PDA

View Full Version : My first marquetry project

Chad Voller
02-09-2008, 6:10 PM
Here's my first marquetry project that I am finishing up on. It's of course the Eagle, Globe and Anchor for the US Marines. Made it with the intent to give to my buddy for his 30th birthday. I found the EGA on wikipedia, along with many other government logos. It's 12" in diameter and made of stained maple veneer.

I learned alot on this project, and can't wait for the next one. One thing was how to keep the tiny little pieces like the individual feathers from blowing out of the exhaust. And keeping the veneer laying flat. I put some hard drive magnets on the vector cutting table in strategic locations where the laser was not going to cut. Then I put a piece of cardboard on top of that to keep the small pieces from falling down once cut. Then I put on the stained veneer. I used thin washers over the magnets to hold down the veneer. Each magnet had about 5-10 pounds of holding force, so the washers held the veneer down nice and flat, even through the wood and cardboard. Removing the washers was as easy as sliding them to the side a bit and lifting.

The veneer still wanted to curl up slightly after being cut if there was no magnet in the area, and I ruined one piece when the laser head snagged it and ripped the whole sheet nearly in half before my finger actually hit the STOP button. Lucky I had extra wood. So I learned to send passes, and cut from the center out, pausing the head so it didn't cause problems, and then removing the pieces that were just cut. To do this I used masking tape and just laid it over the pieces, lightly pressed down, then lifted them up. I only lost 1 little piece that I had to recut. To reduce the rush of air over the cutting area, I just opened the front door just enough that the smoke and vapors cleared quickly enough, but not to the point of pulling small pieces up and out into the exhaust.

Putting it all together took forever. It would have been the ultimate puzzle if I didn't keep the pieces on the masking tape that was used to remove them from the laser. This made putting them back easy, but still time consuming.

I thought I was going to have a problem finding stain in blue. But lucky for me Menards can custom mix stain in many colors. The final marquetry piece was then glued to a 1/4" piece of plywood using glue paper that reacts to the heat press we have. We usually use this for paper and cardboard, but it seems to be holding nice and tight. It has no where near the pressure that veneer presses have, so there is little ridges in between each piece, like 1/64" or less. I'll have to figure out how to make a press for future use.

Next time I'm going to try and offset the lines for half the thickness of the laser so I can get rid of those little gaps. They aren't too hideous, but I think it would make it look much better without them. My staining skills suck too. Haven't had to stain anything since my shop class days in high school, so this one is slightly blotchy. I did try to vary the grain direction depending on the part, hard to see in the photo since the grain wasn't that tight on the veneer I got. But I really like how the light shimmers on the blue area as you move around. I wish I would have done something similar to the dark red areas to add more appeal.

Thanks for looking!

PS Sorry about the bad image. I took it after 2 light coats of laquer, and should have taken it before any coats so not to get reflections in the photo, oh well.

Joe Pelonio
02-09-2008, 6:38 PM
Fantastic job, no one would know it was your first!

Skip Weiser
02-09-2008, 7:22 PM
All I can say is WOW, absolutely beautiful !

Chad Voller
02-09-2008, 8:14 PM
Here's a closeup shot to show the little feathers and stuff.

Scott Shepherd
02-09-2008, 9:09 PM
Chad, that's just STUNNING! It's one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen a photo of on this forum.

Your friend's jaw will certainly drop to the ground when he sees it and I'm sure he'll cherish it as much as you cherished making it for him.

Well done and thanks for sharing, that's just incredible.

Jeff Gilchrist
02-09-2008, 9:32 PM
Well done Chad.

I hope to try that one day; hopefully with the same results.

Mike Null
02-09-2008, 9:35 PM
I agree! Just outstanding.

If I had made that and were to sell it it would be a triple digit number.

Keith Outten
02-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Chad,

Fantastic workmanship, Bravo!

AL Ursich
02-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Very Nice.... The best I have seen too....

AL US Navy Retired Chief FCC(SW)

George M. Perzel
02-10-2008, 9:55 AM
Chad;
Outstanding effort, especially for your first attempt-very well done.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Frank Corker
02-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Great stuff Chad, well done!

Chad Voller
02-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Joe, Skip, Scott, George, Frank: Thanks for the kind words. It really gives me motivation to keep going. I usually pick up a hobby, figure it out, get bored, then move on to the next one. I'm really enjoying this lazer and I hope I don't get bored with it.

Mike: Thanks. I doubt I could even make a profit on these if I were to sell them. Granted it was my first one, but it seemed like it took too long to put it together, time x $$$ = too high. But the satisfaction of giving it to a good friend should be enough payment.

Keith: Thanks. When I think of workmanship it always reminds me of Norm Abram from the 'New Yankee Workshop' on PBS. Loved that show. So I'll take that as a huge compliment.

Jeff: With time and patience you can do anything. Here's a link to some of the government logos I found on Wiki for when the time comes when you want to do something similar. Majority of them are public domain. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/United_States

Al: I appreciate your comment. I have two old high school friends who are in the Navy right now. My best friend just got his wings in Mississippi, and will be moving to Lemoore shortly to begin his training with the F/A-18C. He just turned 30 recently and all the others call him 'old man'. I guess 30 is old for pilot training. :) The other is on the USS Nimitz, and works with the nuclear reactor. I am very proud of both of them. Of course the EGA was made for my buddy who got out of the marines about 6-8 months before 911. He's now a firefighter, but I think there's a part of him that wishes he was still in.

