PDA

View Full Version : Anybody worked with beechnut?

James Hart
02-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Drove about 120 miles today to take a look at 420 BF of black walnut only to find someone else bough the whole pile 15 minutes before I got there.

Couldn't go home empty handed, so I bought 90 BF of beechnut that they guy had.

Anybody familiar with this wood? What types of things is it typically best suited for?

Thanks,
Jim

Aaron Dunham
02-10-2008, 12:13 AM
No use in my driving to Chandler tomorrow then. Not sure about the beechnut.

Kevin Godshall
02-10-2008, 5:44 PM
Drove about 120 miles today to take a look at 420 BF of black walnut only to find someone else bough the whole pile 15 minutes before I got there.

Couldn't go home empty handed, so I bought 90 BF of beechnut that they guy had.

Anybody familiar with this wood? What types of things is it typically best suited for?

Thanks,
Jim

I've seen alot of Amish made things out this way (Penna) made out of beech. My sister owns a baby crib with a natural finish that is fairly impressive, especially with the way the grain was oriented in various parts. (It has a distinctive look if cut and oriented correctly).

I wouldn't be afraid to try any kind of furniture with it. The biggest problem may be finishing it to make it fit with existing decor.
Good Luck!

Joe Spear
02-10-2008, 5:49 PM
I found a nice, large piece of beech (1 1/2" x 7 1/2" x 10') that I used to make a router table. It is strong and heavy and finishes beautifully, especially if you want to keep the natural look. European beech is used to make workbenches because it is heavy and hard.

Craig D Peltier
02-10-2008, 8:50 PM
Its its just Beech I have used it alot. I like the way it machines an very little knots. One thing it lacks is character. Its also cheap to buy.