PDA

View Full Version : TV in the shop?

Kev Godwin
02-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm curious to know if other woodworkers have TV's in their shops. I use mine to watch DVD's on woodworking and to watch some football, golf, etc, etc. My very supportive wife seems to think that is a bit much for a "work" area. Do other Creekers have such entertainment in their shops?:rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments. (I hope to show my wife the results.)
Kev

Paul Kinneberg
02-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Absolutely! I have cable connected and several speakers mounted in the ceiling through out the shop. Like you I watch ww videos's and football or just listen to the stereo.

Chris Rosenberger
02-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Yes I have a TV in my shop.

Aaron Dunham
02-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Just Sirius so I can listen to Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Superman, Have Gun Will Travel, etc. while I work.

John Gregory
02-08-2008, 11:12 PM
A tv, yes. To watch the Utah Jazz

Dave Malen
02-08-2008, 11:30 PM
but I don't get much accomplished when it's on.

Dave

Steve Roxberg
02-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Yes, and always will. I'm also smart enough to not watch it when I'm working with equipment.

James Wellman
02-09-2008, 12:15 AM
I have my PC with a HD Hauppage tuner card to watch TV. I like it for instructional videos, TV and what not. My garage/shop is also my "man-cave".

James

Chuck Burns
02-09-2008, 1:24 AM
No TV, just an Apple speaker box for my iPod. I think TV would distract me a be unsafe. Though I am thinking of getting a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 3's to wear in the shop.

Rich Engelhardt
02-09-2008, 2:42 AM
Hello,

The "shop" is one place I go to escape the "brain eater".

I swear I can see this plasmatic cloud of brain material being sucked out of my grandson's head - through his eyes - as he sits transfixed to the cartoon channel.

By an odd coincidence - and bear in mind it's 2:30am - I'm on the verge of committing mayhem against the one eyed brain sucker in the bedroom.
My wife fell asleep with an Alfred Hitchcock DVD in the player....

FWIW - when a DVD plays to the end, it recycles to the opening screen.
I've had the Alfred Hitchcok theme playing over, and over, and over and over and over and over - for who knows how long.

ARGGGGGGG!!!!:eek:

Noah Vig
02-09-2008, 2:43 AM
No, just a radio.

Terry Teadtke
02-09-2008, 3:04 AM
Until I was distracted and dadoed my finger. Had the TV on basically as background noise while ripping stock, something on TV caught my attention for a fraction of a second, then the saw blade got my attention in a big way!:eek: Stupid $2700 emergency room mistake on my part. I’ll just stick to the radio.

Terry

Ray Turney
02-09-2008, 8:04 AM
Two radios, one in the front of the shop, the other in the back, both tuned to the same station (classical music) My son comes into the shop and just rolls his eyes and says, that music is going to put you to sleep and your going to fall on your saw. No TV

Bob Slater
02-09-2008, 8:08 AM
I might buy a flat panel, but would only watch when on break. I do have 12 speakers, individual room volume controls, an old Imac loaded with Itunes going through a high end sound box into one 200 watt Citation amp and one 35 watt Kora Tube Amp. All my stereo gear got banned from the living space, so my shop is meant to be my listening room. Will probably invest in acoustic enhancements down the road.

Al Willits
02-09-2008, 8:17 AM
Used to, but like Dave it was to easy to get stareitis and end up watching TV all afternoon, it finally broke and I get much more done now.

Installed a tri amped stereo and a pair of DIY speakers simliar to the JBL 100 series, and that is on when I'm in the garage now.

Although we have a old 19" TV that just sits in the basement and someday I might make a entertainment cabinet for the garage and bring it out there...someday.

But I could see shutting a TV off when your playing with sharp tools.

Al

John W. Willis
02-09-2008, 8:26 AM
Nothing, no tv, no radio. It's kind of nice being able to hear what it sounds like when you run your hand over a piece of wood.

Lee Koepke
02-09-2008, 8:35 AM
i have an old tv and receiver.

i like background noise and i find myself forgetting its even on. i put it down there during football season, and its not in the way right now, so it stays :p

Roger Fournier
02-09-2008, 8:35 AM
I do - mostly have whatever sport is in season on. I never follow the game very intently and I have never found it to be a distraction when operating tools. If I ever thought it would compromise my safety, it would be gone.

