PDA

View Full Version : A New Adventure!

Jeff Gilchrist
02-09-2008, 10:00 AM
First I want to thank Joe for lending me his settings to raster/vector thin wood. As always a valued resource of knowledge.

Now, a little bit about me. I am in the process of starting my own business....don't worry, I won't quit my day job just yet. As a matter of fact my day job is working with 2 epilog 45 watt CO2's and 2 Mecco 20 watt Fiber laser's in the UID field. I am also retired from the Army so I have that income as well. My wife currently works which is why I want to start this business. As I'm sure you have deduced by now we are not 25 yrs old anymore and my wife is working in a very physically demanding environment. To make a long story short, I want to get her away from that and I think she is ready as well.

I have been lurking around here for about a year now and am very impressed with the "family like" atmosphere that y'all have created. I have read many posts and replies about starting up a new business and will heed the advice. I don't want this thread to turn into another "advice on starting a business" thread, that was not my intent. I just wanted to come forward and introduce myself.

I am still looking for a good used 75 watt, large bed, american made CO2, if anyone knows where there's one available please let me know.

Here is the business card that I created with Joe's help; made from 1/32 basswood sheet. Whaddya think?

Mike Null
02-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Jeff

Glad to have you on board.

This fellow is a member so you might give him a call.

http://www.usedlasers.com/

Barb Macdonald
02-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I think in a past life I was a Queen of a Spelling Bee.
You spelled "You're" wrong. (If you don't see what you're looking for....)
You are = You're
Your = a possessive, i.e Your Mom isn't as pretty as my Mom.
Just trying to keep the English Language alive:)
The cards look great, but nothing will put off clients like bad spelling. I should have been an editor!!!
Unless, of course, they can't spell either. And lots of peoples can't these days, although not generally from my generation.
I had a client send a request for signs with halles. (That would be holes)
Have a great day, and best of luck!! You're very kind to want to slow your wife down.
I wish I could speed my husband up:)

best
Barb

Frank Corker
02-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I noticed the sperring errot too. Cards look good but your lettering is too close to the edge. The burning is affecting the writing, but the idea is pleasing.

Barbara, keep away from using more than one exclamation mark.

;)

Jeff Gilchrist
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
[quote=Barb Macdonald;770223]You spelled "You're" wrong. (If you don't see what you're looking for....)

Thanks Barb, I'm usually good with spelling. Thanks for the catch, you saved me some embarrasment with prospective customers. Good thing that I only produced 10 so far.

Jeff

Jeff Gilchrist
02-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Frank - Thats what I was thinking also and the fact that I forgot to use the vector grid when cutting did'nt help either. Rookie mistake!

Frank Corker
02-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Happens to us all Jeff.

AL Ursich
02-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Where is the best source of wooden cards.... With only 20 watts I would go for the pre cut cards for now. I know Laser Bits has them, anyone else like another supplier?

It's snowing here and I know some construction guys are sitting home thinking of how they could better make themselves stand out better in the coming building season.... What better way than a wooden business card.... Plus all the Home Shows this time of year....

Thanks,

AL

Richard Rumancik
02-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Good start Jeff.

I suggest that you try a piece of birch plywood (can be as thin as 1/64" which is 3-ply although for 2-sided you need to go to 1/32") and compare your results. It is sold in hobby stores often in 12 x 24 sheets.

I like plywood because it tends to turn blacker when engraved (probably due to the adhesive). You might consider a font on the back that has a thinner line width - at least, that's what my eyes tell me.

Phyllis Meyer
02-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Welcome to the family! You will find great folks here, excellent information, and if you have a question, you will get an answer. This site is by far the best for laser engraving.

The advice about the cards as you see is in a loving way (that's what family does). Don't feel bad...my first wooden cards said: "From The Beautiful Northwoods Northwoods of Wisconsin". We still laugh about it:D

Looking forward to having you on the forum! Have your wife join in on reading and corresponding, this is my full time job and I love it!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Ray Mighells
02-09-2008, 2:36 PM
Welcome Jeff, and good luck on your new adventure venture. On a standard size card ( 3.5 x 2) I like to keep a .25" margin all around, and a little less radius on the corners. Just enough to relieve the sharp points.

