PDA

View Full Version : Yates American J-170

Steve Mawson
02-09-2008, 10:22 PM
I have not looked at this lathe yet but from the picture it would seem to be in decent shape. If anyone knows anything about this machine I would appreciate your input. I have a spec sheet that lists motor size, capacity, bed, frames, headstock, tailstock and toolrest. Literature is telling me this unit comes in at about 500 pounds.

I have been turning off and on since I was a kid but never with a top end machine. Small table top lathes when I was younger and a ShopSmith for the last several years. Yesterday I put a larger spindle of cherry on the ShopSmith and things are just not that stable. I have been reading this forum for the last couple of months and I am really getting the fever. Any and all help appreciated.

Pat Salter
02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
I have one and I love it. the one I bought didn't have a tailstock or toolrest but I found that a Delta tailstock and toolrest for a 12" lathe fits just fine. When I first ran it the machine gave off a deep hollow sound but I filled the legs with sand and that helped a great deal.

you should enjoy it.

Bruce Page
02-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Pictures? I don't see any pictures....

Dale Miner
02-10-2008, 8:20 AM
I have a Yates-American, actually was my first wood lathe. I bought it to spin metal on, as it has perhaps the heaviest headstock on any lathe in it's size range. This machine is a one horsepower, and has more than enough power for wood turning and metal spinning.

The machine was a "Top of the line" lathe when built. The variable speed drive is well built, and the banjo has a two piece clamp system that clamps tighter that the banjo on the 3520b I now use. I don't think there is a more well built 12" swing lathe out there.

Two items that detract; The low speed is about 550 rpm. This was really not a problem once I started bandsawing my bowl blanks. The cabinet does growl. I added some wooden pieces to dampen the noise.

I still have, and occasionally use the Yates. Altogher, a very nice machine.

Later,

Dale M

Steve Mawson
02-10-2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii250/smawson/Picts/010105010303011603200801319a086df3a.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Hopefully this will show a picture of the lathe. Still not very talented at adding pictures.

Bruce Page
02-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Steve, that looks like a nice lathe. Is it single or 3 phase?

Bob Hallowell
02-10-2008, 2:03 PM
Looks like one solid beast but I don't think you would be able to make a very big bowl. What is the swing?

Bob

Steve Mawson
02-10-2008, 3:09 PM
Actually the seller has two, one three phase-3/4 hp. The other one is 1 hp single phase-$350 more for the single phase. Perhaps the single phase unit is in better shape. I may go take a look if they are still for sale this coming week.

Swing over the bed is 12" and swing over the gap is 16 1/2" by 4 1/2" thick. I believe you can also turn on the outboard side of the headstock. A different toolrest would have to be set up.

Do you think a 1 1/8" spindle will make it hard to find chucks etc. that will fit.

Dale Miner
02-10-2008, 5:48 PM
Oneway lists adapters for the Talon, and the Stronghold with 1-1/8 -8. I think that Teknatool also has them for their chucks.

Later,

Dale M

Dick Strauss
02-11-2008, 8:40 PM
Steve,
You can take advantage of the gap by using a faceplate to turn platter. Other than that, the 4" gap bed will be almost useless by the time you add in a good chuck.

You said the 1hp/1ph model is $350 more? What is the person asking for the lathe? I wouldn't pay more than $400-500 total for that lathe if it was in really good condition and came with lots of goodies. If the only difference is single phase vs 3 phase, a new motor with more power can be had for under $150 through fleabay!

FYI-I ran across a PM90 that needed a little work for $200. I decided to pass...

Good luck,
Dick

Brett Baldwin
02-12-2008, 1:05 PM
You can get the 1 1/8 x 8 thread adapters fairly easily. I just took advantage of Lee Valley's sale on the tecknatool chucks which have those adapters.

Something to consider with the 3 phase machine is that you can get a VFD to convert 110 single phase to 220 three phase for about $200 which will also give you a potentiometer speed control to go lower than the 550 rpm. That is what I'm doing with my Oliver 159.