Tom Hamilton
02-09-2008, 8:43 AM
Yes, TV and stereo. After 61 years of TV and radio I just naturally turn one on when I'm in the shop.

The TV is mounted high on the wall one a swivel bracket and I can keep an eye on Tiger's shotmaking from anywhere in the shop. Since mine is a hobby shop I can afford to pause and see if the putt drops. Pros working to feed the family probably can't do that.

Of course the other shop tool that is really important is the air conditioner!

Best regards, Tom, in Houston where it will be 75 today.

Bryan Froden
02-09-2008, 8:48 AM
I've refused to have a tv in the shop because there is never anything good on, but now that Daytona is here, you never know

Jim Becker
02-09-2008, 10:35 AM
No TV in my shop...I listen to the radio, however, whenever I'm in there. Local, non-commercial music station WXPN.org. (I may put an old computer out there so I can listen to the streaming which further eliminates the "talk")

Heck, I don't really watch any TV in the house...outside of local news and part of GMA when I first wake up.

glenn bradley
02-09-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't even have TV in the house. Waste of time. I do run music in the shop almost constantly though.

Jon Lanier
02-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes I do, I watch or at least have it on most the time. If anything for background noise. I like Discovery/History channel... and reruns of Star Trek at 5pm (if I'm in there at that time).

Rick Gifford
02-09-2008, 2:37 PM
Oh yes. I hate missing my favorite shows, so now I can watch them and mess around the shop.

Sometimes its good to take a break from the woodwork and a little boobtube heps.

Gary Keedwell
02-09-2008, 2:48 PM
Yes I do have a TV in my shop. The TV is in the assembly work out area. My machines are on the other side of the shop.;)

Gary

Pat Keefe
02-09-2008, 3:03 PM
No TV, a stereo that I normally forget to turn on. Normally listening to the Lathe or the saw thru ear protectors. Even have my family trained that if they here machinery noise, wait to I am finished or notice them at the door. Otherwise I can sit in the shed in peace and quiet with a contemplative beverage :D

Greg Just
02-09-2008, 4:05 PM
yes, but it hard to hear over the dust collector

Theresa Keihn
02-09-2008, 5:17 PM
I have a small TV and cable connection.

William Nimmo
02-09-2008, 5:37 PM
In the shop once and a while I turn the tv on for a football game and I wonder why. I am so consumed in the project I never look up. If it is a Giant game,however, I am in my Home theater and never miss a play. Especially this year.(hidden football gloat).
My stereo is on always. Most of my music listening is is done via satelite on an old stereo amp and old speakers that happen to sound great. I am in New york and there are no Country music stations except for satelite.
No one in Ny knows who kenny chesney, trace atkins or alan jackson is.

John Fricke
02-09-2008, 6:23 PM
I want one and I am working on getting my XM rigged for in the shop

Steve Rozmiarek
02-09-2008, 6:49 PM
Nope. I go to the shop to work wood, and for some reason I am incapable of doing anything else if there is a stupid TV on. XM is great though...

Von Bickley
02-09-2008, 7:42 PM
TV, radio & refrigerator......:D

Rick Gifford
02-09-2008, 8:35 PM
FWI, I have an extra computer I plan to put in the shop. Will use it to look up information if needed when doing a project. I guess the next poll wil be "Who has a computer in the shop?" lol.

My wife kids me I could live out there. I think she'll draw the line when I start shopping for cots ;)

Paul Kehl
02-09-2008, 9:25 PM
I have the shop wired for a TV and PC in the assembly area, which I will probably not put up. PC may be used for layouts. I did not in my last shop but while wiring why not. I always listen to music, sat or CD. If power tools are in use, I listen through quality noise canceling headphones which I wear while doing other time consuming thing --mowing the lawn or anything else noisy.

Paul Coffin
02-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Satellite receiver, TV, surround sound, NFL Sunday ticket.....life is good!:D

Kev Godwin
02-10-2008, 3:35 PM
Thanks for everyones great comments on my question. My LOML has a new perspective. She even asked me if I planned to upgrade to an HDTV or if I would use a converter on the shop TV for next February!

