View Full Version : Jet Xacta fence alignment problem - HELP!

Dennis Parslow
02-10-2008, 8:44 AM
OK, I finally got my Jet Xacta set up (I'll detail my tribulations late). The last thing to do was align the tape measure cursor to be the right distance from the blade. Instructions say to set the cursor at 4" and then measure the distance from the blade to the fence. It was about a half inch, so I loosened the screws and moved it to the left so that I could bring the cursor line to 3 9/16", which was the actual distance from the blade to fence. HOWEVER...:mad: I can't move it any more and it is still off by 1/8". Am I doing something wrong? It's my first quality fence, so this is all new to me, but it seems like the tape measure it just "off". Anyone else see this? If so, what's the fix; get a new tape and apply yourself after you just bought a BRAND NEW cabinet saw? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am going to try and add two pics that attempt to show the distance from the fence and then the cursor position with that measurement. OK, the pics exceed the size limits because I took them on my 9mp camera. Sorry, if anyone thinks seeing them will help I will try and get them up here somehow.

Dennis Parslow
02-10-2008, 8:57 AM
One more thing.. the fence is very hard to move along the rails. I have adjusted everything to be square and have the black screws that adjust parallel to the miter slot as far out as is possible to align it, thinking that was why is was not "sliding" the rails like I had read about and expected. Am I supposed to was it or something?:confused:

Dave Falkenstein
02-10-2008, 9:11 AM
It could be that the tape is applied wrong. It can only be two things - the tape or the cursor. If it is off only a small amount, you can remove the cursor and enlarge the mounting holes from side to side. If that won't work, then the tape needs to be stripped off and a new one applied. I'd bet that Jet will send you a new tape if you ask.

The fence should slide along the rails fairly easily. The fence rides on plastic pads and the two plastic vertical adjustment screws. There are two plastic pads on the t-square that tighten the fence to the fence tube, and one pad on the rear of the fence where the fence contacts the table. Check to be sure the three plastic pads are in place. If not, get some from Jet. The vertical adjustment screws should be set so the fence is just above the table and parallel to the table surface. Those same screws also adjust the fence face square to the table. There are two horizontal adjusting screws in the ends of the t-square that adjust the fence parallel to the miter slot.

Dennis Parslow
02-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I guess I was hoping I was doing something wrong, but I think you are right. Since I really don't want to drill holes in a new fence I will have to make them send me a new tape.

I think I have everything adjusted well and it's still hard to move side to side. So, you don't wax it or anything? Does it just get "worked in" and get smoother with time?

keith ouellette
02-10-2008, 10:33 AM
My tape was off a little also but not like yours. I found it did not read the same as the tape I use to measure everything else. I try to measure everything with the same tape because two different ones may not read the same over a longer distance.

My fence slides very easy unless the lock is not all the way up. If it slips down towards the locked position the fence drags but I think you would have noticed that.

Is the fence resting on the table?
There are set screws that keep the bottom off the fence of the table by a tiny bit. If the fence is touching the table that is your problem.

Dennis Parslow
02-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I am going to recheck every adjustment...

Dennis Parslow
02-10-2008, 11:22 AM
the Jet manual should make one addendum "...never operate machinery while under the influence of alcohol, drugs.... or stupidity. I have had a rough three days with the electric situation and can only blame it on that; I had put the washer on before the blade and that accounts for the difference in the cursor. It's fine.

I readjusted everything and the fence slides a little better now. good enough.

ONE LAST PROBLEM that I don't think is my fault :o the saw runs great, when I power it off the last few rotations of the blade a noisy; like a slight rumble and a few squeaks. Nothing in the manual about that. Is there a belt adjustment I need to make?

Dave Falkenstein
02-10-2008, 5:41 PM
...ONE LAST PROBLEM that I don't think is my fault :o the saw runs great, when I power it off the last few rotations of the blade a noisy; like a slight rumble and a few squeaks. Nothing in the manual about that. Is there a belt adjustment I need to make?

Happy to hear that the tape problem is resolved.

Regarding the fence sliding question - You can put some wax on the top of the tube and on the saw table - I do that from time to time to help things move. I use a silicone-free product that seems to work well. There is some effort required to move the fence - it is heavy and rides on plastic pads. If it is sluggish just because it is heavy, then that's normal. The fence does not "glide" easily, it moves with a little effort. Double check that it is above the table along the entire length of the fence, and that all of the plastic parts are in place. That's about all you can do.

The noise you hear when the saw is stopping is probably belt noise. The belts on some saws are a bit noisy. The belts may have taken on a "set" while the saw was in storage before you bought it. If it does not stop making noise after using it for a while, call Jet and they will solve your problem and/or send you a new set of belts.

Dennis Parslow
02-11-2008, 8:44 AM
Dave, it does sound like belt noise to me. The blade cuts smooth and everything seems aligned very well so that is proably it. I will let Jet techs hear the noise over the phone and I am sure they will take care of it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

Rick Gifford
02-11-2008, 2:34 PM
I was reading your posts with interest as my XACTA will be here soon. I'll try not to apply my own stupidity :D when following the instructions (I always do though!).

I have a Wixey digital fence readout on the bench waiting on the saw. Installed the Wix on the planer and I am sold. I'll still make sure the tape reads right, but I take so long measuring and remeasuring I look forward to the digital accuracy to make it easier for me.