PDA

View Full Version : Scraping plane

Kieran Kammerer
03-07-2004, 8:21 PM
Has anyone had the chance to use the LN large scraping plane or a plane equivalent to it. If so, what sort of job do you think it would do on a highly figured, curly maple tabletop. I am using a 4-1/2 smoothing plane with regular frog, blade sharpened and bevel at 35 degrees. Still with a lot of tear out. Any and all suggestions welcomed and thanks in advance.

Kieran

Steven Wilson
03-07-2004, 8:28 PM
I have the LN scraper's and they all work well. The large one takes a bit of getting use to but once dialed in works well.

Michael Perata
03-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Kieran

I have the L-N 112 and pick it up more often than the Stanley #80.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/112.jpg

The L-N 112 has good weight and feels very smooth on a board while raising a lot of shavings.

Lee Valley has a scraping plane for $129 but then you need to add $25 to get the same thickness A2 blade.

Mark Singer
03-07-2004, 11:30 PM
I have the LN large scraping plane and like it also. I try a variety of planes and scrapers on tops to find the best tool since each wood is different. A card scraper is often the best since you can shorten your strokes. If it is very figured ....sanding is often the only choice since the grain is switching and it will tearout regardless

Alan Turner
03-08-2004, 9:10 AM
I use an HNT Gordon smoother on curly maple. It is bedded very steep, and has a very fine mouth, and thick (1/4") iron. With it I am able to plane curly maple without any tearout. Just a thought. Highland Hdw. has them.
Alan