PDA

View Full Version : Project: Wet Bar for Addition

Jim Becker
02-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Over the past two weeks, I've been working hard to get the cabinetry ready for the wet bar area in our new addition (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm). While I normally document my projects with large numbers of photos, this time around, I apologize...there just wasn't time for it. But most folks have seen cabinet boxes go together in my other projects so not much is lost in this case. The only things I did differently for this project were the following:
For the base cabinets, I did an experiment and veneered BB ply with rift sawn cherry after edge banding it. Trimming the edges of the face veneers cleanly was difficult, but fortunately repairable. Next time I try this, it will be with solid cherry as a substrate
For the uppers, I built them with 1/2" cherry VC plywood, rather than the heavier 18mm-3/4" BB ply. I also got a chance to use my shop-built shelve pin hole jig made from the NYW plans...a reflection of the expensive aluminum MEG jig. I can tell you that I'm very much in favor of building uppers with the lighter material in the future!So here are a few pictures from the BLOG (which is why they are annotated) I still have to build doors and drawers, but that will have to wait on something else. The lower doors will have the same cherry crotch panels as the vanities and the uppers will likely have glass in them. I needed to get these cabinet carcasses in "now" as the painters are starting Monday and the fit was very tight.

Bruce Page
02-09-2008, 10:48 PM
It's looking good Jim. I bet you are looking forward to having the remodeling project behind you.

Matt Meiser
02-09-2008, 11:01 PM
So are you having fun? You've built a lot more cabinets than I have this past year and you've had to build them to a GC's schedule. I was the GC and 95% of the subs on my projects so I was in "control" of the schedule.

Tom Henry
02-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Fine Work Jim!!!

gary Zimmel
02-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Great work ! It's going to be a fine looking wet bar.

Jim Becker
02-10-2008, 9:45 AM
So are you having fun? You've built a lot more cabinets than I have this past year and you've had to build them to a GC's schedule. I was the GC and 95% of the subs on my projects so I was in "control" of the schedule.

This is exactly why I'd be reluctant to be "in the business". I don't like to have to rush through things, although I have to say that if you have a "method", building cabinetry can move along pretty quickly. That said, I used so many different techniques for all these projects that they were more for skill-building than producing for the schedule. I got "lucky" with being "on time" by starting early...and having major delays due to the township helping out. (The guest bath vanity was completed before the hole was dug...) ;)

C Scott McDonald
02-10-2008, 1:31 PM
Looking good Jim. Are you going to texture your walls or is that not popular in Pennsy? Cant find a house without it in Colorado.

Paul Girouard
02-10-2008, 1:39 PM
Looking good Jim. Are you going to texture your walls or is that not popular in Pennsy? Cant find a house without it in Colorado.

I was wondering the same thing? Maybe it has more to do with when "you have time to install" than proper sequencing, which is totally understandable.

Generally I like to install after texture and paint , but before finish flooring or hardwood flood finish goes down. But there really is no hard and fast rule that ALWAYS gets followed. Every job is "different" in some way schedules get goofed up , stuff is , generally , late , rarely early, etc .

Looks good all in all.

Just think of all the "free time" it will seem you have once this job is done:D

Jay Brewer
02-10-2008, 2:09 PM
Looking great Jim! As nice as the inside of the uppers look, they definatly deserve glass panel doors. Looks like a sink is going in the left base. What kind of top are you going to use? Again, nice work.

Jim Becker
02-10-2008, 2:21 PM
No texture on the walls. Brushed/honed black granite on vanitied and wet bar. (soft NOT shiny look!)

Jason Roehl
02-10-2008, 2:29 PM
Looks good, Jim!

As a painter, though, I hate to see cabinetry hung on unprimed/unpainted walls, especially a wet bar. If it were me, I'd green board that little alcove (and any ceiling areas below it if they exist), prime and at least first coat it all before the cabinet got installed. Just one of those "just in case" things--you know how plumbing is...

