PDA

View Full Version : Credenza Doors

Mike Sweeney
03-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am about to start a new project (a credenza) and have a question about the doors. Just a brief description of the project. The credenza is 60"W x 35"H x 21"D. The top will be made of stone (will go to some stone shops tomorrow). In the center is a column of 5 drawers. Each drawer is 7"H x 14"W. On each side of the drawers are doors that measure 35"H x 23"W.

I've attached a photo of a scale model that I built out of balsa. I built the model to determine if ratio of drawers to doors is correct (uses the golden rectangle) and I think I'm happy with it.

The question is about the doors. Hopefully, you can tell from the photo that the face of the doors are curved. The arch from the inside door edge to the outside door edge is about 4 inches. I have a pretty good idea as to how to build the rest of the credenza but the doors are a big challenge for me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to have this figured out before I get started but it doesn't always work out that way ;-))

Todd Burch
03-08-2004, 12:34 AM
Mike, what construction method do you prefer? Frame and panel or slab? (Your model would be slab). Do you have a veneer press? What wood will you be using?

Welcome to Saw Mill Creek!

Mike Sweeney
03-08-2004, 1:19 AM
Hi Todd,

Thanks for the welcome.....

I don't have a veneer press (I go crazy everytime I see David Marks use his....) but I plan on constructing most of the cabinet from plywood (birch?) covered with a veneer (haven't decided on the species yet). My wife seems to want something fairly exotic but I don't think she realizes the cost ;-))

By slab construction, do you mean glueing up blocks of wood and carving out the curve shape?

I was also considering bending wood by cutting slats and forming them across a curved frame. I am in the market for a bandsaw with 10-12" resaw capability but the saw I want is on backorder right now. If I were to cut 1/8" thick pieces that are about 10"W and ~25"L, I could bend those pieces across the curved frame and glue them up. The grain of the doors would be horizontal which is okay for this project. If I did this, would I glue up a stack of strips and then join those stacks together to form the 35" high door? Or do I lay these strips down with offsetting seams and glue the whole thing up at one time? Or is this the right approach at all????

Thanks,

Mike

Todd Burch
03-08-2004, 9:14 AM
Mike, I think you have it right with your idea to build up the door with thinner strips. I would do it all at once with overlapping seems, and even cross grain layers, just like how regular plywood is made. You'll essentially be making your own plywood in your curved form. I would use thinner ply though - about 3/32" to 1/16". The edges of the doors look like they radius a bit tighter, and that would be pretty tight for 1/8" to bend around. I would also try to incorporate a solid piece of wood along the hinge edge for mounting somehow.

Be sure to document your process and take pictures!