PDA

View Full Version : My First Pen!

Greg Cuetara
02-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Finally got my lathe all set up and turned my first pen. I know I still have a lot to learn but I think a pretty good start.

Please let me know what you think and what improvements I can make in the future. Hopefully I can only get better from here. I just used a simple wax finish, tried to keep it simple for my first pen.

I now see the vortex and it is pulling me in strong. I think I am doomed.

Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Greg.....Veryh nice first or 40th pen! Nicely done Sir.

And yes you are a goner.....take a picture of your money, frame the photo and place it on the wall near your lathe so you'll remember what it used to look like!

Nicely done Greg!

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Great looking pen. For a first yes you are off to a good start.

As Ken said take a picture of your money cause you won't have it long.:eek::cool:;):rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Wow - first pen and its segmented too! Nice work Greg! I still haven't tried a pen yet - maybe one of these days! Stick with it - it does get easier with time!

Jon Lanier
02-09-2008, 2:30 AM
You are off to a really good start. I've only done about 50 pens and realize I'll always be learning new things about pens. Keep it up and the more you'll learn by doing.

Tom Sherman
02-09-2008, 3:34 AM
Very nice Greg, first and segmented to boot. If that wasn't enough it's battery operated too.:D

robert hainstock
02-09-2008, 7:45 AM
Climb on in the waters fine. :D
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
02-09-2008, 2:14 PM
Really nice pen and segmented!

Just make sure the metal clip doesn't touch both of the contacts on the battery! You'll short it out, it'll heat up, and explode! Hmmm.... sounds like when I put a 9v in my pocket with keys.:eek:

Mike A. Smith
02-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Off to a great start there Greg! Keep those pictures coming!

Greg Cuetara
02-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the compliments.

As I understand pen kits there are only a few manufacturers out there. I have found the best prices to be from woodturingz.com. Is there a real difference in quality that I should be buying from one manufacturer over another and paying lots more. I am just starting this as a hobby right now so cost is an issue.

Thanks for the help and advice.