PDA

View Full Version : Go 88

Scott Velie
02-09-2008, 2:38 PM
It is weird seeing JR in blue let alone with new numbers. Here is to a good season starting tonight.

Motor sports :
My #1 interrupter of shop time.

Bruce Page
02-09-2008, 4:10 PM
I think it's even stranger seeing the Bud red #9 car.

A safe season to all!

Robert McGowen
02-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Guess it started ok for Jr. tonight....... :D

Tim Wagner
02-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Would it be safe to say that Budwiser put the screws to Teresa?

Just goes to prove what decent equipment can do for JR.

I'll make my prediction now that JR, will be walking away with the Cup this year.:D:D;)

Bruce Page
02-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Would it be safe to say that Budwiser put the screws to Teresa?

Just goes to prove what decent equipment can do for JR.

I'll make my prediction now that JR, will be walking away with the Cup this year.:D:D;)
While some teams are struggling to find sponsorship this year, Hendrick has a full lineup. I think Earnhardt would have loved to take Budweiser with him but there was no room for them.
I don't know if Jr. will win the cup but he will be in the chase for sure!

Scott Velie
02-10-2008, 2:11 PM
Yes he had a great start last night. I think the best news is that the COT is a success. I saw cars recover from slides that would have put them in the wall with the old car. All the drivers have had positive comments about the cars. When is the last time they agreed on anything?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2008, 2:23 PM
For sentimental reasons, I 've become a JR fan. I managed to watch the last 10 minutes of the race last night. He sure looked good.

I wonder .....does anybody remember how many DNFs he had last year due to engine or other failures. It seemed to me he had more than his share.

John Hixon
02-10-2008, 2:28 PM
What bugged me the most was every time I saw Budweiser on the hood from the in car camera, I would think we were with Jr.

Then there is trying to keep track of the cars on the track. So much to adapt to. I might just quit watching NASCAR.;)

Bruce Page
02-10-2008, 3:06 PM
For sentimental reasons, I 've become a JR fan. I managed to watch the last 10 minutes of the race last night. He sure looked good.

I wonder .....does anybody remember how many DNFs he had last year due to engine or other failures. It seemed to me he had more than his share.

Ken, he had 6 DNF's due to engine failure and 1 because the wheel axel came apart. :eek:
Now was he getting second class equipment because of his feud with his stepmother, slash car owner?..... Nah, of course not… :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Brian Elfert
02-10-2008, 8:43 PM
Ken, he had 6 DNF's due to engine failure and 1 because the wheel axel came apart. :eek:
Now was he getting second class equipment because of his feud with his stepmother, slash car owner?..... Nah, of course not… :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It wasn't only JR at DEI who was blowing engines so I don't think anyone was sabotaging him.

I find it hard to believe a car owner would sabotage a driver since sponsors want that car out on the track as much as possible.

Bruce Page
02-10-2008, 9:03 PM
It wasn't only JR at DEI who was blowing engines so I don't think anyone was sabotaging him.

I find it hard to believe a car owner would sabotage a driver since sponsors want that car out on the track as much as possible.
Of course I'm not privy to the inner workings of DEI but here are the numbers;
Dale Earnhart Jr. in the 8 car had 6
Martin Truex Jr. in the 1 car had 3.
Paul Menard in the 15 car had 1.
In 2006 Earnhardt had 2.

Tim Wagner
02-10-2008, 9:59 PM
I might just quit watching NASCAR.;)

Yea, and I'll quite having sex too.....NOT!

:D:D

Greg Cole
02-11-2008, 11:17 AM
It is weird seeing JR in blue let alone with new numbers. Here is to a good season starting tonight.

I'll let you guys all know JR's colors look when I get to Datona Beach Thursday..... arriving for the twin 150's and the "superbowl of stock car racing" on Sunday. Yes, I believe I will have a good weekend coming up :D.
FYI, one of the 6 blown engines JR took 100% blame on as he was using the engine to help slow the car at Sears Point IIRC (yes, I know it's not officially Sears Point anymore, then again I simply call it Cup Racing now the phone sponsor names are umm...LAME :D). The other 5 were a shame, the kid drove consistently harder that end of last year that he has to date.... and a couple of those were due to the combination of DEI & RCR motor shops. JR was using some power plants that the others weren't, not sure who's choice that was. All moot now anyway..... speedweeks are in full swing and I'm on the way!