Barb Macdonald
02-09-2008, 6:19 PM
I'd never comment on a layout. I have zero artistic talent. That's why we hired an artist! Thank goodness for them. Although I did think the exact same thing when I looked at it. Not enough space around the outside. I still make stuff too big for space allowed, and I sent out 500+ Fliers with the word suspended spelled "supended". Yes, folks a new way to hang signs. You supend them:o:o
(Sorry Frank, I was VERY embarassed)
Here's a grammar question for you.
Which is correct?
"Today's Stock Quote" or
"Todays' Stock Quote"

I still think I was right, but I'll wait for confirmation. The customer was wrong, but they're always right!
Gotta go
best
Barb

John Hixon
02-09-2008, 6:31 PM
It might be Todays' stock quote if Today was plural, which seems highly unlikely.
Or maybe they knew someone named Todays.

Chad Voller
02-09-2008, 6:37 PM
I agree with Frank on text is too close to the edges on the backside. Give yourself a margin to work with. And usually visually, the bottom margin might be larger than the top. This usually adds more appeal. Do a few variations, move things around. Laser them all out, lay them all out together, and ask a few people which one sticks out the most to them.

I'd also suggest, if that font family has a little more petite version, for the backside of the card. It seems just a little too crowded, or chubby. Not sure how to describe it. It's readable, but I have to kinda do a double take to adjust my eyes to it.

Other than that, I love it. Especially the E3 on the front. Very clever. Reminds me of the Electronics Entertainment Expo.

And I'm no English expert, heck, my vocabulary is probably 80 words. But I believe it is "Today's Stock Quote". Its ownership, not really, but the stock quote belongs to today, so hence, Today's. Like John said, Todays' is plural. And there is only more than one today if you count alternate universes.

Frank Corker
02-10-2008, 7:40 AM
Did you know that there are quite a few sites dedicated to the use of the apostrophe?

See these;-
http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/examples_3.htm
http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/examples_4.htm
Possessives

Where one or more objects are owned by a subject, that subject usually takes an apostrophe followed by an s.

Jane’s dog is having Neuticles (tm) (http://www.neuticles.com/) fitted in one week’s time.If the subject is plural, the apostrophe comes after the complete word.

The boys’ paddling pool needs cleaning. I’ll do it in three weeks’ time.If the plural subject doesn’t end in an s, one is added after the apostrophe.

The children’s school is within walking distance.An easy way to remember the above rules is to reorder the sentence to eliminate the apostrophe: “the possession of the possessor”. For example: “in the time of one week” but “in the time of three weeks”—the apostrophe comes after the possessor.
If the subject is a personal pronoun (him, her, it, you, me, them), no apostrophe is used. Example:

My car is broken—its cylinder head is cracked.
The repairman turned up in his van and asked, “Is that yours?”
“Yes, it is mine“, I replied in my best Devon accent.The only other situation is when a singular subject ends in s or an s-sound—we add an apostrophe, but do we add an extra s or not? The informal rule is to use whatever is most convenient when spoken.

Jesus’ ministry lasted just three years.
My conscience’ naggings prevented me from robbing the bank.
Les’s house has a red door.Plurals

Never use an apostrophe to form a plural. As the Quick Guide suggests, it is common opinion that words ending in vowels take an apostrophe when plural. This is wrong.
I have seen “photo’s” recently—it could be argued that this is a contraction of photographs, but only if you write the singular form with the apostrophe also: photo’.
Some such words take -es rather than -s (potato goes to potatoes), but never take an apostrophe. I’ve seen “box’s” and even “bus’es” in the wild…

potatoes, cats, buses, boxes etc.Neither is it correct to use an apostrophe with plural abbreviations, which do not even use full-stops (periods) between letters these days.

CDs, ICBMs, PCs, VCRs etc.Stan Brown points out (amongst other useful comments on this page) that a possible exception is the plural of a lower-case letter, as in “How many s’s in Mississippi?”.
Contractions

The other place the apostrophe is used is in contractions. There are numerous common contractions, sometimes with little logic or pattern behind them: won’t (will not), haven’t (have not), I’ll (I will), it’s (it is or it has) and the cornucopia of nautical terms: sou’wester (south-wester(ly): a windproof jacket), cat o’ (of) nine tails (a whip) and the legendary fo’c’s’le (forecastle).
Occasionally, the apostrophe appears at the beginning of the word (’cello is short for violoncello), or even at both ends (as in fish ’n’ chips).
…and to help those that can’t spell to find this page, apostraphe.
So there you go—a complete set of rules about apostrophes. No more excuses for getting it wrong, you illiterate morons. Oops…