Thanks Creekers!!! :)
Kev

Ted Baca
02-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Yep guilty I have a 13" hanging on the wall, and DirecTV tuner so I can also have XM radio with a stereo wired to all. I actually wouldn't mind having a 20" TV but extra money goes for tools. It is nice to watch whne you hit that mental block on setting up a joint or cut or whatever.

Bill Neely
02-11-2008, 1:47 AM
I haven't watched TV in 15 years...am I missing anything? ;)

Tom Veatch
02-11-2008, 1:51 AM
Nope. Don't even watch tv in the house. No radio in the shop either. Couldn't hear it wearing the hearing protectors so no point having one out there. Do have a telephone extension in the shop, but have the ringer turned off. Don't need calls from political candidates while I'm in the shop (or ever for that matter). Go to the shop to do stuff.

Tom Veatch
02-11-2008, 1:53 AM
I haven't watched TV in 15 years...am I missing anything? ;)

Yep. You're missing an excellent opportunity to waste an amazing amount of time.

Bill Ryall
02-11-2008, 6:32 AM
TV, stereo, fridge. TV has NEVER been turned on. Don't know if it is even plugged in.

Stereo is usually on.

Gary Muto
02-11-2008, 8:21 AM
I have my old A/V reciever and 2 huge speakers. Sounds great when tools aren't running. I keep meaning to program the remote so I can use it for the dust collection system too.

Mark Roderick
02-11-2008, 8:55 AM
Of course I have a TV in my shop! I watch sporting events of all kinds, and on weekday evenings I watch re-runs of Seinfeld and Everybody Love Raymond.

I mounted the TV on a wall on one of those swivel fixtures, so it doesn't get in the way and I can turn it to face any direction.

The weekend of the NFL conference finals, I took the next step and moved a comfortable chair into the shop, in front of the TV. My wife wasn't real happy with that. She refers to my shop as my "sanctuary" but she doesn't really smile when she says it.

Peter M. Spirito
02-11-2008, 8:00 PM
I have Direct TV in the shop (and A/C and heat) but I don't feel I can safely run shop equipment and watch New Yankee Workshop or NASCAR. However my son gave me an IPOD this year. I run the cord down inside of my shirt with the IPOD in my back pocket. I use different headphones and not the little earbuds. The head phones do a pretty good job of replacing the ear muffs for sound protection. :cool:

Jim Broestler
02-12-2008, 8:51 AM
Not in a million years. I don't even have so much as a decent antenna hooked up to the one t.v. we do have. Heck, I don't even allow a t.v. in the bedrooms. I go to my shop to do woodworking, and a t.v. would distract way too much. I do keep a radio on though, for background noise mostly.

Bob Willcox
02-12-2008, 8:59 AM
I have an LCD TV hanging from the ceiling in my shop but only use it to watch various woodworking/instructional stuff. I find TV way too dsitracting for me to have on whenever I am attempting to do anything, let alone operate dangerous machinery. Usually I only listen to XM radio when in the shop.

Rod Sheridan
02-12-2008, 9:03 AM
I don't have a radio or television receiver in the shop, or iPod, or XM Radio.

I go to the shop to work in the shop, and get away from electronic distractions.

I work in an earth station for a satelite company and I guess I see enough computer screens/video monitors at work, that I don't want to see them in the shop.

That said, I use a computer in the shop for drawings.

Regards, Rod.

Jon Bonham
02-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a 37" HDTV in my shop, but I like background noise.

Chris Padilla
02-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Yep, got a TV and hooked it up to my satellite dish/DVR. I also have a radio and I switch between the two as needed. There is nothing like getting some quality time in the shop with a football game on in the background and knowing I can stop/start/rewind/ff via the DVR to catch anything exciting. Otherwise, I "listen" to the TV and not so much watch it.

It is very interesting how diverse we all are with/without TV/Radio in our shops! Different strokes for differnet folks! :)

Dan Bussiere
02-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Since I am much more successful as a tool collector than a woodworker, the TV and Ipod with surround sound are just more tools.