Luke Phillips
02-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Chad - Absolutely fantastic! That's quite an accomplishment for your first try. I'm sure your friend will be very proud to have this piece. You'll gain more over time, but like most of us, you are your own worst critic! Take pride in what you've done and savor the smile on the face of your friend when he sees the work you've done.

We will want to know more about how you did this, please post settings and other details.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Chad Voller
02-10-2008, 1:17 PM
Thanks Luke. Not sure really how to help with how I did this, but I'll try.

The settings I used I kinda pulled out of nowhere. I basically have a test file to test materials with the laser. It consists of a bunch of small vector boxes, each with their own color so I could give each color a speed/power setting. I then used a small scrap piece of veneer that I could use to do these cutting tests on. The one that made the cut all the way through without doing the most damage to the wood, won. I think it was 100 power, 25 speed (25-30 watt laser, M30). CORRECTION: just checked, the speed was 15, not 25. Next time I'm going to try to reduce the speed and power more yet. There is some little jaggies on the large circular cuts, and even with all tight mirrors, clean bearings and belts, there just seems to be little areas that take a little more force to move the laser head around. And I think this is the cause of the jaggies. So if I slow it down some, it should be eliminated, or at least reduced in size. My theory....

Other than that, all the cutting paths relied on me being able to separate the colored areas into chunks that I could line up with the grain of the wood. In the attachments, you can kinda see how I layed everything out in Illustrator to do this. The white layer I tossed a background color in so you could see the white....

I then exported them out as Illustrator 8 files, and imported them into Laser Master 8 on the dedicated PC. LM8 is not the best software in the world, quite ugly actually, but it came with the laser and it works. In LM8 I made sure that the vector art had no fill, and that the line width was hairline.

For the parts, like white and gold, I selected the stuff I wanted to cut first, as to make sure I could keep an eye on it so the veneer wouldn't curl up too fast. Then I inverse selected, and deleted the stuff I did not want to cut. Sent to laser, and removed the pieces that were cut. I then reloaded the file again. Selected the next area that I want to cut next, invert, delete, send again. Might not be the most efficient way, but it worked great.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: in the gold area, you can see where the rope twists are on the bottom. No two are the same. This is how it was in the vector file. I was going to just take one and instance it, but I wanted to see if I could keep them all in order to keep it as close to the original as possible. So I made a mark where I wanted to start, and for some reason I choose the 9 o'clock position. No real reason for it, I just looked at it and said, 'here'. Then I rotated each one into position, and in order, one at a time. This was a pain in the butt, but necessary to keep them lined up with the grain of the wood. Putting them back was as easy as going to the 9 o'clock position and putting them in place, one by one.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to say. :) But if there are any other questions, I'll gladly help if I can.

Frank Corker
02-10-2008, 2:38 PM
I usually pick up a hobby, figure it out, get bored, then move on to the next one. I'm really enjoying this lazer and I hope I don't get bored with it

I was exactly the same up until I bought my laser. Still not bored with it two years down the line.

Chad Voller
02-11-2008, 2:37 PM
Unfortunately it's not my laser, and I can only really use it after hours at work. I wish I didn't live in an apartment, I'd really consider getting a laser, mini-lathe, mini-mill, and CNC router and start up a business. Once I got the hang of all the equipment of course. :) I'll just keep dreaming in the time being...

William Johanson
02-11-2008, 3:01 PM
Chad, Beautiful work, What do you plan to mount it on or in if anything? I could see this flush mounted into the top of a chest or mounted inside of a frame. Very nice. I have tried my hand at Intarsia (almost the same but using thicker wood pieces) with great results before I got my laser All Scroll work. Your right the time spent could probably never be a viable money maker but boy do you get satisfation finishing a project like that. Wow, I just noticed we are practically neighbors, I live in St. Paul Park and work in South Saint Paul. If you want to see some big lasers at work come and see me at my Day job, We have 4 Lasers running currently the biggest being 2000 Watts. Keep up the great work,

Bill

Chad Voller
02-13-2008, 3:39 PM
Hey Bill. Nice seeing a local on here. Thought I was one of the only Minnesotan's on here, yaa. <--picture the stereotypical voices from the movie Fargo....

My friend wants it, as-is. I think he's just gonna hang it on the wall, or something like that.

If it was mine, I'd probably put it on top of some deep red velvet type of material, and then frame that with a darker wood frame, so it wouldn't draw away too much attention from the piece. Not sure if I'd have it enclosed with glass or not. I'm still very new at this, and really don't have any tools anymore since my move from the St. Cloud area. But once I get a house, in a year or so, I plan on having a mini-shop in the basement for stuff like this.

For the time being though, if I have to do any type of wood work, I use my dad's shop back home, if everything is not put away for sausage, beef stick, or meat cutting that is. If the extruder or bonesaw is out, then I use my friends equipment.

I might have to take you up on the offer to see your job sometime down the road. My boss is already thinking of getting a laser that has a larger bed so we can do packages that aren't limited to the small 25x18 bed size. This wouldn't be until we find a new place for the business with more room for a workshop. But, of course he doesn't need heavy duty industrial equipment. I think he was thinking of one of the cnc router conversions where you can put a laser attachment on. This way we can also router out any molds for vacuum molding clamshells and such....