Larry Bratton
02-10-2008, 8:40 AM
You are = You're
The cards look great, but nothing will put off clients like bad spelling. I should have been an editor!!!
Unless, of course, they can't spell either. And lots of peoples can't these days, although not generally from my generation.
Have a great day, and best of luck!! You're very kind to want to slow your wife down.

best
Barb
Good grammar is important too. Lots of PEOPLES are turned off by bad.:)

Frank Corker
02-10-2008, 9:25 AM
Good grammar is important too. Lots of PEOPLES are turned off by bad.:)

Tut tut Larry. Shame on you, I is sure you could do much gooder!

Bill Morrison
02-10-2008, 9:37 AM
I am sure it's "Today's" but just because I'm sure doesn't mean I'm right.
Bill

Jack Harper
02-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Tune in tomorrow for "Dangling Participles" or is it participle's or participles'...oh man, now I have to go back and read this whole thread over again. Maybe if I take notes this time.

James Jaragosky
02-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Tune in tomorrow for "Dangling Participles" or is it participle's or participles'...oh man, now I have to go back and read this whole thread over again. Maybe if I take notes this time.
I just read the original post again. and it occurs to me that somehow this thread has lost its way. After reading Franks post my head hurts, and I am once again reminded of just how much I did not pay attention in school.
I think I will go watch MY Fair Lady to regain my prospective on the English language.
jim

Chad Voller
02-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately the rules for the English language keep changing, and to make matters worse, that's the side of the brain I don't use very often. An example is where commas belong. I remember there was an option to use a comma before 'and' or 'but'. It could be used like...

'My cat is old, lazy and smelly.'

But now, according to the rules that I learned in college, that is wrong. It is required, not an option, to have a comma before the 'and', like so....

'My cat is old, lazy, and smelly.'

To me it looks crazy because that's not how I learned it in grade school, but you can't argue with an English teacher with a PhD.

Anyway, back to the business cards.....

Frank Corker
02-10-2008, 2:33 PM
Ah, the comma

The comma is a valuable, useful punctuation device because it separates the structural elements of sentences into manageable segments. The rules provided here are those found in traditional handbooks; however, in certain rhetorical contexts and for specific purposes, these rules may be broken.
1. Use commas to separate independent clauses when they are joined by any of these seven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet.

The game was over, but the crowd refused to leave.
The student explained her question, yet the instructor still didn't seem to understand.
Yesterday was her brother's birthday, so she took him out to dinner.2. Use commas after introductory a) clauses, b) phrases, or c) words that come before the main clause.

a. Common starter words (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_commaint.html) for introductory clauses that should be followed by a comma include after, although, as, because, if, since, when, while.
While I was eating, the cat scratched at the door.
Because her alarm clock was broken, she was late for class.
If you are ill, you ought to see a doctor.
When the snow stops falling, we'll shovel the driveway.
However, don't put a comma after the main clause when a dependent (subordinate) clause follows it (except for cases of extreme contrast).

1. She was late for class, because her alarm clock was broken. (incorrect)
2. The cat scratched at the door, while I was eating. (incorrect)
3. She was still quite upset, although she had won the Oscar. (correct: extreme contrast)
b. Common introductory phrases (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_commaint.html) that should be followed by a comma include participial and infinitive phrases (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_verbals.html), absolute phrases, nonessential appositive phrases (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_appos.html), and long prepositional phrases (over four words).

Having finished the test, he left the room.
To get a seat, you'd better come early.
After the test but before lunch, I went jogging.
The sun radiating intense heat, we sought shelter in the cafe.
c. Common introductory words (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_commaint.html) that should be followed by a comma include yes, however, well.

Well, perhaps he meant no harm.
Yes, the package should arrive tomorrow morning.
However, you may not be satisfied with the results.
3. Use a pair of commas in the middle of a sentence to set off clauses, phrases, and words that are not essential to the meaning of the sentence. Use one comma before to indicate the beginning of the pause and one at the end to indicate the end of the pause.
Here are some clues to help you decide whether the sentence element is essential:

If you leave out the clause, phrase, or word, does the sentence still make sense?
Does the clause, phrase, or word interrupt the flow of words in the original sentence?
If you move the element to a different position in the sentence, does the sentence still make sense?If you answer "yes" to one or more of these questions, then the element in question is nonessential and should be set off with commas. Here are some example sentences with nonessential elements:

