PDA

View Full Version : Vari-Grind

Tom Bucanan
02-09-2008, 11:24 AM
I just got the Vari-Grind system and I have the v-arm set-up. I also got an David Ellisworth Signature Bowl Gouge. How do I use the system to create a consistent ellisworth grind? How far should the v-arm extend? How much of the tool should be in the grinding jig? ....
Any help would be appreciated

Chuck Hayes
02-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Tom;

There are some decent videos on the oneway site about the jig and how to use it. Don't know if you have seen these yet, but if not, give them a look-see, they helped me out quite a bit.

http://www.oneway.ca/multi-media/wolverine_videos.htm

Bill Bolen
02-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I read somewhere that a tool protrusion of 2 1/2" from the front of the jig or slightly more is right for the ellsworth. When I set my grinder up for my ellsworth I colored the bevel with black majic marker and hand turned the wheel till I had a consistant gring all the way around. Took many many adjustments at this stage to get that constant grind but after finishing with it I marked the jig. Now it only takes a half minute to load the tool, set the jig and start grinding. Every jig setup is a bit different and will give different results. Try the bevel coloring method and you will succeed....Bill...

Doug Thompson
02-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I think Ellsworth extends the tool 2 inch out from his jig, the Vari-grind will do the same thing. You need to figure the leg setting on the Vari-Grind to match, the nose angle is 60 degrees.

Go to my site and download the sharpening guide to get an idea where the jig should be set. This is NOT the leg setting for the Ellsworth grind but it's close. This IS the leg setting for the old Glaser fingernail grind.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/sharpening.asp

Bill Noce
02-09-2008, 1:19 PM
David Ellsworth's Grind is 2-4-7... the gouge extends 2" out of the vari jig...........the slide is set 7" from the grinding wheel face.....the 4" is for using his jig which is 4" down from the center of the grinding wheel but you can make a block of wood to raise the wolverine pocket to this measurement which I seen David use at two demo's at our club years ago. Check his web site for these facts on grinding his gouge.

robert hainstock
02-10-2008, 4:33 PM
Steve Schlumpf And I set my grinder up a few weeks ago, and came up with 2 1/4 in for the extension. The other factor is thg angle of the leg. I cost me near 1/4in of tool to get it right , but like Steve says "those things come too long anyway. Good luck with it! :(
Bob

Tom Bucanan
02-10-2008, 7:51 PM
Thanks for all the help. I think I finally got it after messing around for a while.