PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form #14

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2008, 5:38 PM
This is my version of a Southwestern style seedpot. The wood is spalted white birch and is full of cracks, knots and inclusions. It measures 9 ½” diameter x 5 ¼” high, sanded to 400 and finished with Watco Natural Danish Oil.

81099 81100 81101 81102

I would like to know your opinion as to the form. If you could change something on it - what would you do different? If you like it – why? I am also requesting your critique on the photography. Seriously, tell me what you think!

As always – any and all comments, suggestions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Bill Wyko
02-08-2008, 6:09 PM
Steve, the only thing I would change would be from your hands to mine:D Beautiful piece, nice choice of wood and perfect finish. Great job my friend.:)

Tony Wheeler
02-08-2008, 6:15 PM
good job I really like this shape having done only one hollow form I can appericate that skill to make the change from the top line to the cruve of the bottom without making the inside larger that the outside trust me I know

Bob Justin
02-08-2008, 7:31 PM
Very nice seedpot, wish I had about half the skill to match what you just did. It looks great! :)

It looks like you shot your pictures in one of the white photo tents. if there is a menu option to adjust the white background setting for your camera, it sometimes helps to make the tent less noticeable and your object stand out more. My preference is to make the entire base and background as close to invisible as possible so the art work takes all of center stage.

Hilel Salomon
02-08-2008, 7:43 PM
Darn,

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was that I wanted it... When I read Bill's comments the only thing I could think of was that Bill had somehow read my mind. Stop it Bill. Every item Steve has ever posted has been great. Hilel.

Ron McKinley
02-08-2008, 8:02 PM
Steve: Beautiful piece. My only suggestion would be to burn 1-3 lines starting at the base of the neck. I like the shape. In my view it just needs a little "something" to make it jump out at you........Ron

Ron McKinley
02-08-2008, 8:13 PM
I tried it in Photoshop but can't decide it it's an improvement or not......Ron81110

Ben Gastfriend
02-08-2008, 8:17 PM
Wow, Steve! You're making us all look bad! I love the curve of that piece- and the photography! The only thing I'd add is a top view photograph. Amazing!

robert hainstock
02-08-2008, 8:31 PM
What they said. Thanks again for the muscle today. :):) I would like to see that basic form with a sharp transition line, (edge)as are some of the pot plans in Highland's cat.
Bob

Brian McInturff
02-08-2008, 8:46 PM
Steve,
I was trying to decide if I liked the high neck or not. Then scrolling down to read other comments I see the pic with the black lines. That really adds to the high neck and I really like it. And of course, I love the wood you chose for this. The knot on the lower half really caught my eye. Gorgeous piece!!

Kurt Bird
02-08-2008, 8:51 PM
Steve,
I am by no means an expert, but I think I would like to see this piece with a less sharp radius at the widest point. A little more gradual sweep from the bottom to the top is what I mean. Otherwise, great wood and a good form. Keep 'em coming!
Kurt Bird:)

Bob Hallowell
02-08-2008, 9:09 PM
Steve,
you just keep knocking them out of the park!

Bob

Arlan Ten Kley
02-08-2008, 9:24 PM
Steve, you have been working with some fantastic wood lately! It looks like you have executed your version flawlessly. My mind goes back and forth about the top lines. I like the tapered neck and its transition to the top surface. They remind me of a mesa on the southwest's high desert. The red coloration of the wood adds to this illusion. Then I look at the last picture, from a different perspective, and I think I like the "fuller curve" revealed a bit better.... maybe because it relates it to the bottom curve, more probably because it is more typical and what I am used to seeing. I do like the overall form you created though, particularly the angle formed between the neck and the top.

I find your pictures very pleasing and they seem to reveal all the features of the piece with no highlights to distract me. I look forward to creating a dedicated booth and attempting to achieve the quality you have consistently demonstrated. I suspect you are using a shaded blue background with proper white balance.

Bill Bolen
02-08-2008, 9:33 PM
Another beauty Steve. I like the steep sweep to the mouth. Don't remember seeing one like it before. I too think the doctored photo with the 2 lines really add to this shape....Bill...

Allen Schmid
02-08-2008, 9:53 PM
Steve,
That is a very classic southwest look, would have a hard time picking out anything to change, really. The wood certainly adds a lot to how that form flows together. You have great luck (is it really luck?) with your spalted and figured wood.
A really outstanding job.
Allen

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2008, 10:16 PM
All I can say Steve is that is another beauty. Well done.

Pete Jordan
02-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Looks great Steve! I like the photos also.

Mike A. Smith
02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Well done Steve, the wood is great and the photos are wonderful! I really like the form, maybe the top edge is a bit flat before it flares into the neck? I can't really say it bothers me, just something I noticed and I had to look hard to find it.

Tom Sherman
02-09-2008, 3:20 AM
Steve I like it very much, hard to say why, the wood, work, and finish are top shelf in my book. I originally thought that the top was a bit flat too a little more curve in it maybe, just me tho.I would not be ashamed of displaying it on my table.

Ron Drew
02-09-2008, 9:21 AM
I think you've nailed the design Steve. Being a fan of SW design, I like this piece a lot - I wouldn't change anything. And the wood is beautiful as well. Very nice work.

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2008, 5:30 PM
Thanks everyone for all the kind comments!

Ron McKinley - thanks for taking the time to show me what you were thinking as far as the burn lines to separate the neck area from the body. Honestly - never thought of that! I always figured the spalting, knots, checks, bark, etc had so much going on that you just wouldn't add to that. Your photoshop demo proves that even with busy woods it is an option worth considering - thank you!

Arlan - I do have a dedicated photo booth now and use a graduated very light gray background. I also use daylight (5700K) florescent bulbs to light the scene and find it does cast a slight blue hue to everything. I have tried to eliminate the background color tinting but focus on maintaining the natural color of the piece I am photographing. I am still learning a lot about photos - it's fun but it's not turning!!!

Again, thanks everyone for your input!

Jeff Cremers
02-09-2008, 6:45 PM
I don't know what a seed pot is but it looks very nice, good job

Allen Neighbors
02-09-2008, 7:21 PM
Steve, I love SW forms. I wouldn't change anything about it. (Might make another just like it, and do the rings, though. And then I'd have two of them!) SW forms are beautiful, and you can make them just about any shape, and they'll work. This one really works with that awesome wood!
Your photography doesn't have anything I could complain about, either.
Thanks for posting this.