Clause: That Tuesday, which happens to be my birthday, is the only day when I am available to meet.
Phrase: This restaurant has an exciting atmosphere. The food, on the other hand, is rather bland.
Word: I appreciate your hard work. In this case, however, you seem to have over-exerted yourself.4. Do not use commas to set off essential elements of the sentence, such as clauses beginning with that (relative clauses). That clauses after nouns are always essential. That clauses following a verb expressing mental action are always essential.
That clauses after nouns:

The book that I borrowed from you is excellent.
The apples that fell out of the basket are bruised.That clauses following a verb expressing mental action:

She believes that she will be able to earn an A.
He is dreaming that he can fly.
I contend that it was wrong to mislead her.
They wished that warm weather would finally arrive.Examples of other essential elements (no commas):

Students who cheat only harm themselves.
The baby wearing a yellow jumpsuit is my niece.
The candidate who had the least money lost the election.Examples of nonessential elements (set off by commas):

Fred, who often cheats, is just harming himself.
My niece, wearing a yellow jumpsuit, is playing in the living room.
The Green party candidate, who had the least money, lost the election.
Apples, which are my favorite fruit, are the main ingredient in this recipe.
Professor Benson, grinning from ear to ear, announced that the exam would be tomorrow.
Tom, the captain of the team, was injured in the game.
It is up to you, Jane, to finish.
She was, however, too tired to make the trip.
Two hundred dollars, I think, is sufficient.5. Use commas to separate three or more words, phrases, or clauses written in a series.

The Constitution establishes the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of government.
The candidate promised to lower taxes, protect the environment, reduce crime, and end unemployment.
The prosecutor argued that the defendant, who was at the scene of the crime, who had a strong revenge motive, and who had access to the murder weapon, was guilty of homicide.6. Use commas to separate two or more coordinate adjectives that describe the same noun. Be sure never to add an extra comma between the final adjective and the noun itself or to use commas with non-coordinate adjectives.
Coordinate adjectives are adjectives with equal ("co"-ordinate) status in describing the noun; neither adjective is subordinate to the other. You can decide if two adjectives in a row are coordinate by asking the following questions:

Does the sentence make sense if the adjectives are written in reverse order?
Does the sentence make sense if the adjectives are written with and between them?If you answer yes to these questions, then the adjectives are coordinate and should be separated by a comma. Here are some examples of coordinate and non-coordinate adjectives:

He was a difficult, stubborn child. (coordinate)
They lived in a white frame house. (non-coordinate)
She often wore a gray wool shawl. (non-coordinate)
Your cousin has an easy, happy smile. (coordinate)
The 1) relentless, 2) powerful 3) summer sun beat down on them. (1-2 are coordinate; 2-3 are non-coordinate.)
The 1) relentless, 2) powerful, 3) oppressive sun beat down on them. (Both 1-2 and 2-3 are coordinate.)7. Use a comma near the end of a sentence to separate contrasted coordinate elements or to indicate a distinct pause or shift.

He was merely ignorant, not stupid.
The chimpanzee seemed reflective, almost human.
You're one of the senator's close friends, aren't you?
The speaker seemed innocent, even gullible.8. Use commas to set off phrases at the end of the sentence that refer back to the beginning or middle of the sentence. Such phrases are free modifiers that can be placed anywhere in the sentence without causing confusion. (If the placement of the modifier causes confusion, then it is not "free" and must remain "bound" to the word it modifies.)

1. Nancy waved enthusiastically at the docking ship, laughing joyously. (correct)
2a. Lisa waved at Nancy, laughing joyously. (incorrect: Who is laughing, Lisa or Nancy?)
2b. Laughing joyously, Lisa waved at Nancy. (correct)
2c. Lisa waved at Nancy, who was laughing joyously. (correct)9. Use commas to set off all geographical names, items in dates (except the month and day), addresses (except the street number and name), and titles in names.

Birmingham, Alabama, gets its name from Birmingham, England.
July 22, 1959, was a momentous day in his life.
Who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC?
Rachel B. Lake, MD, will be the principal speaker. (When you use just the month and the year, no comma is necessary after the month or year: "The average temperatures for July 1998 are the highest on record for that month.")
10. Use a comma to shift between the main discourse and a quotation.