;)Right?;)

Mick Zelaska
02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
I just listen to my docked IPOD. I think TV would be too much of a distraction. I'd hate to ruin a dramatic touchdown by cutting off my finger, then bleed to death waiting for the ruling on the coaches challenge!

Mike Seals
02-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Lets see, a 25" in the corner, a 13" in the office (in the shop) two stereos hooked to computers, three PC's. What I normally do it put the PC on line to pandora and listen to what I'm in the mood for. The TV is for the weather and news.

Brian Dormer
02-12-2008, 4:20 PM
Ipod and Radio - yes! TV - NO! Too much possibility for distraction. I'd like to leave this world with the same number of fingers I came into it with.

Bill White
02-12-2008, 4:32 PM
Just my 1978 Sony solid state amp w/ 2 Epicure speakers. Hooked up a "boom box" for the tuner and cd player. Rock on! When I'm alone, I can turn it up 'till my eyes bleed.
Bill (What hearing loss? Huh?)

Jeff Cybulski
02-12-2008, 8:38 PM
27" hooked up to my Dish satellite and run thru some Altec Lansing PC speakers. Mostly listen to Outlaw Country on SIRUS or ESPN. But hey, Baseball is juts around the corner. Living in Okieland we get a lot of games on the dish. Plus my Mets from WPIX in NYC....can't wait

Jeff

Travis Gauger
02-19-2008, 4:13 PM
Oh yeah. LCD TV, Suround Sound w/ sub, etc. Now that football season is over though, it doesn't get much use. Mostly the radio.

Richard M. Wolfe
02-19-2008, 4:37 PM
No TV, no radio.

I bought a radio to put in the shop and did use it for a while. I must be one of those that's no good at multi-tasking. When I was working on something I wasn't even aware the radio was on......so why have it? It's stuck back somewhere in the paint room now.

John Schumer
02-19-2008, 10:14 PM
No TV for me...........
I have an Ipod docked to a Zeppelin, just to listen to music.

Ben Cadotte
02-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Just a small boombox radio. Antenna broke first time it fell. But the station I like comes in real good so never fixed it. I turn it on so I don't hear myself talking to myself. :confused: :D:D

Denny Rice
04-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Last yr. my wife and I purchased a new HDTV LCD for the house and I took the 27" Sony out to the shop. I purchased a 50.00 base to mount tv to the wall. Getting a signal out into the shop was not a problem either, when we had our Dish network hooked up 5 yrs ago, we had the dish mounted to my shop, not the house. Dish network ran all the cables underground in my yard into the house, so the tv in my shop shares a receiver with the one in my bedroom. Then the other receiver our DVR is connected to our new main TV and in my sons bedroom. A very cool setup.

Matt Robinette
04-05-2008, 2:01 AM
Yes a 25 year old sony plus a dvd and vhs player. I also have a big sony boom box a frig and a lazy boy. It is my shop and I work when I want and relax when I want, I call woodworking a "HOBBY". It isn't my job and when a project get complicated and I need to think about it I shut down the machines pop the top on my favorite beverage which is a coke plop my butt in the lazy boy and think about it. Maybe turn on some tunes or the idiot box. I will get back to the project....sometime. Unless it is a project for my wife then it is workie workie or no.. dinner.

Tim Anderson
04-05-2008, 6:53 AM
Lets see, TV, stereo, fridge, microwave, and one of those bag chairs that I have been known to take a nap in. I guess man cave is a good description. Put a ball game on for background noise and go to work. Oh, yeh the gas grill is outside the door.

Don Bullock
04-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm curious to know if other woodworkers have TV's in their shops. I use mine to watch DVD's on woodworking and to watch some football, golf, etc, etc. My very supportive wife seems to think that is a bit much for a "work" area. Do other Creekers have such entertainment in their shops?:rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments. (I hope to show my wife the results.)
Kev

Like you I have mentioned the possibility to SWMBO and gotten the same result. Right now I have an iPod Shuttle that she bought me. It hooks into my WorkTunes. When I'm working with the DC or vacuum on or I'm working at some machines I use it a lot. I won't use it for router table or table saw because I don't want any distractions.

