PDA

View Full Version : Microshop Layout

Nathan Odle
02-10-2008, 1:16 AM
So, I'm preparing to finally set up my first 'real' shop in our basement. I'm a city-dweller, so an outbuilding is out of the question, and I'm in the process of finishing out the rest of the basement - so I get what's leftover :)

The usable area in my shop is (get this) a scant 9'-8" x 13'-8". Not much bigger than the average bedroom (and smaller than a lot of them)! I have attached a plan of the layout below - click to see it bigger:

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1112/microshoplayoutqz9.th.jpg (http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=microshoplayoutqz9.jpg)

So here's a brief explanation of the layout:

Rolling Carts (shown in BLUE):
These 30" wide carts hold benchtop tools, and lock both to the wall behind them and to one another to create a long bench. The trick to them is that the tool platform lifts off the top of each cart, and can quickly be swapped for a flat countertop. So, if say you want to use the miter saw you would park it in the end spot (which is the middle of the usable length) and swap the other two tops for flat countertops. This allows you almost 7' of table on the left side of the blade. I will probably build something collapsible for the right side for when I need it. Additionally, the cart can be unlocked and rolled out into the middle of the room (or outside for that matter) if more space is needed).

One component that I plan to do as a later upgrade is to actually set up vertical track on the wall behind each cart and have each tool platform elevate off its cart with an electric winch. This will allow each tool to be stowed high up on the wall when not in use.

Assembly and Finishing Bench (shown in YELLOW):
This will be a typical bench with T-track run along the front and back, and also perpendicular in several locations. There will also be a woodworking vise attached to the front of it. Underneath will be cabinets for tool storage, and shelves above. I have already installed two 2'x4' fluorescent lights with daylight bulbs over the top of this area. There is a *lot* of light, which in my opinion is very helpful when finishing. I will also have a spot to attach a magnifying lamp for working with small parts and electronics projects.

The later upgrade to this bench will be a near-vertical clamping table on the wall behind for gluing up panels, face frames, et cetera. This will be attached at something like 10 or 15 degrees from vertical and will also use T-track. If I told you I could glue up an 8' long panel in my tiny shop and still have plenty of room to work, you'd probably never believe me until you saw it (no pun intended) for yourself :)

Table Saw Work Area (shown in GREEN):
This is where my Bosch 4000-09 will be set up. Obviously with such a small shop I may need this space for other uses, so when necessary I can collapse the Bosch's stand and stash it in the corner. I am getting ready to order the rear and left side support extensions; these coupled with a crosscut sled and telescoping miter fence will actually make for a decent small-size table saw setup I think.

So the reason I post this here, aside from maybe giving someone else ideas, is to get some input. I am still pretty new to woodworking (but not to other forms of tinkering), and I'm hoping that with so much experience here on the board I can get some good suggestions :) Hopefully I've not done anything too stupid here, but if you see a way to do it better I'm all ears!

Also - you'll notice that there isn't a jointer anywhere in this plan ( :( ). To be honest I don't know where I'd put one so for now I'll have to stick with using my router table. If anyone has better ideas on this in particular, I'd love to hear them.

David Parker
02-10-2008, 1:51 AM
Thanks for posting your layout. I'm trying to set up a shop in a 10 x 12 foot space and you've given me some good ideas. I like your interchangeable mobile base/table idea. I have a large lathe right now and plan to add a band saw.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Dave

Brian Keith
02-10-2008, 2:31 AM
My space isnt much bigger(10'x16') and would like to hear from others that have a smaller space. Im always looking for new ideas, so far Im not happy with my layout. Some pics or videos would be great also. Thanks

Nathan Odle
02-10-2008, 3:21 PM
Sounds like I'm not the only one out there with shop space constraints :)

If either of you would like to collaborate on the cart design (I've just barely started working on it), we could start a thread in which to work on it...