I've worked almost through the night before (or at least late into it), just to get primer and a topcoat on walls before the carpenter started hanging cabinets. There are a lot of GCs out there who need to have their necks wrung because their schedule/haste forces an inferior product...

Sorry for the rant/hijack...back to watching "Fine Cabinetry with Jim"!

Robert E Johnson III
02-10-2008, 2:38 PM
Wow, your project is looking good, pine flooring looks good also.

Charles Wilson
02-10-2008, 4:16 PM
Jim:

1) Grex nailer? - How do you like it?

2) Face frames - attached with glue and biscuits?

3) Face frames - connected via pocket screws?

Looks nice,

Chuck

Anthony Anderson
02-10-2008, 4:29 PM
Very Nice, Jim. Do you just pin the face frames on, or do you use biscuits as well, while the pins act only as a temporary clamp until the biscuits swell and the glue sets? I have wondered how just pins and glue alone would hold up. Have you ever strength tested just pins and glue? You always amaze me with your projects, and your dedication to always take pictures, document, and post your projects so we can all learn. Much appreciated. Regards, Bill

Jim Becker
02-10-2008, 5:13 PM
Jason, it would have been preferable to wait on the cabs until after paint, but due to the tight nature of the space and the resulting wall repairs, this was better. We also have the stone folks coming on Monday to template, so they had to be in. The painters are outstanding and will not have issue on this...we asked.

---
Face frame constructed with pocket scres. Three biscuits at top just for alignment glue and 1 3\8 pins hold it on. Glue requireed pins not enough.

Lori Kleinberg
02-10-2008, 5:55 PM
The cabinets look great so far. Another interesting thread on your cabinet building. Keep them coming.

Jason Roehl
02-10-2008, 7:02 PM
Jason, it would have been preferable to wait on the cabs until after paint, but due to the tight nature of the space and the resulting wall repairs, this was better. We also have the stone folks coming on Monday to template, so they had to be in. The painters are outstanding and will not have issue on this...we asked.

At least you asked! As far as the wall repairs and cutting in next to the cabinet (or masking it off), that really wasn't what I was getting at, but it IS nice to not have to do that stuff. I was thinking in terms of if there is ever a leak, the damage can be a little less if there is greenboard in the area and it is primed and painted behind the cabinet. When it comes to the resulting damage, I don't think I've ever seen cabinets and countertops put in an alcove like that without at least SOME drywall damage, but some are more careful than others...:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
03-11-2008, 8:03 PM
I took off the past 5 business days after SO much travel in February and spent some of the time getting the doors and drawers completed for the wet bar in our (hopefully) soon to be completed home addition. Today was the "final" component construction when I ran a custom crown molding to trim off the top of the upper cabinets. I also ordered the glass for the doors and shelves as I was out and about in the afternoon.

For these doors, I went back to the cope/stick 15º Shaker cutters I used in our kitchen. The panels in the lower doors are once again veneered from the same cherry feather crotch flitch as the vanities in the master bath...continuing the theme through almost all the built-in cabinetry. I'll be doing the same in my new office credenza, too, most likely. As mentioned the upper doors will be receiving glass and I picked out an "antiquey" looking product for that purpose. The crown shares the same double bead detail that all the casework throughout the addition has. The drawer fronts are from a single board I scored in my last order from Mike Morgan...just incredible figure. And because of that as well as the doors, I'm glad that my designs use straight-grained, rift/QS stock for the rails and stiles. Less competition that way... ;)

The "leather-look" absolute black granite top should be installed in a few days; either Thursday if the flu doesn't keep the installer out or next week as we are in the middle of finishing the floors "as we speak". (Starting Thursday, the floor will be colored and then three days of clear coating will preclude any access) I'll post a final picture once the top is in place.

And once again, my apologies for not doing a more detailed pictorial on this project. There just wasn't time to stop for even a few moments for this one due to nearly three weeks (and weekends) of business travel and the need to get it done.

Lee Koepke
03-11-2008, 8:15 PM
Nice drawer fronts. Very nice.

