PDA

View Full Version : Box Lid -- how to wrap the top - Material Suggs??

Michael Cody
03-07-2004, 6:17 PM
Attached image is a sketch of drawing of simple box I am working on... sides are 1/4" curly (somewhat) walnut with a maple burl top insert that is bookmatched.. I didn't have enough burl to make the top out of so I need to wrap it in something about 1/4-3/8" thick by say 3/8-1/2" wide. It will have a small rabbit to allow it to sit on the box ... Bottom of box is just ply but it will be flocked green when I am done.

Question is what material. First I thought cherry, then curly maple, but I am afraid the light curly maple will look wrong with oiled burl (fairly dark) in the center and cherry being just straight grain might not look right either.. was thinking ebony but I don't have anything on hand.. walnut didn't seem right either.

Guess the question is -- since the box is all dark materials .. do I use a light band, colored band or dark band on the top.. "Also" -- should I put a handle on it.. the box should be pretty light looking (I guess that is how you say it) .. since the walls are thin...

Below are pic's of the actual burl insert and a sketchup drawing of the box and lid... any help is appreciated.

Mark Stutz
03-07-2004, 6:30 PM
Mike,
I have some thoughts.

1. In place of ebony you could use ebonized walnut. Would have to "fit" preety close because you couldn't sand or plane much away.
2. Use maple, but separate it from the burl with walnut stringing/inlay...1/8 or 1/4.

I wouldn't interrupt the field of burl with a handle... it might detract from that beautiful piece.

Just my .02 worth. Don't forget pics.

Mark

Michael Cody
03-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Anyone like this approach, been playing with Sketchup some more...