I'm planning in my new shop, hopefully soon, to have a TV. I'd especially like to have one for my NASCAR races and to watch WWing videos. If I do put one in the shop it will be fairly far down on my list of things to do, so I don't expect to have one out there soon.

Ben Griffin
04-05-2008, 1:05 PM
I don't have a TV in the shop, but someday I will. I want to be able to review instruction videos while I'm in the shop.

Is there any issues with dust and LCD tvs ?

My little cd player has trouble every so often with dust getting inside it. Amazing how a disk spinning so fast would still have dust stuck to it.

Jim O'Dell
04-05-2008, 2:29 PM
I don't have a TV there now, but I have one, if it still works (it's the previous house TV), that I plan to use out there. Like others have said, for instructional videos. If the TV does not work, then I do have an old computer to take out there, and could easily get a DVD player for it and watch from there. In fact, that might be the best idea. I could have my other woodworking software that way too. Jim.

Mike Gager
04-05-2008, 4:07 PM
i just got a 19" from my wifes grandma that i plan on putting out in the garage. when i told my wife that she looked at me like i was crazy.

i just have to figure out how to get cable out there :confused:

oh and do you guys do anything to keep dust from getting into the tv and messing it up or is that not really a problem?

i have a cd player out there now and its constantly getting caked with dust i have to wipe it off before opening the lid. i dont have a dust collector or air filter would those help with that problem?

David Mitchell
04-08-2008, 9:12 AM
A TV mounted high, hooked up to a Sat dish as well as a computer with Internet access. I find that when I'm working by myself it is on a music channel from dish. I have a friend who likes to visit and he usually has his twin 5 years old boys in tow. I plunk them down in front of it and get them a cartoon channel and don't have to worry one bit about them wandering around getting into trouble. The internet access I find very useful especially with sites such as this. Had another friend visit yesterday while "We" were busy making dressers for the twins and he wondered why I don't have a beer frig to go along with the microwave and coffee maker. Told him that is not on the "agenda". I have been known to tip one or two back and to me beer and tools with fast moving parts don't mix!!

Jason Christenson
04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I have a radio/CD player that I listen to most of the time and a microwave that I picked up off of freecycle with the intention of using it to dry bowls. I've only used the microwave once in about two years. No TV...yet. I would be more inclined to go to the effort if I got the DIY network in the basement but I don't.

Jason

Dave Lessley
04-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I do have a 13inch TV but live out in the woods. No Cable, no dish, no reception. Have not felt the need to put up an outside antenna. My second hand stereo receiver works pretty good off a standard FM di-pole antenna.

I must be getting old or something but I'm getting tired of having something coming at me all the time with or without commercials. It's almost like we can't be alone with our own thoughts anymore.

For me the shop is a great place to think about things existing projects, new projects, how I'm raising my kids, how I treat my wife. Then I think about how often she gets that chance to be alone with her thoughts to sort things out. So I shut down the shop grab the kids and take them to the park, bike riding or my favorite to garage or yard sales. The sad thing is my wife usually uses that time to catch up on chores. It works best when I tell her to call her friends and organize a desert run. The moms all gather at a local resturant and have desert or what ever together and talk it all out. She comes home the kids are in bed I'm out in the shop back to thinking and working on projects, she smiles gives me a hug and then shares a big chunk of leftover choclate something or other.

Craig Nickles
09-28-2008, 6:47 PM
Yes! Cable, Stereo hook up for the IPOD as well, so I can listen to WWing podcasts and music.

Jim Mattheiss
09-28-2008, 9:25 PM
NO TV.

I have a PC by the workbench in the basement and a pair of remote PC speakers (with subwoofer and satellite speakers) in the garage.

I listen to i-Tunes radio stations (no country FM stations in my portion of the NJ), mp3s and various podcasts.

Craig Nickles mentioned WW podcasts. Anyone have any recommendations?

The background noise is welcome during thinking/setup moments. AS soon as I turn on the dust collection and power tools the ear protection goes on and I can't hear anything but the tools anyway.

If I wore the radio/noise canceling headphones others have mentioned it could be an issue.

Cheers

Jim