PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Chris Schwarz Workbench

Randy Klein
02-09-2008, 5:04 PM
I'm getting ready to build a new workbench and wanted to throw out a poll to see what everyone's opinion is. I'm going to be using hand tools mainly, so the bench needs to be able to handle dovetailing, planing, etc...

nick brigg
02-09-2008, 6:29 PM
i fell in love with the frank klausz bench, i'm going to be starting it in a few days. got a shoulder vise and tail vise, so thats pretty geared toward handtools.

Thomas Knighton
02-09-2008, 7:32 PM
I love the aesthetics of the English bench more than I can explain. However, I'm planning on a Roubo bench myself.

Tom

Matt Lentzner
02-10-2008, 2:10 AM
I'm planning on building a Roubo with a wagon vise, no crochet, and a shortened leg vise. In spite of those specifics, it will be my first bench so take my opinions with a grain of salt. :o

Matt

Tim Sgrazzutti
02-10-2008, 9:31 AM
I voted for the Holtzapffel, which I would build if I hadn't just completed a new bench right around the first time I saw it.

The bench I built last summer was an arts and crafts workbench from a design by Ian Kirby that was in WWJ a few years back. I chose it because it's robust, and simple -- a bench I could build and finish sometime soon. It's only workholding is a cast iron front vise, and an adjustable planing stop. After using it for a few projects, I have to say I am very pleased with it.

Tom Stovell
02-10-2008, 1:53 PM
My choice was the Holtzapffel bench due to the wooden twin-screw vise. I'll probably use a wagon vise in place of a tail vise.

Tom

Randy Klein
02-10-2008, 2:38 PM
My choice was the Holtzapffel bench due to the wooden twin-screw vise. I'll probably use a wagon vise in place of a tail vise.

Tom

That's the way I'm leaning right now. Trying to figure out how/what for the twin screw though.

Tom Stovell
02-10-2008, 9:59 PM
That's the way I'm leaning right now. Trying to figure out how/what for the twin screw though.

This is what I've got now:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ThosS/newbench.jpg

My plan is to make a new base. I thought a Shaker bench was the key and set about to make drawers and cabinets underneath. I've had a change of heart, so that painted base will go to my brother. The walnut drawers will go to make part of a new sharpening station.

Tom

Ps. I see you're in SW Ohio, too. I'm in Tipp City.

Chris Friesen
02-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Given unlimited space/time/money I'd build a roubo-style bench but add Holtzapffel workholding.

I'd also make the stretchers wider for additional protection against racking.

As it stands, I'm currently in the process of building a Holtzapffel-style bench. We can't get southern yellow pine up here in the Canadian prairies, but I did manage to score some hard maple baseball bat blanks from Lee Valley for the legs and I'm salvaging some maple bowling alley segments for the top. It'll have bolted stretchers and a removable top for ease of moving when the time comes.