John said without emotion, "I'll see you tomorrow."
"I was able," she answered, "to complete the assignment."
In 1848, Marx wrote, "Workers of the world, unite!"11. Use commas wherever necessary to prevent possible confusion or misreading.

To George, Harrison had been a sort of idol.Comma Abuse

Commas in the wrong places can break a sentence into illogical segments or confuse readers with unnecessary and unexpected pauses.
12. Don't use a comma to separate the subject from the verb.

An eighteen-year old in California, is now considered an adult. (incorrect)
The most important attribute of a ball player, is quick reflex actions. (incorrect)13. Don't put a comma between the two verbs or verb phrases in a compound predicate.

We laid out our music and snacks, and began to study. (incorrect)
I turned the corner, and ran smack into a patrol car. (incorrect)14. Don't put a comma between the two nouns, noun phrases, or noun clauses in a compound subject or compound object.

The music teacher from your high school, and the football coach from mine are married. (incorrect: compound subject)
Jeff told me that the job was still available, and that the manager wanted to interview me. (incorrect: compound object)
15. Don't put a comma after the main clause when a dependent (subordinate) clause follows it (except for cases of extreme contrast).

1. She was late for class, because her alarm clock was broken. (incorrect)
2. The cat scratched at the door, while I was eating. (incorrect)
3. She was still quite upset, although she had won the Oscar. (correct: extreme contrast)

Bill Cunningham
02-10-2008, 2:36 PM
A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped
to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer
be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained
would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2
might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the
same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with
"i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.
Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear
with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12
or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.
Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi
ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz
ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.
Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud
hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

I rest my Case

Mark Winlund
02-10-2008, 3:20 PM
How about not capitalizing "queen" and "spelling"?

Mark

Jude Kingery
02-10-2008, 3:32 PM
Barb,

Yes, I can relate (as an English major) and even so, I always had people proof read my work, because sure, we read it as we think we wrote it and sometimes easily miss our own errors, certainly including myself.

Oh and yep, bet you are correct. It's Todays' - possessive. The Stock Quote belongs to Today, so Todays' is the correct way to punctuate that. Other wise if it is written as: Today's - contraction - it would then be, literally: "Today Is Stock Quote."

I so enjoy the site and the friendly exchange and invaluable information here. Thanks to all and have a good Sunday afternoon! Jude

Mike Null
02-10-2008, 4:07 PM
So then Barb's Stock Quote is actually Barb is Stock Quote?

Dave Lyda
02-10-2008, 5:27 PM
My head hurts after reading all this. It is good stuff though. I do have a question... is there two different spellings for aluminum that I'm not aware of?

Vicky Orsini
02-10-2008, 5:49 PM
Oh and yep, bet you are correct. It's Todays' - possessive. The Stock Quote belongs to Today, so Todays' is the correct way to punctuate that. Other wise if it is written as: Today's - contraction - it would then be, literally: "Today Is Stock Quote."
Actually, that's not correct.

Todays' = belonging to many todays.
Today's = belonging to today or today is.

It's the same as saying "the dog's toys" versus "the dogs' toys". The first would refer to the toys belonging to one dog, while the second would refer to the toys belonging to several dogs.

:)

Vicky Orsini
02-10-2008, 5:51 PM
I do have a question... is there two different spellings for aluminum that I'm not aware of?
If I'm not mistaken, "aluminum" is the American version, "aluminium" is the Canadian/British way of spelling it.

Micheal Donnellan
02-10-2008, 7:57 PM
yes aluminium is the correct way to spell it

Frank Corker
02-10-2008, 8:36 PM
yes aluminium is the correct way to spell it

Nice one Michael. Just for my thoughts on the stock quote thing, I wouldn't have put the apostrophe in there at all.

Barb Macdonald
02-10-2008, 9:39 PM
That's one of my favourite all time words:) (My mothers' loving admonishment)
(I know, it isn't.) One of the reasons I flunked out in High School English, was because it just didn't seem that important. Plus the rules seemed to vary, depending on the teacher. You couldn't have a differing opinion in English, or you failed.
I liked the sciences, you were either right, or wrong. Now if only I'd done shop....
I personally plunk proper and improper punctuation non-perfunctorily. I feel it gives a sentence added vehemence!! Frank:)
And, if read according to the punctuation, typing can sound like talking. I can't do it on this forum, you guys are toooo smart for me, and I can't just relax and "yak" (Lucky YOU:).
Is there anything Frank doesn't know? Why isn't he running the UK?
I remember someone, I think it was Scott/Steve Shepherd, saying he felt like his IQ wasn't quite in the same league as some of the forum's members (very sincere apologies if it wasn't SS). Can I relate to that!
On this forum, my IQ usually feels about this Big.

