PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times Do You Have To Tell Me!!

John Bush
02-08-2008, 9:49 PM
Worked in the shop 'til ~ 8:00 last evening, went to the office for the usual Fri. 6:00 to 12:00 patient load, came home to an empty house(no spouse or kids), thought I could get some uninterrupted shop time in, things in the shop seemed a bit "different", looked up at my newly organized rack of power tools---------------- and they were all gone!!
We had a night visitor or two. They were selective enough to take only things in cases. They left the SawStop.

MORALE OF THE STORY: MAKE AN INVENTORY OF ALL YOUR STUFF AND RECORD SERIAL ##S. TAKE PICS. MARK EACH CASE WITH SOME OBNOXIOUS COLOR AND ENGRAVE AN ID ## OR NAME ON EACH TOOL. CHECK WITH YOUR INS. AGENT TO VERIFY APPROPRIATE COVERAGE.(my $1000 deductble isn't going to go far---oh I forgot, they were all Festool).

We live in a whoop-de-do community and I installed automatic gates for my drive(to keep the honest ones out) and that didn't stop the suspected methheads.

OK, NOW GET OFF YOUR COLLECTIVE COLONS AND DO AS I SAY!!

P.S.: Any one have some extra tools for sale??

Best( and better) wishes. John

keith ouellette
02-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I had equipment stolen not to long ago and could not find any of my serial numbers. I can really feel your pain.

Greg Funk
02-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Sorry for your lost tools. I've been thinking of doing an inventory, maybe this will be my motiviation. Was your shop monitored or part of your house alarm?

Greg

glenn bradley
02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I rest easier with my alarm system but I hope it never gets tested. They help but like gates, they don't keep 'em out if they really want in. I got it (of course) after being burglarized, duh!. Battery back-up, cellular back-up, money off my home owners insurance for having it. Receipts for everything in the fireproof box. I should grind some identifying marks on the expensive stuff though. . .

Bill Wyko
02-09-2008, 12:47 AM
John, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Check your local pawn shops first. Post on Craigs list that you WTB the same tools but just give a phone#. I've got a kid that lives right behind me that tags the neighborhood and steals bikes and keeps them in his shead. I can't get any help from the police w/o catching them in the act. I hate thieves.:mad:

Bill Borchardt
02-09-2008, 6:52 AM
I feel your pain!

A good reminder to the rest of us.

Although I am a Christian and am supposed to forgive . . . . . .
- I hope the crack head(s) cuts off a finger trying to figure out some tool.

Billbo
Smyrna GA

Rich Schneider
02-09-2008, 7:47 AM
Wow that's awful...its been a couple years since I did an inventory so it is a good reminder...on another note I've received conflicting info over the years as to how an insurer will place a value on tools for replacement purposes....I'm curious for to hear from those who have had a loss (fire, theft, etc) how your insurer handled the claim...I keep my receipts in addition to the serial numbers, etc, but I don't know if the receipts do much good other than giving the insurance company an idea of what I paid at the time and how old the tool was...and then I've heard that some companies will take that information, figure depreciation and say it was worth $0....

Bob Slater
02-09-2008, 7:51 AM
Everyones worst fear. I hope it doesn't happen again. MY stuff is in a dodgy neighbourhood with a halfway house around the corner. I keep an ultra low profile and have an alarm.

Michael Ward
02-09-2008, 8:53 AM
Wow, that's terrible. My mother-in-law left my house one day and left the garage door (Shop Door) WIDE OPEN.......might as well have left a sign out in the front yard. I was lucky, though, I only lost my Porter cable framing nailer and a staple gun, despite 10 or so other expensive portable tools sitting right next to them. From that day onward I inventory and document everything, including homemade jigs, etc. that have significant value to the business.

Again, my sympathies.

Michael

Mike Heidrick
02-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Your post makes my stomach turn. That and fire are my worst fears.
I really feal for you. Sorry to read this.

So - new tool opportunity on the bright side! Still sucks.

I would let you borrow some tools until you can replace them but you are a bit far. Hope you get back on your feet soon.

Jim Becker
02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Bummer. Sorry to hear about this!

But you are in luck relative to the Festool serial numbers...you can get them from Festool as you are registered automatically when you buy them. It's one of the little niceties about how they do business. You want to get that information out so that the items will be harder to fence. So call your Festool source ASAP and get the ball rolling...

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2008, 10:26 AM
John.....Sorry to hear of your loss! That's the pits!

Greg Deakins
02-09-2008, 10:27 AM
two words for ya! "shop dog"

Tim Sgrazzutti
02-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss, that is truly unfortunate. Make sure to check pawnshops, ebay, and your local craigslist tools listings. If you find your stuff there, you may be able to get some results with the police. Our church recently had some expensive audio equipment stolen, found it for sale on ebay, and successfully prosecuted those responsible.

