PDA

View Full Version : Material ID?

Helen Cast
02-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Can anyone identify this material and if so, was it laser engraved or a rotary process? It is app. 3/8" thick with blue face, blue back and a white core. The texture is slightly pebbled and appears almost like EVA foam except it is actually as hard/dense as Corian. I came across many signs of this material at an indoor waterpark and it seems to hold up well. Thank you for any info.

Joe Pelonio
02-08-2008, 11:50 PM
By the rounded corners I'd guess rotary. There is a Rowmark material that's textured like that and comes in various thicknesses. Maybe the Textures 822-503

Mike Null
02-09-2008, 5:39 AM
I believe Joe is correct and the material must be rotary engraved and to a substantial depth.

Johnson Plastics carries it in 1/4 and 1/2 inch thicknesses. It called Heavyweight.

David Lavaneri
02-10-2008, 1:34 PM
Helen,

At an overall 3/8" thickness, it could be that the blue material is actually a thinner piece of engraving stock (1/16"?) adhered to a thicker piece of material.

Judging by the upper-inner part of the engraved letter "N", I'd say the material was rotary engraved with a dull cutter, because the oblique turn in the letter shows the "tip" of that area is broken off.

That also may say that instead of a flexible engraving stock, such as Rowmark textures, it could be a piece phenolic with a textured surface, which is much more rigid and harder on cutters.

A dull cutter on flexible material probably wouldn't snap the corner of the "N" off like that.

It also looks like the corner ornamental element wasn't engraved deeply enough to break completely through the blue cap in some areas.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri