I do have a pressure regulator on my side of the water meter.....HOWEVER......I have noticed recently that when I turn the water on at one of the two sinks in the master bath, that the water pressure starts out rather forcefull and then settles down. Does this mean that I need to replace the pressure regulator?

Michael Perata
03-08-2004, 3:04 PM
Glenn,

Glad you mentioned that.....I do have a pressure regulator on my side of the water meter.....HOWEVER......I have noticed recently that when I turn the water on at one of the two sinks in the master bath, that the water pressure starts out rather forcefull and then settles down. Does this mean that I need to replace the pressure regulator?
Dennis

While pressure regulators do wear out, the probable cause of the high pressure release is likely an air bubble in your system. Try releasing the bubble by turning on your valves for a couple of seconds (faucets, toilets dishwasher, washing machine) and then see if you still have the problem in your master bath.

Joe Tonich
03-08-2004, 9:06 PM
Glenn,

Hi Dennis,

A few years after I bought my house things that were water related started blowing up. :( Outside hoses, shower massage hose, kitchen faucet (THAT was a fun one!! :eek: ), etc... all exploded on me. I had to replace the regulator as it could not be adjusted anymore (was broken). It's supposed to regulate the force of the water at initial startup and then go to the regulated pressure that you set (as it was explained to me ). You might want to try turning the adjusting screw ( at the bottom of the "bell" ) before you replace yours. They're pretty expensive.

Good luck,

Joe

harry strasil
03-08-2004, 9:23 PM
If you use one of those things you hang in the tank to treat the water, they will eat everything in the system up, the manager of the hardware across the alley sells them like they are going out of style till the people finally quite putting those things in the tank, some of them turn the water blue or some other color.

my .02 worth

Jim DeLaney
03-08-2004, 9:39 PM
I have FluidMaster valves in both the toilets here, and both valves are probably close to ten years old, with no problems (yet). My water pressure is somewhere around 100 psi - pretty high by most municipal standards.

The only problems I've experienced have been with the flapper valves, and we pretty much narrowed those down to being caused by the 'drop-in' chlorine cleaner tablets causing them to deteriorate. Got rid of the chlorine tabs, and the flappers now last a long time, too.

YMMV...

Steve Clardy
03-14-2004, 9:10 PM
So Dennis----- By this thread, you're telling us that you already have upgraded from an outhouse? Ha.
I use the ol cheap fliudmasters also. Usually last 4-5 years. Have one now that is sticking shut. We have our own well, and it runs 50# high end on the pressure. I am sure there are other higher priced ones out there, but are they any better I wonder. Steve