PDA

View Full Version : Nova going to China

Gregg Feldstone
02-09-2008, 8:39 PM
Has anyone seen the Chinese made Nova chucks? Are all their chucks going to made in China now? Opinions on qulity? Will the NZ made chucks have parts available after a while?

Bill Bolen
02-09-2008, 10:43 PM
I read a reveiw on another site about the Nova. Guy was pretty scientific, measuring runout on NZ vs, PRC made Nova chuks (SN2 I think) and the readings were identical. There was a bit of cosmetic difference. The PRC version had deep grooves machined into the upper part of the chuck, while the NZ version had light lines machined into the lower part of the chuck. Also on the sn2 the "close" inscribed onto the closing mechanism had changed to "lock" on the PRC version. Right now I'm sure tecknatool is watching the quality closly. Who knows after the spotlight is off? ....Bill...a

Barry Elder
02-09-2008, 10:47 PM
In a discussion on another forum, it would appear that Nova is not going to sacrifice their reputation for more profit as our American companies are likely to do at the drop of a hat. They are maintaining their design and manufacturing standards in the PRC factory just as they have done in the past "down under"! At least that seemed to be the opinion of the responders.

tim mathis
02-09-2008, 11:43 PM
i purchased some nova jaws from a teknatool seller in canada and aked him the origin of his stock (which was NZ ) . he said that teknatool moved all original manufacturing machines from nz to china and that with reduced labor rates , the china workers can spend more time on the chucks and jaws . he said that the chucks from china had better fit and finish than the NZ ones. i have purchased all NZ made nova stuff , even if the fit and finish is better i choose not to buy made in china where and when i can .