PDA

View Full Version : Light colored walnut??

Chris Yarish
02-08-2008, 4:45 PM
Everytime I see walnut furniture or architectural design elements (normally in more "modern" type settings), the walnut is much much lighter than anything I have used and/or seen....even in my local wood supply store.

Personally, I prefer a lighter colored walnut and definitely steer very clear of making any attempts to darken any light streaks.
Is there a species of walnut that tends to be lighter than "normal", or do I have to try to bleach it and hope for the shade that i want?

Cody Colston
02-08-2008, 5:05 PM
Unlike most woods, Walnut gets lighter with age. Perhaps that's the reason for the light-colored Walnut furniture.

Steve Kohn
02-08-2008, 5:42 PM
Could it be steamed walnut, or walnut sapwood, or even butternut (aka "white" walnut)?

Jim Becker
02-08-2008, 9:38 PM
Unlike most woods, Walnut gets lighter with age. Perhaps that's the reason for the light-colored Walnut furniture.

Yup...absolutely true. I have a small side table in our current TV room that started out dark. Air dried black walnut off our property. Two years later it's a wonderful golden brown.

Claro and English walnut tends to be lighter from the get-go and as Steve mentions, it's sister Butternut is lighter still.