PDA

View Full Version : Quilted Maple Hallway Table

Roger Barga
03-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Here is a table I recently completed. The top is quilted maple and the base is African Cherry with an inlay strip. I finished the top following an article in FWW outlining how to pop the curl in figured maple. Basically, apply aniline dye, sand off, apply a contrasting coat of aniline dye, sand off again, and then finish (oil and/or shellac).

cheers,
roger

Joe Bourbois
03-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Very elegant, Roger! Well done. I love the inlay.

Tyler Howell
03-08-2004, 6:57 AM
Roger, words can't describe it. Too nice.;)

Mark Singer
03-08-2004, 8:02 AM
Roger,
Great looking table and great finish!

Dave Brandt
03-08-2004, 8:11 AM
Man, that's one beautiful table. The figure is outstanding and the delicate lines are perfect. Nicely done!

Jim Becker
03-08-2004, 8:28 AM
There are quite a few adjectives I can think of to put in front of "awesome" relative to this project...but youll have to fill in the blanks yourself. Nice job!

Todd Burch
03-08-2004, 8:43 AM
Nice choices of woods Roger! I like it!

Kent Cori
03-08-2004, 9:42 AM
Roger,

Wow!! That is a beutiful table. I really like how the dual analine dye treatment brought out the quilted grain. The tapered legs really set the top and skirt off nicely.

Mark Mazzo
03-08-2004, 9:58 AM
Roger,

The wood for the top is spectacular, and your finish makes it even more incredible! The design details and scale are also very pleasing. Great job!

-- Mark

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Roger
Very well executed!
Daniel :cool:

Scott Coffelt
03-08-2004, 10:38 AM
I just love figured woods, they really add to the piece.

Chris Oakley
03-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Roger, that looks great. How did you attach the top?

Jason Tuinstra
03-08-2004, 1:00 PM
Roger, great looking table! The quilt of that maple is fantastic. Nice job.

Chris Padilla
03-08-2004, 2:01 PM
Roger,

Gorgeous. I posted a "figured maple" gloat last week and now I'd like to hear more about the finish you did to pop the figure. I may not wish to pop it as much as you did but I can experiment and see. Any more details on your finishing technique you'd care to share? Where does one get aniline dyes?

Thanks! :D

Wolf Kiessling
03-08-2004, 2:39 PM
Here is a table I recently completed. The top is quilted maple and the base is African Cherry with an inlay strip. I finished the top following an article in FWW outlining how to pop the curl in figured maple. Basically, apply aniline dye, sand off, apply a contrasting coat of aniline dye, sand off again, and then finish (oil and/or shellac).

cheers,
roger

Can't say anything other than this piece left me awestruck. Great job.

Roger Barga
03-08-2004, 4:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Chris, you asked about the finishing technique. I pretty much followed an article in a back issue of Fine Woodworking (Jeff Jewitt, April 1999, Pop the Curl in Curly Maple). Here's what I recall from reading it:

1) sand the wood through 220;
2) mix a diluted batch of aniline dye with water, using only 1/5th
the amount of recommended dye. The resulting mixture looks
like a weak cup of tea. My first color was Early American Maple.
I found these dyes at Woodcraft, though Rockler carries them
as well.
3) wipe on a light coat of the dye on the wood and let it dry.
4) using 150/220 grit paper, lightly sand the piece so the dye only
remains in the open wood fibers.
5) mix up another batch of diluted aniline dye. This time I used a
light amber color. Again, apply the dye and let it dry overnight.
6) At this point you can leave it "as is" or sand it down a bit. I used
a card scraper to knock off some of the color and clean up the
surface a bit.
7) apply one or two coats of oil to pop the figure even more.
8) Let dry and apply a sealer coat - the article discusses using shellac
but I used a wipe on poly.

Good luck with your entertainment center.

John Shuk
03-08-2004, 5:25 PM
Very well executed is just the right way to put it. Very classy and absolutly appropriate. A timeless design. Thanks for sharing it.
John

Rick Lasita
03-08-2004, 5:37 PM
Roger, excellent work, the inlay is outstanding, and the finish is also beyond words. A fine piece of furniture. Rick

Bill Karow
03-08-2004, 6:38 PM
Here is a table I recently completed.

That's a beautiful design, and the combination of the inlay and figured grain finish is mind-boggling. Or as they'd say back home in Florida, that's slicker than deer guts on a doorknob :)

Thanks for sharing!

Bill

Matt Bridges
03-09-2004, 5:33 PM
That is absolutely beautiful!!

Matt

Waymon Campbell
03-09-2004, 7:05 PM
That's what I call a "jaw dropper". You see it and your are speechless. What an outstanding job...design, construction, and finish!

Tom Sweeney
03-09-2004, 9:28 PM
with all the other replies. amazing workmanship & man that top is gorgeous. Figured maple & cherry is my favorite wood combination.