PDA

View Full Version : Adding Color to Rowmark Sign

Sean Bullock
02-08-2008, 6:46 PM
I have a request for a three color sign using Romark LM922-552 Patriot Blue on white core. It will be a logo with a small red dash under one of the words. I figured I could use some kind of paint. Any suggestions?

Also, I have been looking for a three-ply Rowmark type of material for signage. Example: Engraving at differing depths resulting in differing colors. Maybe a red, white and blue. Is there anything like that on the market?

David Lavaneri
02-08-2008, 7:09 PM
Sean,

The layered, multi-color material you mentioned reveals different colors at different depths and is primarily designed for rotary/drag (CNC) equipment.

Not saying that enough experimenation couldn't beat it into submission for laser engraving.

For your multi-color painting question, I would recommend using a reverse-engravable material with a clear core, which would let you paint the various colors from the back side of the plate. Acrylic paints or oil-based enamels should work very well and you wouldn't have to be super-picky about cleaning the paint away from the engraved image, since nobody will see the back of the sign.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Mike Null
02-08-2008, 8:09 PM
I agree with David. I've done a number of name tags adding a single color to an engravable laminate. I use craft paints as I can often come close to the PMS colors the client wants.

Bob Davis
02-10-2008, 2:56 AM
How about just cutting some red signwriting vinyl and adding it? Fast and easy (if you've got a cutter).

Sean Bullock
02-10-2008, 3:14 AM
How about just cutting some red signwriting vinyl and adding it? Fast and easy (if you've got a cutter).

Well, I can cut it, but it would be easier, in my opinion, to just paint it. the red is just about a 3/4" swath under some text. I just thought there might be a preferred paint to use.

Joe Pelonio
02-10-2008, 9:32 AM
Krylon Fusion.

Sean Bullock
02-10-2008, 1:30 PM
Krylon Fusion.

Thanks, Joe.