PDA

View Full Version : A new beginning!

Ken Glass
02-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Well Turner's, another one is sweep into the Vortex!! I went to the WWing show in St. Louis today, and on the way, met up with Bruce Shiverdecker south of Springfield and we rode together and talked wood turning most of the way down to the show. This started the spinning right away. We also met with the group of about twenty (20) turners at the Cracker Barrel in Caseyville for breakfast. They brought some of their work, and I was pulled deeper into to the swirling mass. Got to see some real incredible work. The fever started growing immediately, and is now already reaching a a point of no return, and I haven't even purchased a Lathe yet. "I must be easily influenced." What a group of great guys. I won't name anyone for fear of leaving someone out, or worse, getting someone into trouble who had orders not to go to the show. After wandering the displays of different Lathes, and contemplating size and function, I came to the realization that I might as well go for the bomb, instead of starting slow and working up. Several turners said, that if they had it to do over, they would have up sized from the beginning. Well at 61, how much up sizing would I do, (I thought). I ended up at the Powermatic display and immediately fell head over heals for the 3520B. I thought a few hundred dollars would satisfy my thirst in the beginning, but after a demo of the 3520B, I was eternally hooked. There were some impressive pricing of that mustard machine and I took advantage of it, and at a dealer only 25 miles from home. So as Bruce says, we got another one of those "flat boarders to turn." Thanks to all!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Wow Ken! Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Welcome to the Vortex and Congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of it once you have it up and running!

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2008, 9:52 AM
Congrats Ken and welcome to the vortex of turning. Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Bill Bolen
02-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Lucky man! My better half made sure I had a bunch to do yesterday! She saw the show marked on our calender and was wise enough to know that a $3K loss in our savings would take place if I found my way there! Afraid the jet 1442 I have will make it for another year...Congrats on the new mustard monster! Do you feel my envy from here?!.....Bill....

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER.

Welcome to the VORTEX. Remember to show pictures when you get your baby home.

Think of it as 5 Adirondack Chairs, that will make the Bite feel better.

It case I didn't tell you, yesterday was a ball.

Bruce

Ben Gastfriend
02-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Wow! Starting out on a mustard! Congrats, and be sure to post lots of pictures of your new toy!

Skip Spaulding
02-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Welcome, there is a lot to be said for not having to up grade.

robert hainstock
02-10-2008, 5:04 PM
Didn't do it wish I had.:) But I'm to old for regrets.:(
Bob

Tom Sherman
02-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Congratulations Ken on your Mustard gloat, and welcome to the spinning world.