PDA

View Full Version : Question about snipe on planer

Steven J Corpstein
02-08-2008, 9:35 PM
I'm getting a very small amount of snipe on the first 2" or so on the infeed and outfeed ends of my boards. I was getting more until I raised the outboard ends of the feed tables about .002 above level.

Now though, the board seems to kick a bit as it first goes in, but yet it has less snipe. Should I be setting the feed tables back to level and be messing with the pressure rollers instead?

The two bed rollers are only about .001 - .002 above the bed so I don't think that is causing it?

Steven J Corpstein
02-09-2008, 7:29 AM
Anybody???

Mike Cutler
02-09-2008, 8:13 AM
I'm getting a very small amount of snipe on the first 2" or so on the infeed and outfeed ends of my boards. I was getting more until I raised the outboard ends of the feed tables about .002 above level.

Now though, the board seems to kick a bit as it first goes in, but yet it has less snipe. Should I be setting the feed tables back to level and be messing with the pressure rollers instead?

The two bed rollers are only about .001 - .002 above the bed so I don't think that is causing it?

Steven.
It does sound as of your pressure rollers could use a little adjustment.

The kicking sounds like the pressure roller is forcing the material down, but the very slight rise in feed roller height is giving the material a little "spring".

Two questions come to mind

1. How much material are you attempting to remove?
2. What brand of planer is it?

Steven J Corpstein
02-09-2008, 9:18 AM
Steven.

Two questions come to mind

1. How much material are you attempting to remove?
2. What brand of planer is it?

Only taking about 1/16th or less on a Steel City 15". The snipe was a bit worse before I raised the tables slightly but it didn't seem to grab the board. I realize there may be some snipe no matter what I do, I'm just trying to minimize it as much as I can.

Lee Koepke
02-09-2008, 10:04 AM
what if you used 'carrier' boards slightly longer than your stock. that way the snipe would occur on the scrap not the finish piece.

that doesnt solve the why, but more of a quick fix.

Dan Owen
02-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Steven,

All planers have snipe. Some just have less than others. A lot of it is relevant to the wood species and the depth of the cut. One little trick I use is to apply just a little upward pressure to the board on the infeed and a little to the board just as the end is leaving the outfeed pressure roller. It takes a little practice because it is a feel thing, but I find it to work very well.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-09-2008, 11:36 AM
What they said. And sharpen your blades.

Joseph N. Myers
02-09-2008, 1:02 PM
And feeding your boards at an angle will help a little, i.e., can't grap as much wood on the input/output!

Regards, Joe

Joe Chritz
02-09-2008, 1:48 PM
Have you measured to see how much snipe it really is.

I though I was getting a lot because I could see it but it was actually only about .002 so I decided to not worry to much.

The big planers are less able to be babied to get the wood in. At least my grizzly is all go once the wood feeds.

Joe