PDA

View Full Version : My Creeker Vist...

Lee Koepke
02-10-2008, 8:46 AM
To Mr John Thompson's shop.

Thanks for the visit, we enjoyed meeting with you on a fine Saturday afternoon!

If you ever get tired of that mortiser ..... let me know ... :D

:cool:

Michael Gibbons
02-10-2008, 10:08 AM
No Pics- Didn't happen!!!

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 11:14 AM
To Mr John Thompson's shop.

Thanks for the visit, we enjoyed meeting with you on a fine Saturday afternoon!

If you ever get tired of that mortiser ..... let me know ... :D

:cool:

I give you $150 in King water stones for $1.. a free burnisher.. and now you have your eyes set on my industrial floor mortiser after sensing my low pulse rate and factoring my age. You can't have it as I have entered it in the Daytona 500 this coming week-end. Look for the big green thingy going around the track in the draft with the large chrome steering wheels and the old man behind then. :cool:

On a serious note.. enjoyed your and the lovely Miss Tammie's visit. Feel free to call or drop by any time your up my way. I have about 200 + dove-tails to cut for a chest of drawer in the next few weeks.. so don't hesitate to drop by during that period and I'll put ya'll to work learning to do them. I'll just sit back.. watch.. drink coffee and tell a few tall tales about the past 36 year. ha.. ha...

Highest regards to the saw-dust filled future of the young couple from just down the road...

Sarge.. john thompson

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 11:23 AM
No Pics- Didn't happen!!!

Here ya go, MIke....

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Here ya go, MIke....

Opps.. forgot the pictures and then had to down-size to under 107.5..

Lee Koepke
02-10-2008, 6:08 PM
Feel free to call or drop by any time your up my way. I have about 200 + dove-tails to cut for a chest of drawer in the next few weeks.. so don't hesitate to drop by during that period and I'll put ya'll to work learning to do them. I'll just sit back.. watch.. drink coffee and tell a few tall tales about the past 36 year. ha.. ha...

Highest regards to the saw-dust filled future of the young couple from just down the road...

Sarge.. john thompson
I may just take you up on that offer. I have another project next weekend that I am committed to, but I would relish the opportunity to learn the art of cutting dovetails.

Robert E Johnson III
02-10-2008, 6:25 PM
Great looking equipment and shop. Did you make the benches your self and what size is your shop?

Dave Ray
02-10-2008, 6:32 PM
John, that shop of yours looks great.... but so clean.... WOW:eek::eek:

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 6:45 PM
Cutting em is kind of the fun part, Leo. Laying them out by hand is the tedious part similar to ughhhhh... sanding. Come to think if it, I'd rather lay DT's out than sand. I'd rather do about anything than sand for that matter. :)

I'm about 3 weeks behind on the chest of drawers due to Xmas.. things that popped up and a medical emergency with my MIL. Hitting it heavy again tomorrow.. so when the DT's are ready to do.. they're getting done. Time approximate is about two weeks, but if I can get to them sooner I will. I have another tall chest of drawers waiting for this one to be finished. Time doesn't wait on an old man. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Call.. just to be sure that week-end is when it goes down.

Regards...

Sarge..

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 6:51 PM
Thanks Robert.. the front and main shop (two car drive-under garage) is about 26' x 32' or so.. The rear shop (1/2 basement) is the same with me getting about 2/3 of that for big tools on bases to roll up to the cut arear with the DC.. sharpening station and wood racks.

All the benches.. cabinets.. base cabinets for tools (as all are mobile).. assembly table is home-made. About everything I have is home-made as I prefer to do it my way and customize to me (table heights, etc.). Can't afford the store bought anyway.

Again thanks...

Sarge..

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 6:59 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Ray. Fortunately camera's don't pick up fine dust and cobb webs. ;) But.. I do kind of keep it clean as I go. I am in there about 5-10 hours a day, so I just prefer it that way.

I have pretty good dust control and even then, about every 3-4 hours I will stop... put on a dust mask.. open the two large outer doors and start in the back with a 140 mph leaf blower. Turn on the over-head filtration and go up for a 30 minute coffee break. Most of my post are done on those breaks or late at night.

That's the secret... similar to keeping the grass trimmed. Let it go for awhile and it gets out of hand to the point you have to pull out the "bush-hog". Just my method of attack as I hate dust..

Again.. thank you sir...

Sarge..

Joe Petersen
02-10-2008, 9:24 PM
I've seen this shop. It looks like the inside of Redmond Machinery with all that equipment. Whats the V-notched do-hickey on the tablesaw?

Lee Koepke
02-10-2008, 9:29 PM
I've seen this shop. It looks like the inside of Redmond Machinery with all that equipment. Whats the V-notched do-hickey on the tablesaw?
where west o atl are you, neighbor???

Mike Cutler
02-10-2008, 9:40 PM
Lee
"Creeker visits are cool aren't they. Glad to hear you guys had a good time.

Sarge.
Are you sure you ain't got some "boots" about, keeping that shop 4-0?;),:D

Nice shop.

Joe Petersen
02-10-2008, 9:59 PM
Douglasville. Just a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Lee Koepke
02-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Douglasville. Just a hop, skip, and a jump away.
:D

closer than ya think .. i am on that side of carrollton ... i could throw a rock to the county line.

we wil have to meet up one of these days. I am just a rookie wood butcher, but enjoy it.

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
The V shaped "hickey" is a "spring-board", Joe. Serves the same purpose as a feather-board basically, but distributes the pressure evenly.. cheap to build and you can make one about any size you have scrap. I use one on my router table also as I just prefer them over a feather-board.

Here's a picture closer so you can see the simplicity. Nothing more than a scrap piece of ply on the main body. Two little poplar strips glued to the front of it at the ends.. a poplar strip about 7/8" wide glued to it.. another single poplar strip or shim glued center and the outer poplar strip 7/8" glue to that strip or shim. Round the ends of the front strip to aid entry and exit.

Regards to all down in Douglasville.. my BIL is a shop foreman at Delta and lives on 6 acres in Temple. And BTW.. a good portion of that machinery came from Redmond & Son Machinery down the street from ya...

Sarge..

John Thompson
02-10-2008, 10:47 PM
No boots to herd over, Mike. Just a one-man-show for the last 36 years. All my "Sarge-ing" got done with "P" Co.. 75th Ranger Regiment in VN where I ran a 6 man Hunter-Killer team. So... boots were not my specialty.. just small groups where everyone was capable of stepping up and taking charge if necessary.

No major "herd riding for this "lone wolf". Funny you mentioned as I have needed to get someone to help get my 18" BS on a mobile base for a month or so. I couldn't co-oridnate rounding up two other guys as most of my friends stay as busy as I. So.. today I field improvised and got it on the mobile base alone. Well... sorta as a 2 1/2 ton jack.. some oak 2 x 2's.. and some nylon parachute cord were my assistants.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do... :D

Regards...

Sarge..