FOR SALE
Anybody want to buy a chrome-plated engraved/black 10"x 12"x .25" thick plate, c/w a slot with a lovely "rubaline" rubber backer, for changing the little plastic poke-in numbers? Real cheep. (Cheap!) It reads "Todays' Stock Quote", with a well-known little Logo. Never mind, I can't part with it. The historical (hysterical) value alone is priceless, or at least until the scrap guy comes around again:)

Thanks for all the laughs:)
and apologies in advance, for when I (often) sound like a bloomin' twit
(I typed "peoples" on Purpose, and capitalized purpose on purpose)
Some words just sound better when they're typed:confused:

All the best
Barb

THE CREEK RULES
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE

Scott Shepherd
02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I remember someone, I think it was Scott/Steve Shepherd, saying he felt like his IQ wasn't quite in the same league as some of the forum's members (very sincere apologies if it wasn't SS).

Wasn't me Barb, I can't even spell IR :)

Frank Corker
02-11-2008, 7:42 AM
Is there anything Frank doesn't know? Why isn't he running the UK?

LOL - Are you crazy! What on earth would make you think I needed a full frontal labotomy?

Brian Robison
02-11-2008, 8:21 AM
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Hey, I know it's old, but I still like it.:p

Chad Voller
02-11-2008, 1:29 PM
Here's a little history for you ALUMINUM fans.

The metal originally obtained its name from the Latin word for alum, alumen. The name alumina was proposed by L. B. G. de Moreveau, in 1761 for the base in alum, which was positively shown in 1787 to be the oxide of a yet to be discovered metal. Finally, in 1807, Sir Humphrey Davy proposed that this still unknown metal be referred to as aluminum. This was then altered further to that of aluminium so to agree with the "ium" spelling that ended most of the elements. This is the spelling that is generally used throughout the world. That is, until the American Chemical Society in 1925 officially reverted the spelling back to aluminum, which is how it is normally spelled in the United States.

Strange how the US decided to revert the spelling backwards. Usually we change things against the wishes of the creator, like our Pledge of Allegiance. The creator never gave permission, in fact protested the changing of it. That didn't stop the racist and sexist politicians of those days from doing what they wanted.

Vicky Orsini
02-11-2008, 1:35 PM
Don't fret, Barb. ;) Grammar and spelling mean nothing on public forums and MSN Messenger. I'm just one of those "writer" types. Improper spelling does to me what a bad weld does to a welder or what an out-of-focus beam does to an engraver. :)

Lisa Walter
02-12-2008, 4:52 PM
You are = You're

best
Barb

I sometimes think it's a girl thing. Women seem to care more about spelling than men (in my opinion). My husband is awesome at math, but isn't the best speller :) To top it off he is PA Dutch and his grammar can be backwards and so frustrating! You know as wives we have to be mind readers....and then for him to say opposite of what he meant to say! HOLY COW! And when I do what he said (not what he meant to say) he'll say, "well you know what I meant!" AAGGHHH!!! It can be quite confusing around this house haha!

Sometimes my fingers get ahead of me when typing though and I make mistakes......I once emailed a friend I was "farting down the river" that day when I meant to tell her I was rafting down the river ;)

Lisa

Frank Corker
02-12-2008, 5:28 PM
["farting down the river" that day when I meant to tell her I was rafting down the river ;)
Lisa[/quote]

like a candle blowing in the wind? Sorry I meant did you run out of gas!

Ed Newbold
02-13-2008, 9:04 AM
Just trying to keep the English Language alive... nothing will put off clients like bad spelling. I should have been an editor! ... Right on, Barb! Nothing drives me crazier than having to read bad spelling or grammar! And now, in this day and age, you find bad spelling, grammar and syntax all over the place, especially in newspapers and magazines. Yuk!

Cheers,

Belinda Barfield
02-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Wow, I've got to find more time to get back in the Creek flow! I have really missed you guys (and gals). Yep, you can always depend on Larry to point out your typos, and Frank to be the source of all knowledge. I swear, if you want to know something just toss a line in the Creek and you'll always manage to get a bite.

Keep up the good work everyone, and Happy Valentine's Day!