PDA

View Full Version : What to do with thousands of wood dowels?

robert king
03-08-2004, 1:50 AM
This can be great fun. I have recently acquired thousands of wood dowels. They come in two sizes: 3/4 in. by 8 in. and 1 1/8 in. by 11 in. I am a hobbyist with a well equipped shop and want to make items to sell, hopefully wholesale. The profits will benefit a volunteer group that helps local children. I prefer that the items are easy to make and do not require too many additional materials. Do you have any ideas of what to make or how to sell the products?
Let's see who can be most creative! Toys? Household items? Office supplies? Start a new Fad?

Michael Ballent
03-08-2004, 4:12 AM
How about whistles? or make them into lincoln logs

-Michael

Tyler Howell
03-08-2004, 6:55 AM
After a bunch of coat racks, FP and bench dawgs how about A really big fire.;)
Robert, I'm stumped. I always need some but I can't think of anything in mass quantities for that size. Any fancy hardwoods?

Todd Burch
03-08-2004, 8:58 AM
The 1 1/8" dowels could be used to make smaller ladders. Have you ever seen an apple tree ladder? A cutoff saw and a forstner bit are the most complicated tools needed.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-08-2004, 8:59 AM
Log home birdhouses for one thing. I made a few for XMAS gifts from aromatic cedar a couple of years ago....very popular!

Chris Padilla
03-08-2004, 1:10 PM
It either WOOD or American Woodworker that had a few pages about puzzles. One was from dowels that looked impossible to take apart much less put back together. If I can remember (and I ususally don't...PM me), I will flip through them and find the issue for you.

Bill Pentz
03-08-2004, 1:57 PM
You can make really nice wine racks. Mine uses 10" long 1x1s with four holes on each end. I put the holes into the angles instead of the flats. the holes hold 4" long dowels. You can "Tinker Toy" a wine rack of any size you want making it permanent with just a little yellow glue.

George Summers
03-08-2004, 2:12 PM
You can make really nice wine racks. Mine uses 10" long 1x1s with four holes on each end. I put the holes into the angles instead of the flats. the holes hold 4" long dowels. You can "Tinker Toy" a wine rack of any size you want making it permanent with just a little yellow glue.

Bill -

You got pictures of your racks?

George

Bill Pentz
03-09-2004, 11:59 AM
George,

I saw this design in a store and wanted something quick and easy, so copied it. Although no show piece, it is very functional and simple.

bill

Dowel Wine Rack (http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/winerack/winerack.jpg)

robert king
03-10-2004, 2:36 AM
Thanks so much for those who have responded. So far ideas that I can use are lincoln logs, tinker toys, birdhouses, log cabins, whistles, bottle rack, puzzle, small picture frame, and wooden bowl using the dowels as the stretchers. Keep coming up with other great ideas.