Greg

Jim Becker
02-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Had I not saw the article on the front page of USA-Today about said #88, I wouldn't have had a clue what this thread was about! LOL

JayStPeter
02-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Motor sports :
My #1 interrupter of shop time.

I have to admit, mine too. Not necessarily NASCAR, but when racing season comes along shop time diminishes. The Rolex race was a real weekend killer :cool:.

Bruce Page
02-11-2008, 3:03 PM
Had I not saw the article on the front page of USA-Today about said #88, I wouldn't have had a clue what this thread was about! LOL

Jim, you live such a sheltered life...:p

Greg, have a blast at Daytona, I’d love to see that race someday.
I agree that the collaboration between RCR & DEI engine shops played into the failures but it did seem like Jr’s ride became the unofficial developmental guinea pig.
My comments about stepmom were mostly tongue in cheek.

Greg Cole
02-11-2008, 3:40 PM
Hey Bruce,
I'll be sure to have a BLAST. Hooking up with some old friends to go with & haven't seen them in awhile... few days of debauchery in the sun oh yeah, racings version of the Super Bowl.
I've been to a few Nascar Races & these tix were a gift from my wife for Christmas.:D I've got my eye on either the Richmond night race or Bristol (yeah I can dream...) night race... actually have a small fund started for the Bristol race as those suckers are $$$.
You can bash Theresa all you want, I've opined my thoughts to her but no need here... family forum and all.
Guinea Pig, that mean letting valve stems out of tailpipes???
And I'd hope Norm errr Jim would at least know JR's face...?:p
I've never been a fan of the 24 or 48, but yesterday my 6 year old boy was trying to tell me "Jeff Gordon is OK now... He's JR's team-mate" etc etc.... last year the boy always called him "farty pants Gordon".

Greg

Terre Hooks
02-12-2008, 3:02 PM
Hey Bruce,
I've got my eye on either the Richmond night race or Bristol (yeah I can dream...) night race... actually have a small fund started for the Bristol race as those suckers are $$$.

Greg

Not so pricey anymore. Last I heard the tickets for the night race at Bristol could be had for less than $200 each. That's a far cry from the hay-day of +$400 each back before money screwed up Nascar.

And there are two night races at Richmond.

Greg Cole
02-12-2008, 4:25 PM
Terre,
Not bad IMO... last time I looked into it for 4 of us with a camper, camp site, consumables (ie beer...:rolleyes:) and race tickets etc.... it was NUTS.
Best part of this trip is... free race tickets (although the wife paid for them :D), free lodging (staying with friends) and free air travel (expense account :D:D:D).
So, the budget for consumables is substancial (even having to take the kid to see the famous Mouse and well know Orca's).

Cheers.

Tim Wagner
02-13-2008, 1:25 AM
I'll let you guys all know JR's colors look when I get to Datona Beach Thursday..... arriving for the twin 150's and the "superbowl of stock car racing" on Sunday. Yes, I believe I will have a good weekend coming up :D.
FYI, one of the 6 blown engines JR took 100% blame on as he was using the engine to help slow the car at Sears Point IIRC (yes, I know it's not officially Sears Point anymore, then again I simply call it Cup Racing now the phone sponsor names are umm...LAME :D). The other 5 were a shame, the kid drove consistently harder that end of last year that he has to date.... and a couple of those were due to the combination of DEI & RCR motor shops. JR was using some power plants that the others weren't, not sure who's choice that was. All moot now anyway..... speedweeks are in full swing and I'm on the way!

Greg

You gonna stop by and get me ain't ya???

Greg Cole
02-13-2008, 8:44 AM
Tim,
I'll see if I can get the pilot to re-route the direct flight from KC to FLA to swiing thru Ohio on the way... ;)

Cheers. It's my Friday for a 7 day weekend.....:D

Greg