PDA

View Full Version : Tallboy finished!!!

Scott Rollins
02-09-2008, 7:02 PM
Finally finished ny daughters tallboy dresser. I designed it myself so please be kind. I built the dresser to match the bed I made last spring.

The drawers are half blind dovetails on the front and through in the back. They were made on my version of the woodrat (search sawmillcreek for "scottrat" for pics) shich I built to make the dovetails and the tenon joints for the sides.

This is my first attampt at full inset drawers...they are as challenging as everyone says. The drawers ride on UHMW tape from Lee Valley to ease opening and closing.

John Timberlake
02-09-2008, 7:08 PM
Nice job. I like the different size of drawers and the curved skirt. Keep up the good work.

Jay Brewer
02-09-2008, 7:09 PM
I think it looks great, and your daughter seems to like it also :D, great job.

Scott Rollins
02-09-2008, 7:11 PM
This is the first thing I ever built. I designed this as well. It is a close copy of a bed from Pottery barn. They headboard and footboard have a bent lamination for the top. The canopy and spinlde extentions are removable to make it more of a standard top.

Bruce Page
02-09-2008, 7:12 PM
Very nice Scott, the dovetails look great. Your daughter is a sweetie – and a happy one too!

Jim Becker
02-09-2008, 7:28 PM
Very nice work! And a very cute customer, too!!!!

Jeffrey Makiel
02-09-2008, 7:52 PM
Scott...very handsome. Nice proportions. You are now an expect at making draws too. :)

-Jeff :)

Mathew Nedeljko
02-09-2008, 7:55 PM
Scott, very nice dresser and bed, and agree your daughter is so cute! My daughter has the same color scheme in her room and I'm sure she would love both of these pieces.

One thing I did notice is that the dresser knobs on the top two shelves do not line up with the knobs on the other drawers. If I was building this unit I would have moved the knobs on the larger drawers in an inch or two from each end so that I would have two vertical rows of knobs.

You probably thought of doing this and decided against it?

Anyway, great work and I'm sure it will serve your daughter well for years to come.

Carroll Courtney
02-09-2008, 8:21 PM
Nice job on the details,such a cutiepie!!

Rick Gifford
02-09-2008, 8:30 PM
Nice tallboy and even cuter kid. Congrats (on both!).

Jay Jolliffe
02-09-2008, 8:50 PM
The search for scottrat just comes back to this thread. Can you post the pics.

gary Zimmel
02-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Scott

Very nice job! Your customer looks like she gives it the thumbs up....

Dave MacArthur
02-10-2008, 3:05 AM
Nice job! You made SOMEBODY very happy! What a cutie, she'll love that forever!