PDA

View Full Version : My first custom tool handle - Drawbore pin

Randy Klein
02-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Following Chris Schwarz's advice, I bought the "drawbore pins" from sears and made a handle for the smaller one. But instead of a tapered octagon that he suggested, I went with a tapered oval instead.

It turned out alright. But when I make the bigger one though, I'll do with even more oval than this one.

Terry Bigelow
02-09-2008, 12:43 PM
What are Sears drawbore pins? I know how to drawbore and read the article but I missed the part about buying the pins at Sears. Where are they at Sears? I take it they're not labled as "drawbore pins"!

Randy Klein
02-09-2008, 1:01 PM
What are Sears drawbore pins? I know how to drawbore and read the article but I missed the part about buying the pins at Sears. Where are they at Sears? I take it they're not labled as "drawbore pins"!

He has several articles on it, so I forget which one he mentions it in. But here's the link (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00930130000P?keyword=alignment+pins) to the actual item.

Note, its only the two alignment pins you use. The punches are extra I guess...

Pam Niedermayer
02-09-2008, 1:45 PM
Those aren't drawbore pins. Chris used them to make his approximation of drawbore pins, but they are circular. Drawbore pins are eccentrically oval such that as you turn them they advance to a larger size in very tiny steps.

Nice handle.

Pam

Randy Klein
02-09-2008, 2:12 PM
Those aren't drawbore pins. Chris used them to make his approximation of drawbore pins, but they are circular. Drawbore pins are eccentrically oval such that as you turn them they advance to a larger size in very tiny steps.

Nice handle.

Pam

Funny you mention that. I always thought that would be a better design too. But Chris just had a blog (http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Eccentric+Not+So+Eccentric.aspx)about this.

Terry Bigelow
02-10-2008, 9:57 AM
Thanks for the link(s). Seems you might have opened a can of worms.

Mike Steinhilper
03-12-2008, 9:53 AM
can someone clarify this for me? i was under the impression, after reading about drawboring in Chris's book, that the pins were used simply to draw up the tenoned piece to align the holes. is that wrong? i was just going to use a screwdriver.

Randy Klein
03-12-2008, 9:59 AM
No, thats right. But they do it by having a taper. So as you push the pins down the taper starts to pull the tenon in. If you use a screw driver, which I assume is not tapered, you would have to lever it back to draw the tenon in. That levering may damage the fibers on your piece.

Mike Steinhilper
03-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Ok, that makes sense. I'll try a nailpunch first maybe.