That said, the best solution is to prevent theft in the first place. All of my portable power tools are on shelves in a steel cabinet with a lock. I do this as much to keep my kids safe, as to prevent theft. The cabinet doesn't need to be heavy duty to be a theft deterrent. If it would take anybody more than a minute or two to get into, they'll probably leave to find an easier target.

As has been pointed out before, locks only keep the honest people out.

Good luck reclaiming your lost toys.

Tim

Vernon Taylor
02-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Wow that's awful...its been a couple years since I did an inventory so it is a good reminder...on another note I've received conflicting info over the years as to how an insurer will place a value on tools for replacement purposes....I'm curious for to hear from those who have had a loss (fire, theft, etc) how your insurer handled the claim...I keep my receipts in addition to the serial numbers, etc, but I don't know if the receipts do much good other than giving the insurance company an idea of what I paid at the time and how old the tool was...and then I've heard that some companies will take that information, figure depreciation and say it was worth $0....

Insurance policies are much like tools in that you get what you pay for. Various levels of coverage are available.
in the case of homeowners insurance there are generally HO-2 HO3,Ho5 and Ho-8. You need to discuss thjese with your agent to get a full explanation of the differences and how much protection you wish to purchase. The less expensive forms do not have replacement cost coverage,but will cover the depreciated cost value. The higher cost policies will provide replacement cost but you generally will have to replace the item .In all cases it is incumbant upon you to provide "proof of loss" I strongly urge everyone to have an annual review of their insurance and do not just buy insurance solely on price. Better coverage beyond just the basic particularily as regards liability is not cost prohibitive. A good agent will take take the time to evaluate your exposure(risk) and make reccomendations.

Russ Sears
02-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I was a theft victim recently too (posted in another thread). My loss sounds like it was much less than yours, about $400, but it's still an awful feeling.

The suggestions above are excellent. I'm taking some time TODAY to take pictures of everything and figure out how to mark them.

Bob Feeser
02-09-2008, 11:15 AM
People who lie, cheat, and steal are either too lazy, or too stupid to figure out how to get what they want honestly. Things that have been stolen from us, and it does happen to everyone at some point, are usually the hardest things to forget. I had a shop and was robbed blind by my own employees. I love the US, born, raised 3rd generation, but the one thing I can't stand is how so many people sit around at Christmas time, and brag about the cases of stuff they can get for you, because there are so many of them at work. As I understand it, in Japan if someone loses a wallet, they simply go to there local police station, and more often then not, there it is. Stealing from an employer is considered a disgrace.

I understand your pain. Not only are your things gone, but you feel violated. The one place that you go to get away from the stress and strain of the world has been invaded, leaving an indelible mark.

I know it isn't easy, but you have to prevent the poisin of their actions from getting inside of you. Seek a way to overcome the loss. Maybe position yourself for an unexpected gain with the intent of replacing everything with the results.

One thing that is really important. A friend of mine had his house ransacked, and you think that the travesty would never repeat itself. That is in erroneous conclusion. The theives know the place now. They often hit the same place twice. So prepare for it. Some method of gaining identifying information from the place of entry would be a good idea. You have to make it twice as secure as before. Even now you may have fingerprints. I guess I am rambling. You're not alone.

Peter Quinn
02-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Sorry for that loss. I had a Haitian voodoo priestess put a hex on everything portable. Someone steals it, they cut of a finger each time they use it. Has been working so far. Going to shop no to record serial numbers just in case.

Eric Mims
02-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I ran around the other night when the tornadoes were coming (here in TN) and snapped digital images of everything, all machines, all drawer contents, etc. It's better than nothing.

John Bush
02-09-2008, 1:37 PM
Thanks for all of the warm sentiment.

After the initial shock has diminished, I realized they only took tools in cases. Easy crash and dash. I had my plate joiner and new PC router on the workbench with their cases nearby and they were't touched. A few hand tools were peeled off their hangers, including my favorite monster channel locks that I "borrowed" from my dad 25 years ago. They dumped out two large trash cans and put all the stuff in them. I have an open cabinet full of other power tools not in cases and they didn't take any of them. Go figure!!

I suggest the second moral to the tale is tools not in cases are not as easy to fence. JCB.

Joe Chritz
02-09-2008, 1:45 PM
Just want to add that if you chose to engrave information on the tools use something that is easy to recognize.

No ss#
Here in MI we call it an OAN for the crime computers, an owner applied number. I recommend using your ops code. Each state is different but when a case is broken there will usually be a pile of property that has no owners. Most cops can make a guess on a number and figure it is an ops code, then we can track you down.