You make very good grain selections for your work. It all seems to compliment itself. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce Page
03-11-2008, 8:37 PM
That is simply beautiful Jim. I am looking forward to seeing it finished.

Jason Roehl
03-12-2008, 6:24 AM
So, the burning question is...what grit is that Noton NorZon Plus belt in the corner of the picture? :D

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 7:16 AM
So, the burning question is...what grit is that Noton NorZon Plus belt in the corner of the picture? :D

80 grit. ;) Flooring folks are sanding the pine floors in preparation for color on Thursday and then three coats of finish by the end of the weekend. I did post an update to the BLOG (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm) last night.

Matt Meiser
03-12-2008, 7:31 AM
The cabinets look great Jim. I see trim and paint, and if they are finishing the floors you must be getting close!

Tim Malyszko
03-12-2008, 7:45 AM
The cabinets look great. I really like the grain in the drawer fronts.

ROY DICK
03-12-2008, 2:31 PM
Jim,

I always enjoy and appreciate your sharing of the updates on the projects you have taken on. /)'s up to you.

I looked at the cabinets this morning and just WOW! Outstanding.

Later this afternoon I just couldn't get the picture of you standing on the top step of your ladder though.:( And thought I would take a little time to remind everyone of the hazard envolved in doing so.

I just had to chime in and hope you reconsider this practice.

I have seen what can happen in a split second.

Roy

ROY DICK
03-12-2008, 2:36 PM
Add out of my head
Roy

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 3:07 PM
Roy, good point on the small step ladder. The majority of the time, I had one foot on the ladder and one on the cabinet. Fortunately, that top step is only about two feet off the floor!

Chris Padilla
03-12-2008, 3:32 PM
Roy, good point on the small step ladder. The majority of the time, I had one foot on the ladder and one on the cabinet. Fortunately, that top step is only about two feet off the floor!

Still, that is a lot of mass on that top step that gravity will react with should the foundation crumble! :D :p ;)

'F = m a' says that you'd hit the floor with a force of about 900 N!

Oh, the lower cabinet faces: SUPERB! Curly hardwood is the schlitz. Maybe I missed it but are those solid fronts or veneered from a lone precious board you have?

Nice job on the crotch as well...love the contrast it provides and how it sweeps.

Dunno about that 'hot mustard' paint that SWMBO picked.... ;)

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 3:42 PM
Chris, the drawer fronts are solid stock from Mike Morgan. In my last buy, there were about 5 boards with curly figure and this one with, as you say, "Schlitz" curly figure. (Schlitz was a popluar beer around here years ago...my grandfather's favorite. In fact, he died in his easy chair with a Schlitz on the table beside him. Not from the beer, however...from a broken heart as his bride preceded him in death about 9 months prior. But I digress)

The walls in that room are quite bold, but honestly, when you stand in there, you can just feel that it's going to work once the floors are done and furniture is in...not to mention the 52" Sharp Aquos "distraction" that will be on the wall... LOL.

Brent Ring
03-12-2008, 4:32 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! When I grow up I want to build just like Jim!

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 4:59 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! When I grow up I want to build just like Jim!

Thanks, but no you don't...too much "seat of the pants" around here!

Howie French
03-12-2008, 7:38 PM
Jim -

as usual, very nice !!

Howie

Anthony Anderson
03-12-2008, 9:29 PM
(Schlitz was a popluar beer around here years ago...my grandfather's favorite. In fact, he died in his easy chair with a Schlitz on the table beside him. Not from the beer, however...from a broken heart as his bride preceded him in death about 9 months prior. But I digress)

To digress is okay Jim. I like hearing stories like that, especially when it seems that most marriages don’t make it past the tenth year anymore.

As for your wet bar project, you make it look way too easy. I keep telling myself, ‘someday, someday, it will be that easy for me’, but it still hasn’t happened yet. Thanks for posting the pics, especially when time is tight. BTW, I remember seeing Schlitz Beer in Ohio, a long time ago. I wonder if it’s made anymore. Bill