PDA

View Full Version : first sale--cherry salad bowl set--what to charge???

Nathan Hawkes
02-10-2008, 8:32 AM
So I'm new to turning, but enjoying it, and have given away a few bowls. I gave a bowl to the place I work, and already someone wants me to make a set of salad bowls and a large serving bowl. How do I price this?? Its going to be a straightforward 10-12" or so cherry bowl and either 4 or 8 salad serving bowls at 5" in diameter. I'm going to finish it with "salad bowl finish" the beeswax/mineral oil stuff, as I want to tote them as completely food safe, so the finish will be pretty easy as well. I just have no idea what to charge. I've seen threads that people suggest $5-7 per inch of diameter, but for almost production level work I don't want to overdo it and not sell... I have the wood, and the time for it I suppose. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2008, 9:46 AM
Nathan I sold a set of 10 7" mahogany salad bowls with matching spoon/fork and a salt & pepper mill for $495. I used $5 per inch. The salad bowl set included a 13" main salad bowl. I used General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal for the finish and let it set for a week curing. It has been over year now and they have used them 2 to 4 days a week. They wash them in warm soapy water, rinse and dry immediately.

Bob Hallowell
02-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Nathan,
If it were me in my location I would charge $90-100 for the large bowl. $40 for the first salad bowl then if the want me to dupliacte it:eek: it's $300 a bowl after that, seriosly though duplicating a bowl is easy.

Bob

Raymond Overman
02-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Are you going to have to purchase the wood? Is it green and are you going to turn and re-turn the bowls so they will be round? Is the person who asked you about it serious about buying a salad bowl set or are they expecting Target/Wal Mart pricing?

It's not uncommon for a 13"-15" salad bowl out of cherry or walnut to take $150-$200 depending on the market you're in. I've seen salad bowls out of ambrosia maple that sell for $200 easily. A set of four 5" bowls would be another $150. The whole project, if it's quality work and you put the time into it which I'm sure you will, should bring in between $350-$400 depending on material costs in my opinion. Especially if you make a matching salad fork and spoon set to go with it.

If you sell it for less than $200 you're doing yourself a disfavor in the long run. What you're looking at is a lot of work and you should be paid for it.

Skip Spaulding
02-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Nathan, I have a friend that derives his full income from turning and what really bothers him is a hobby turner selling his products to just cover costs. It sounds like the advice here is, you should charge the going price for your work pro or amatuer.

Nathan Hawkes
02-10-2008, 6:06 PM
Are you going to have to purchase the wood? Is it green and are you going to turn and re-turn the bowls so they will be round? Is the person who asked you about it serious about buying a salad bowl set or are they expecting Target/Wal Mart pricing?

It's not uncommon for a 13"-15" salad bowl out of cherry or walnut to take $150-$200 depending on the market you're in. I've seen salad bowls out of ambrosia maple that sell for $200 easily. A set of four 5" bowls would be another $150. The whole project, if it's quality work and you put the time into it which I'm sure you will, should bring in between $350-$400 depending on material costs in my opinion. Especially if you make a matching salad fork and spoon set to go with it.

If you sell it for less than $200 you're doing yourself a disfavor in the long run. What you're looking at is a lot of work and you should be paid for it.

You've brought up a lot of points that I didn't consider. I don't have to buy the wood; a neighbor took down a few trees & I got all the cherry & sealed the ends right away, and got at least a full cord and a half of oak for firewood; it was struck by lightning twice so didn't make good turning wood.

I will have to turn & return; I don't want anything going out that has my name on it that won't look good a couple months or more after they buy it. Hmmm......I was initially thinking about $250 for a 12" bowl and 4 serving bowls, but perhaps thats a little low. I hadn't even thought about making a spoon & fork set, but I guess I have to do that too...Hmmmm....A lot to consider. Thanks folks.