PDA

View Full Version : ShopFox Mortiser

Stan Smith
03-06-2003, 10:49 AM
I've been procrastinating about getting a benchtop mortiser and have tentatively decided on ShopFox and plan to add a sliding table. I would like to hear anyone's opinions who may have this setup. Thanks.

Stan

Bob Lasley
03-06-2003, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stan Smith
[B]I've been procrastinating about getting a benchtop mortiser and have tentatively decided on ShopFox and plan to add a sliding table. I would like to hear anyone's opinions who may have this setup. Thanks.

Stan,

I have the Shop Fox mortiser, but not the sliding table, though I do plan to add a cross sliding vise to it. As for the mortiser, so far so good. I like its capacity and it sets up easily. Also seems plenty stout. I'm still undecided if the high speed is the best route, but I do like the higher hp motor.

Bob

Von Bickley
03-06-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi Stan,
I have the Jet mortiser in my shop and it has worked fine for me. The ShopFox should work good for you to. Let us know when you get it.

Bill Esposito
03-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Stan,

I bought the Shop Fox mortiser last year. I was lucky enough to find a local True Value hardware store which carried it...and at a $181 price tag.

Never having used a mortiser before and only seeing Norm use his, I thought it would slice through oak like butter...after all, I never saw Norm break a sweat while using his Delta. Anyhow, when I first tried it with the included (and bent) 1/2" bit I was quite taken aback by how much force was required.

I've since bolted the machine to a bench (you must do this IMO) and bought some cheap Vulcan bits (Woodworkers Warehouse) and sharpened them utilizing Scary Sharp for the outside and Lee Valley cone shapers for the bevel and they now do indeed cut through oak pretty well.

Bottom line is I like the Shop Fox and would buy it again.

Howard Barlow
03-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Stan, here is a user report on the Shop Fox mortiser:
http://www.cjohnhebert.com/shopfoxmorticer.htm

George@Colonel's Workshop
03-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Good afternoon Stan,

I bought the Shop Fox several weeks ago, and have it permanently mounted on an obligated stand. During its initial project, it bacame obvious to me that I needed a cross sliding vise or a sliding table which would clamp the stock while the stock was being advanced through the chisel. I think it was Paul Jordan who provided pix and excellent advice of how his cross travel vise was set up--can't remember which forum--here or woodcental. He used a Grizzly #1064 which is $40 and depicted on page 168 of the 2003 Grizzly catalog. I ordered a similar vise and am awaiting delivery.

George

Stan Smith
03-09-2003, 2:39 PM
Many thanks for the info. I guess the first thing that I'll have to do is hone a sharp edge on those chisels. I did see C John.s review which I thought was very good and helpful. Now I have to find a mailorder place to buy one as they are not stocked in any store in this 1 horse town.

Bill Esposito
03-09-2003, 2:46 PM
http://internationaltool.com/shopfoxmortisingmachine.htm

Price includes shipping

Stan Smith
03-10-2003, 7:15 PM
no text