PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
03-08-2004, 9:11 AM
Well....another weekend has come and gone. I wasn't on-call so it was a good weekend. :)

I spent a little time in the shop. Spent some time Saturday teaching some homeschool kids how a Freedom Pen was made. Took them through the whole process of making a pen. Was a really cool thing to do and I loved every minute of it.

Spent Sunday after church stuffing the pen tubes with extra pieces of paper and putting each note in with each Freedom Pen. I will be shipping my first 40 Freedom Pens to SMC this week. Yes, I know I already issued a Freedom Pen to Sgt Tim Smith but.....I just felt better making up the one I already gave away to Sgt Smith to send to the troops overseas. ;)

Here's the reason I gave one away:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=7536

Other than that.....not much else for this weekend.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of Weeks.......

Tyler Howell
03-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Good Weekend!A lot of shop time. Long punch list of items for the house. Put away a lot of the construction supplies that I’ve been using for the last few months found all kinds of space I forgot I had. Also got back on the hoarse that threw me Friday night:o. Cut up some ¾ baltic birch for shelves and a permanent home for the Kreg pocket hole jig on the TS.Have a safe week.

Scott Coffelt
03-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Looked at some more land, man it is tough to find exactly what I am looking for.... anyways, still searching. I did have one lot that was real nice, a little of 3 acres. Its complete will all utilities and sewer. The realtor called the place and to inquire on building requirements, at the end whent he lady heard about the size of house I want to build (which would be on scale with the smaller house range) she states "Oh, the price of the lots just went up $15k today), uummmm she didn't mentioned that in the first 15 minutes of their conversation. Funny thing is, my house would be the same size has the house two lots down.

Anyways, still waiting on the building requirements.

Go the LOML all the tools for here new hobby, glass fusing, all I know is the next time she whines about a tool purchase I will just slip in the amount its cost here to start this hobby.

So now we have the tools, so she needed a bench. I threw together a nice 2x4 frame (4x4 posts) and a work surface. She now has a big 36x60 work surface. Assembled her some metal wire shelves, and she was able to get everything organized. She is stoked. After our upcoming family vacation, she'll get to begin practising making 2x2 glass tiles for either our new upcoming house or a remodel of our current house.

Tha tha tha, that's all folks.

Jim Becker
03-08-2004, 10:46 AM
It was a great weekend...and only making it about a week longer would have made it better! :D

Since Friday was my birthday and I had two incredibly long business days previous to it, I pretty much just dealt with some regular maintenance on the truck (oil change/alignment) and finally got the Leer cap installed. It was the right shade of white this time around.:rolleyes: I also picked up the Bucks Woodturners' club lathe to use for the classes I was scheduled to teach on Sunday. Friday night, LOML and I watched the DVD of the week, which was a very strange film called Memento. Interesting story told in a very unique way...backwards.

Saturday pretty much was spent resurecting that little Vicmark lathe from rust-heck. I also had to re-wire it as I was not comfortable with the way things were and the potential shock and fire hazzard from aging wire. Once that was accomplished, I did my final preparations for the class, which included partially turned pieces to use for demonstration the next day. Saturday evening, I took my friend Russ and his wife (and my LOML)out to dinner to celebrate his retirement from our mutual employer after 37 years of service.

Sunday was a busy day! I had two turning classes scheduled with two students in each plus Tom and Noah. Both classes went extremely well. We concentrated on the basics, such as body position, tool handling, smooth motion and a nice technique for turning small objects on a glue block start to finish without reversing. I took a bunch of pictures and will post them next week when I return home...which points to the remainder of Sunday which was spent in a big blue vehicle with wings "puddle jumping" to the UK. Fortunately, the "upgrade Gods" were with me as I got the very last seat in the "you can stretch out and eat real food" section of the plane. Nevertheless...it was still only three hours of pseudo-sleep. The dang sun comes up a lot earlier her in the land of incomprehensable money.:o (yawn...)

Terry Hatfield
03-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Believe it or not.....

I atually got the coffee table stained and one coat of poly on it!!! Hopefully tonite I can get another coat of poly on.

I also made some egdebanded melamine drawer fronts and a door for my miter station so it matches the router station. Turned out pretty nice.