Pictures or a video walk through is also a good idea.

Joe

Jim Becker
02-09-2008, 2:43 PM
Joe...what's an "ops code"????

Per Swenson
02-09-2008, 5:37 PM
My guess, Owners personal signature.

John,

That just sux.

Our solution here in Northern New Jersey,

Dogs, Attack cats.

Per

Colin Giersberg
02-09-2008, 8:26 PM
Sorry about your loss.

Every time I buy a new tool, regardless of cost, I inventory it as soon as i get home with it. I use MS Excel and record the manufacturer, Serial #, Model #, Price, how many of them, total cost, tax, and the final total.
It is pretty easy to set that up in Excel, and I have recently began taking pictures of all of my tools. If I have more than one of any given tool, I take a single photo of that, and another with the others of the same tool to prove how many I do have. When I print the pictures, I will record the same information on the back of those too. I also plan on having more than one copy of that information, stored in different locations, just in case.

I hope they catch the thief, and you get your tools back.

Regards, Colin

Joe Chritz
02-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Joe...what's an "ops code"????

Sorry. Operators license code. Drivers license in some areas but each state will have a number listed. With access to the right computers we can get all your contact info from that number and most cops will recognize it for what it is when they see the number scratched onto the item.

Locks only keep honest people honest. The best you can do is fortify enough to make it easier to hit the neighbor. If you have the funds a silent alarm that is monitored is really nice. Often we can catch them in the act that way and that is always fun.

Joe

Ted Jay
02-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Just want to add that if you chose to engrave information on the tools use something that is easy to recognize.

No ss#
Here in MI we call it an OAN for the crime computers, an owner applied number. I recommend using your ops code. Each state is different but when a case is broken there will usually be a pile of property that has no owners. Most cops can make a guess on a number and figure it is an ops code, then we can track you down.

Pictures or a video walk through is also a good idea.

Joe

Just to make it easier for our law enforcment to help get your stuff back and prosecute the scumbags that took your stuff. Mark your tools like this: http://www.microdotprotection.com/home.html (http://www.microdotprotection.com/home.html). it's a marking Id system popular with motorcyclists, like me. You paint it on, after it dries it is almost invisible to the naked eye, and you go online to register the serial number. For $25 bucks it couldn't hurt.
my .02 cents worth.
Ted

Tim Byars
02-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Ok, that's it...this thread means I go ahead with that plan in the back of my mind to put a dog door in, to give the mutts access to the garage (shop).

Joe Petersen
02-10-2008, 1:04 AM
I have mistakenly left the garage door open on several occasions. It could have been a free-for-all except everyone around here knows I'm a cheapass and tools aren't worth a lot of cash money, just to someone that wants to use them.

I'm the only guy within a mile with tools, and someone running down the road would look awful suspicious. Especially this close to Atlanta and people ALWAYS on the roads. I'm kind of scary too.

Time to lock the garage just in case.

Dave MacArthur
02-10-2008, 3:30 AM
Terrible to hear about your loss. Weird timing though...
Last week I had a monitored alarm system installed in the house.
I spent all last night taking photos of everything in my shop, serial numbers too. And when I was all done, I realized I couldn't find my DeWalt Biscuit joiner! I searched for hours, and again today--opened every box in the shop. Nada. I told my wife I think one of the bugspray guys must have taken it... they are the only folks who have ever had access to my garage unmonitored. I've always followed them out myself, but my wife tells me they've come several times and she just let them work through the garage... Won't be happening again.
I understand your feeling, just on a smaller magnitude.
Earlier I spent some time looking for an auxiliary system to add to my security alarm, whereby when the alarm is activated some electro magnets drive some large bolts through the sides of the garage doors. I don't have sensors on them, but plan on getting them now also--HD has a kit that will show you constantly the state of your garage doors for when you forget to close them during the day.

Rich Engelhardt
02-10-2008, 5:17 AM
Hello,

I suggest the second moral to the tale is tools not in cases are not as easy to fence
Might want to check CL.
I see w/case specifed a lot in the listings.

Tim Marks
02-10-2008, 9:24 AM
looked up at my newly organized rack of power tools
moral of the story #4: don't organize your power tools, it makes them convenient for thieves to find...

They left the SawStop.
Be careful they don't come back with a forklift...:eek:

A house on my block had their garage burglarized.... somebody cut the lock off and stole a few hundred dollars worth of tools. Makes me nervous, since I probably have alot more to loose, and do not have any more secure a setup. I at least put a lock on the inside on the garage door track, so if someone breaks the window on the garage door, they won't be able to reach through it and grab the garage opener release cord and open the door.