Everyone have a good week,

Terry

John Miliunas
03-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Friday evening, spent some time working on daughter's room. Saturday was spent with LOML at the Home Products Show. Neat stuff. Expensive stuff. Got some good ideas, though. Returning home, started on DC improvement for BS. Sunday, finished up BS mod, got another wall and a 1/2 done in daughter's room, figured out how many Oak strips I'm short after taking LOML's count as "gospel". :rolleyes: Scored a nice junk of Spalted Maple. Enough for 4 smaller bowls, though that count is down to 3 now, because one blew up on me. The other is rough-turned and soaking in LDD. Finally tried out the Ellsworth PM Bowl gouge and my sharpening mod for the Wolverine. Both work well. Operator needs improvement, though! :D Have a great week, all! :cool:

Jack Diemer
03-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Friday, finished adding dust collection to my Incra fence (Ill post a couple of pics later) it works like a charm. Saturday, finished woodworking on Doll House book case. Sunday, watched the kids while the wife began painting the doll house book case. Should be pretty cool looking when I'm finished. Not the most manly of projects I've worked on though.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Reaquainted myself with pen turning and knocked out several pens for the FPP.

Went out Friday since #1 daughter was home from Purdue and spent time with her and future son-in-law.

Helped SWMBO/LOML assemble a stool she bought for the kitchen (she didn't want to wait for me to build one). What a piece of JUNK! She bought two stools and we managed to make one from the parts. The finish was splotchy and rough, the holes wouldn't accomodate the hardware supplied (read modifications req'd) and the finished stool won't sit flat (though I may be able to loosen the screws and adjust it a bit). Later on LOML said the shop stools I'd thrown together a couple years ago were better than the one she'd just bought. I think it's the best $50 (orig $100+ but they were on sale) I may have spent in some ways! I didn't complain when she went and got them as it was what she wanted (instant gratification). Now she believes me that that kind of stuff is junk and maybe appreciates what I can make a little more, though I'm still too slow!

Have a good week! I'm off to Phoenix on business this week.

Mac

Dennis McDonaugh
03-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Not much shop time this weekend--track meet on Friday night and Saturday AM and relationship building...i.e. dinner and theater on Saturday night. I did manage to glue a panel in upside down on the entertainment center I'm building for Katherine. It is HARD to get a piece a plywood out of a dado after the glue dries.

Keith Starosta
03-08-2004, 12:18 PM
It was a pretty disappointing weekend from a "shop time" point of view. I had planned on starting my new workbench Saturday morning, but we got word Friday night that we were to have some unexpected company starting tonight, so my wife went on a SPRING CLEANING rampage at Casa de Starosta. The majority of the weekend was spent hauling/dusting/wiping, etc. :( Oh well....major points were scored in the process, which is good.

Hey Mac, I have a friend on the Speedway Police force. Do you know any of those guys?

Have a great week!!

Keith

Dan Smith
03-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Actually worked in the shop this weekend instead of the 2nd story of our house. (For those who don't know, we are finishing the upstairs of our cape, started just after christmas, and hope to be finished before the "new addition" comes in July) Spent the two days building the router table /table saw wing that I have been wanting to do for a while now. Need to finish the fence, then pictures will be on the way.

-dan

Mark Bachler
03-08-2004, 1:11 PM
Got everything wired Saturday. 3/4" conduit, 10 ga. wire, 30 amp
breakers, twist lock plugs. Everything works great. No switch
problems, everything spins in the right direction. Life is good. 8o) Took 15 shop pictures & will post as soon as I get them developed & scanned.

Plowed snow Sat. late afternoon from Fridays storm. Plowed snow Sunday from Sat. nights storm.

Dick Parr
03-08-2004, 1:54 PM
Had a fun weekend working on pens. Since I can only make a little over 2 pens a day before I have to stop working because of my arthritis. :( I only got 7 of the 15 pens done that Ken sent me for the Freedom Pen Project last week. Three are oak and four are cherry and I also made my first bottle stopper (for me :D ) today out of hard maple. This little mini Jet is sure addictive! I will be working on getting the rest of the pens done this week and then send them out.

Greg Wandless
03-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Finished the torsion box shelves I've been working on. Finally got a resonable color match to the desk with some dye stains, a couple coats of shellac, rubbed down with steel wool and a final coat of wax. LOML is very happy with the result and so am I.

Keith Starosta
03-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Greg,
How did you mount the torsion boxes to the wall? I'd like to get some more detail. Thanks!

Keith